Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

I did two really STUPID things...

Reaction score
...and now my H is a brick...

The first dumbass thing I did, was trying to update the firmware, without making sure the wi-fi was enabled on the aircraft...since I couldn't connect to the a/c with the ST-16, I decided to d/l the update for both from Yuneec's website, and d/l'd it onto a thumb drive, which I plugged into a dongle (one end for standard USB, one end mini USB). I then plugged the mini USB end of the dongle into the female mini USB port on bottom of the main body of the H (right next to the RealSense module/pod).
About this time the phone rang, interrupting my train of thought...(this is why my best friend, an Audi/VW mech, refuses to answer his phone while he's working; he says it cuts his error rate to nearly zero)
After hanging up the phone, I discovered my error with the wi-fi...and...(second dumbass thing) forgot to disconnect the dongle...and hit the button to update the firmware on the aircraft...now...
The aircraft will not respond in any way when the battery is inserted, except that the power button illuminates. Holding down the power button does not shut off the illumination, or cause the a/c to beep, light up, or any other response...I feel sick.
I did successfully update the ST-16...and the ST-16 WILL connect to the camera...but I cannot control the camera---at all. The gimbal works, as it attempts to maintain its attitude when the a/c is picked up and moved in yaw and pitch axes.

Ideas to recover from this huge pile of dookey I jumped into w/both feet??

My advice, poor may it be, is to call Yuneec tomorrow (are you in the US?) when they open in CA, and just tell them exactly what you did. A technician may well be able to walk you through the steps necessary over the phone.

However, if you don't get a favorable outcome, one of our members may well be able to help you sort it out. Be patient.

...and now my H is a brick...

The first dumbass thing I did, was trying to update the firmware, without making sure the wi-fi was enabled on the aircraft...since I couldn't connect to the a/c with the ST-16, I decided to d/l the update for both from Yuneec's website, and d/l'd it onto a thumb drive, which I plugged into a dongle (one end for standard USB, one end mini USB). I then plugged the mini USB end of the dongle into the female mini USB port on bottom of the main body of the H (right next to the RealSense module/pod).
About this time the phone rang, interrupting my train of thought...(this is why my best friend, an Audi/VW mech, refuses to answer his phone while he's working; he says it cuts his error rate to nearly zero)
After hanging up the phone, I discovered my error with the wi-fi...and...(second dumbass thing) forgot to disconnect the dongle...and hit the button to update the firmware on the aircraft...now...
The aircraft will not respond in any way when the battery is inserted, except that the power button illuminates. Holding down the power button does not shut off the illumination, or cause the a/c to beep, light up, or any other response...I feel sick.
I did successfully update the ST-16...and the ST-16 WILL connect to the camera...but I cannot control the camera---at all. The gimbal works, as it attempts to maintain its attitude when the a/c is picked up and moved in yaw and pitch axes.

Ideas to recover from this huge pile of dookey I jumped into w/both feet??

Take a breath first of all. Have you downloaded the app (GUI) yet? Tomorrow, you need to call Yuneec and get a case started. They can send you a special recovery firmware file that you will load via the GUI through that USB mini you connected to in your attempt to load latest firmware. The USB cable came with the H so not sure about the whole adapter bit and dongle but I doubt that connected to anything without the computer and the app involved. A time out during the OTA update via wifi can brick you out and that's what most likely happened.

Yuneec sent me the file and instructions on how to load the firmware into the GUI. I like you, was convinced I had scrambled it behind hope and was very freaked out at being locked out and earlier attempts to connect via GUI were fruitless. But once I connected the USB with that firmware ready to go in the computer, it loaded up and restored it to a working (not flying) state. I then started the whole update process over and did it via SD card as I had done many times before. I don't use the OTA anymore since my brick out during the 3.0 update fun.

Vonov...we just talked on another thread! I had this exact issue with the last firmware update. My H was bricked. I used the GUI software application on my PC to update and unbrick my H. Ill see if I can find the directions I followed but it went something like this: Firmware updates copied on micro USB cards, update ST16 firmware, Boot up ST16, Typhoon H powered off, Boot the GUI app, connect the H via USB cable, GUI application power on, Typhoon H power on, update the H via GUI. Hope this helps

Vonov...we just talked on another thread! I had this exact issue with the last firmware update. My H was bricked. I used the GUI software application on my PC to update and unbrick my H. Ill see if I can find the directions I followed but it went something like this: Firmware updates copied on micro USB cards, update ST16 firmware, Boot up ST16, Typhoon H powered off, Boot the GUI app, connect the H via USB cable, GUI application power on, Typhoon H power on, update the H via GUI. Hope this helps
Can always count on a fellow 'Zonie to help...thanks, Jizzy!!!

Take a breath first of all. Have you downloaded the app (GUI) yet? Tomorrow, you need to call Yuneec and get a case started. They can send you a special recovery firmware file that you will load via the GUI through that USB mini you connected to in your attempt to load latest firmware. The USB cable came with the H so not sure about the whole adapter bit and dongle but I doubt that connected to anything without the computer and the app involved. A time out during the OTA update via wifi can brick you out and that's what most likely happened.

Yuneec sent me the file and instructions on how to load the firmware into the GUI. I like you, was convinced I had scrambled it behind hope and was very freaked out at being locked out and earlier attempts to connect via GUI were fruitless. But once I connected the USB with that firmware ready to go in the computer, it loaded up and restored it to a working (not flying) state. I then started the whole update process over and did it via SD card as I had done many times before. I don't use the OTA anymore since my brick out during the 3.0 update fun.
Thank you, Craig...that helps...breathing normally once again, lol...

For future reference, do not physically connect the H to anything but a computer that has the GUI installed. Use either an SD card, the GUI, or OTA method to perform updates.

'UPDATE' with an earlier version of the firmware, its on Yuneecs download list.
Then once its sorted re-run the new updates and it will be fine, been through tis the first time I updated, exactly the same outcome as yours.

Many thanks, one and all, for the assistance and advice. Reflashed w/version 1.28 (twice, due to flaky cable), then completed update to V3.xx, and autopilot V.1.35. Calibration of camera and accelerometer completed. (Whew...dodged that bullet...)

Many thanks also to Vertigo Drones, for great sale price and install instructions for RealSense module. Very easy install...if you're itching to upgrade to RealSense, the physical installation isn't difficult at all. My boid is happy once again...eagerly awaiting first opportunity to do compass calibration and test flight...very glad there are lots of open fields around here...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cvwritingservices