Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Interdrone 2017--Douglas Spotted Eagle Introduces the H520

Now that integration of PX4 has been confirmed, Yuneec should consider reaching out to Insitu/Boeing's Commercial sUAS Division to add the 520 to their sUAS development programs. There are areas it would be an instant fit. I'm confidant they will purchase several on their own having employees make the purchases. It would also be a great addition to their robotics and STEM programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Haydn
Another interview with a Yuneec employee at Interdrone. He tells interesting things about Geofence, failsafes, aircraft characteristics and more but above all, new images of DataPilot.

I'm afraid Douglas Spotted Eagle is misinformed when he states that 520 is only platform which shoots both H264 and H265. There is already another one which does that according to their specs. Glad to see they don't waste time with "follow me" and those other selfie type modes which I pointed out when they put them on the H480 are worthless to a professional unless you're Alfred Hitchcock.

I agree regarding Inspection work but I thought professional use was more broad than that. Point of Interest would still be nice for Cinematography.

Apparently a huge update to the firmware coming at the end of the month that adds POI and lots of other stuff. Yuneec had a change of mind!

video recording is not part of the professional sector? :eek:

I don't think it's a change of mind. I believe that they have so many things to do that they will gradually take them out. It's a new aircraft with the whole new system. Of course, we would have liked everyone to have all the functionalities but I believe that because of the promise to launch it at this time some thing remains to be done. The same thing happened with the H480. Successive upgrades greatly improved the set, with the H520 sure to be the same. Otherwise it is not understood......

video recording is not part of the professional sector? :eek:

I don't think it's a change of mind. I believe that they have so many things to do that they will gradually take them out. It's a new aircraft with the whole new system. Of course, we would have liked everyone to have all the functionalities but I believe that because of the promise to launch it at this time some thing remains to be done. The same thing happened with the H480. Successive upgrades greatly improved the set, with the H520 sure to be the same. Otherwise it is not understood......

I was told that they were going to make 2 versions of the H520. One for commercial use and one later for the consumer, with all the comsumer features, POI etc, they have now changed their minds and there will now only be one version.

I was told that they were going to make 2 versions of the H520. One for commercial use and one later for the consumer, with all the comsumer features, POI etc, they have now changed their minds and there will now only be one version.

Wow, scary. I hadn't read anything about that. Was it official information? I don't think I'm the only one who's going to use it for different things. I hope it's a hoax because if it wasn't, it would be a big mistake.

I hadn't even thought about not having the same functions as the H480. Is this one professional? has more but we don't limit some functions that are fundamental to video recording. What was the point of putting in a camera of such quality if not?

Wow, scary. I hadn't read anything about that. Was it official information? I don't think I'm the only one who's going to use it for different things. I hope it's a hoax because if it wasn't, it would be a big mistake.

I hadn't even thought about not having the same functions as the H480. Is this one professional? has more but we don't limit some functions that are fundamental to video recording. What was the point of putting in a camera of such quality if not?

I can't say who the information came from, but it is a reliable source. I was shocked after I learnt that the H520 would not have a lot of the filming features that the H480 has, POI is the main one that I find useful at times. This is after I placed my order based on I was told it would have way more features than my existing H480. My main interest for commercial use is video and photos, all the other mapping stuff, waypoints etc is a bonus that I may use in the future and will add more strings to my bow! I was getting more concerned that I had not made the right choice, given the above video. After a phone call I was assured that the info in the video was not true anymore and there would be an update to add lots more Photographic/Video features.

Another interview with a Yuneec employee at Interdrone. He tells interesting things about Geofence, failsafes, aircraft characteristics and more but above all, new images of DataPilot.

I'm afraid Douglas Spotted Eagle is misinformed when he states that 520 is only platform which shoots both H264 and H265. There is already another one which does that according to their specs. Glad to see they don't waste time with "follow me" and those other selfie type modes which I pointed out when they put them on the H480 are worthless to a professional unless you're Alfred Hitchcock.
I agree regarding Inspection work but I thought professional use was more broad than that. Point of Interest would still be nice for Cinematography.

I completely agree and POI was something I often used but did you ever put yourself in the POI? I didn't consider that a selfie type flight mode and I'm glad to hear that if they did take it out they will soon be putting it back in.

I can't say who the information came from, but it is a reliable source. I was shocked after I learnt that the H520 would not have a lot of the filming features that the H480 has, POI is the main one that I find useful at times. This is after I placed my order based on I was told it would have way more features than my existing H480. My main interest for commercial use is video and photos, all the other mapping stuff, waypoints etc is a bonus that I may use in the future and will add more strings to my bow! I was getting more concerned that I had not made the right choice, given the above video. After a phone call I was assured that the info in the video was not true anymore and there would be an update to add lots more Photographic/Video features.

Precisely the POI is the easiest function to replicate when we are going to have a route planning software such as DataPilot. It's a circular mission where the camera points to the center. All routing programs allow you to do this.

In photogrammetry when you make a 3D survey of a mediaval defense tower, a communications tower of something where the vertical proportions are much larger than the horizontal is used that kind of mission. Instead of making several laps around the target at different heights you only have to do 1 laps at the same height and you have the POI function.

Watch Me or Follow Me functions or a hypothetical "Follow Wizard" or something like that would be much more useful. I refuse to think of functions like the POI as amateur functions.

Let's hope you're right and just release a full-featured version. Buying more than one model according to what you want to do would take away all the versatility of the system....... :confused::confused:

Watch and Follow Me modes are purely "selfie drone" features and not something used even on true cinema rigs, and also missing from pro level inspection rigs. You don't waste and clutter FC memory with features you'll never use. One of the best inspection rigs available is the AscTec Falcon 8. I'm sure Yuneec is very aware of this one since it's an Intel supported unit and Yuneec did accept a considerable number of Intel dollars, perhaps to secure them as a manufacturing facility for Intel. The Falcon 8 also uses a very sophisticated FC and is equipped as standard load out with a Sony A7rII, which is a seriously capable camera for making video. However, the Falcon 8 is not considered to be the greatest for making entertainment type videos. It wasn't designed for that purpose.

If anyone wants to talk to me about what is needed in a drone used for entertainment type videos, I'd be very interested. The H520 software is front and center about inspection/SAR tasks, and things like omitting POI are all about removing clutter from the UI - you don't want screen space taken up with menus packed with features you don't use. However, the drone itself is more than capable, so what would the 'dream feature set' be? What would the UI have? Please drop me a message if you have an opinion :D

The various functions that the aircraft performs are stored in the station and not in the flight controller that it does is to carry out the orders that arrive. On the H480 I think I remember that it was 8GB of storage, does anyone know how much will be available on the ST16S? I don't think it's a space problem when an SDK has been developed so that third parties can develop their applications. You can develop applications but be careful, you won't have space to store them! It doesn't make sense.

We've seen a little bit of the DataPilot interface and it has a menu on the left that can perfectly have another icon or menu that serves for those "non-professional" functions and nothing happens, it doesn't dirty the interface. In the forum we have people working on the GUI development and can comment on how easy it is to put the functions you want in the menus. It's just getting a little organized.

I was thinking something else about a "professional" or "hobby"platform. Normally the division is usually made by price, an amateur can't afford to pay much more for a product when it's not going to get an economic return. But .....How many videos have we seen of people who haven't flown a drone in their lives and bought the Inspire for example and crashed it at 15 seconds? They can afford it and get much more out of Follow Me than a photogrametic mission. People like these mean a lot more sales and encourage the company to have more money to move forward in developing the product, which benefits us all. The balance of sales for a company is something very delicate and I think that Yuneec, even if it brings out a product intended for professionals, can't lose practically the whole market.

We have so close all the answers and yet so far away........

Space is not an issue on the ST16 or ST16S - UAV Toolbox is a reasonably complex app and it's about 4MB - megabytes, not gigabytes.

Don't underestimate how much user interfaces confuse people. No-one reads manuals these days, they just peck around on the screen hoping to find something that looks a bit like the thing they want to do. From what I've heard, DataPilot is a very technical tool (there are lots of parameters you can adjust and play with). It would not be a good idea to sell that to people who buy their drones from a high street shop, you can be sure many more of them would break them.

Personally, I think it's a good thing that Yuneec have chosen to focus on a specific market, and produce a tool designed to help. It means they can really have a good conversation with their users and help them get the results they want. I'm sure if the H520 does well, we'll see more machines like that - rather than buying a generic toy drone and trying to use it for 'professional' work.

Reactions: PatR
Tuna, you have a lot of patience. The voice of logic and wisdom. I admire that. :)

No matter what info becomes available, I see certain naysayers remain fixated in their attitudes and beliefs. This thread is crowded with irrelevant comments and hypothetical nonsense. Thank goodness most will be forgotten in a few weeks or months.;)

And Tuna will still be patient. :D
Fly high, fly happy...:cool:

Reactions: Tuna

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval