Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

I thought OA would not allow the H to go below a certain height

Reaction score
So I was experimenting with the Wizard yesterday. I was in Watch Me mode, Obstacle Avoidance on, with legs up (no, not MY legs...the H's! ). I wanted to see how low I could go before OA kicked in and would not allow it to go lower. I brought the H down to about 3 feet and it seemed like it could go lower, but I didn't want to push it.
I thought OA would not allow it to go below a certain height. Am I wrong? If that is not the case, what is the point of having the bottom sensors?

So I was experimenting with the Wizard yesterday. I was in Watch Me mode, Obstacle Avoidance on, with legs up (no, not MY legs...the H's! ). I wanted to see how low I could go before OA kicked in and would not allow it to go lower. I brought the H down to about 3 feet and it seemed like it could go lower, but I didn't want to push it.

Hmm...two things here. First the Wizard. I have used the Wizard a lot with my RS THs, but I don't recall testing that. I shall...Have you memorized all the Wizard button functions, including the 2-button combos? i carry the card in my pocket.:rolleyes:

Second: if you have the RealSense model and are using the ST16, the craft will not land with the legs up, whether OA is on or not. That is a fact. OA should be off anyway if you are landing or taking off.:)

Hmm...two things here. First the Wizard. I have used the Wizard a lot with my RS THs, but I don't recall testing that. I shall...Have you memorized all the Wizard button functions, including the 2-button combos? i carry the card in my pocket.:rolleyes:

Second: if you have the RealSense model and are using the ST16, the craft will not land with the legs up, whether OA is on or not. That is a fact. OA should be off anyway if you are landing or taking off.:)

I'm not sure what your first point is. I was testing different capabilities of the H and Wizard. One of the things I wanted to test was whether or not it would allow itself to land when it shouldn't have. I am close to remembering the Wizard's functions, but still have the card attached to it.
Regarding your second comment, I know exactly what is supposed to be on, off, up down, etc., regarding normal takeoff and landing. However, my test contradicts what is and what is not supposed to happen as OA was on and landing gear was up and if I commanded the H to go below 3 feet and land, it would have allowed me to. Now that I think about it, I read somewhere that OA is not activated until it is at a certain height when taking off, so maybe it gets deactivated when going below that certain height when landing (Not something that I would NORMALLY do). Which leaves the fact that I would have still been able to land with the gear up (again, obviously not something that I would NORMALLY do)

Do you have the RealSense TH? OA is NOT automatic under any circumstances.

I was trying to say that I had not tried that using the Wizard, but I will.
Happy flying...

OA has no involvement with elevation limitations. It is used only in forward facing flight operation. Based upon conversations with Yuneec about how and when OA functions the aircraft needs to be above a certain height (~6') for OA to function. There is also the question of what is meant in the Quick Start Guide quoted below. I'm not certain but I think that blurb is saying the OA will not function when descending straight down at low speeds, such as occurs when landing. The Quick Start Guide also recommends OA be turned off when landing, somewhat supporting that translation.

"With sustainable GPS locked, the Sonar can be activated in Angle (Pilot) mode by switched on with Typhoon H except for the condition that the copter descend vertically at low speed."

I was trying to say that I had not tried that using the Wizard, but I will.

And so he did...just now. I can now say that the RealSense TH, controlled by the Wizard, with OA OFF, will not land with the legs up.
Just as with the ST16, it stops about 4 to 6 feet above ground and refuses to go lower. (IPS in action).

This is a vertical descent, not applicable while moving laterally.
Thanks for the post, Skeets.

I don't use the Wizard, but do use the IPS to fly low to the ground with the landing gear up. With the gear up, I hold the throttle full down and fly low to the ground over large areas. I've never had it allow my bird to drop to lower than a couple feet. In general, it stays 4-5 feet off the ground. You do have to be aware of small ground elevation changes that can sneak up on the IPS.

Accident looking for a place to happen...

All heavier-than-air contraptions are an accident waiting to happen. I have used this low flying technique dozens of times and a failure could happen, just as it could higher up. I don't fault people that don't use all the abilities for the safety of their equipment. I fly for the safety of others and can always repair the equipment, but enjoy using the Typhoon h to it's limits.

What do you think about using the trim function as a cruise control to fly forward without stick, so you can concentrate on the shot or tracking a predetermined path? Cruise control is very useful with the CGOET, I find.

The Typhoon h has abilities that are very useful if you understand the internal functions and interactions. It is not cheating the system or being hazardous, rather using your purchase to it's full ability. These are very functional machines. I respect my Typhoon h Pro and wouldn't intentionally put it in danger.

Last edited:
What a timely reference to the use of cruise control. I spent a good portion of today doing exactly as you described in order to repeat a flight path over and over while working with camera settings and changing altitudes. For an added twist I found that cruise control can be used in conjunction with yaw and altitude variations without exiting cruise modes.

Moving the right stick takes the H out of cruise control but the left stick controls remain active. With practice you can fly some very smooth arcs transitioning to any direction while altering altitude and working the camera angles. CCC can do essentially the same thing but the route has to be flown to establish points first, which consumes battery time. POI can also be used but that uses a circle when such may not be suitable for the shot.

The H is an extremely functional machine but it takes time and practice to discover all it can do. It's a serious tool for those willing to explore all it can do.

I agree, flying carries risk, always has, always will. How each manages that risk will establish the longevity of their systems.

Last edited:
Reactions: htperry
And so he did...just now. I can now say that the RealSense TH, controlled by the Wizard, with OA OFF, will not land with the legs up.
Just as with the ST16, it stops about 4 to 6 feet above ground and refuses to go lower. (IPS in action).

This is a vertical descent, not applicable while moving laterally.
Thanks for the post, Skeets.

You are exactly right. I tried it again with OA on (whether or not that makes a difference) and landing gear up and it would not go below approx 4 feet. Perhaps when I was testing it yesterday, I was farther away and it only looked like it was lower than it actually was.

Accident looking for a place to happen...

How so? Flying anything RC is a possible accident waiting to happen as there is always a risk of a motor, ESC, FC, GPS, etc. to fail. I was purposely trying to hover low to the ground and was very cognizant and prepared to climb out if something went awry, but why would it? Failure of a component is certainly not going to be contingent on the altitude of the craft.

I've always found that crashes occur most frequently when the aircraft is being operated close to the ground. Since I used to fly fixed wing 3D RC a fair number of my models have had an intimate relationship with the ground. I used to teach my RC students to keep their planes a "couple mistakes" high until they were extremely proficient with control inputs and staying ahead of the aircraft.

I've always found that crashes occur most frequently when the aircraft is being operated close to the ground. Since I used to fly fixed wing 3D RC a fair number of my models have had an intimate relationship with the ground. I used to teach my RC students to keep their planes a "couple mistakes" high until they were extremely proficient with control inputs and staying ahead of the aircraft.

You said it yourself, a couple mistakes high until they were "extremely proficient". Deliberately hovering low to the ground is quite different than flying 3D especially since the H is not capable of flying 3D. I fly RC Helis (and planes) too and I consider myself extremely proficient and my rule of thumb is to fly (not just hover) a couple mistakes high. Hovering a drone low to the ground while having full concentration on it is no less safe than hovering it 20 feet up.

My first multirotor was a DraganFlyer Pro (vintage 2005ish). I sold it in 2012, but not before becoming an expert at crashing. I'm a crash pro and scoff at crashes. ;) Fly like you own it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daps20