Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Interesting discussion with Yuneec President

I’m anxious to see this new optical zoom camera. To me the H3 looks like a move in the right direction, hopefully we will see an array of payloads available. I think they could really do good things with an interchange lens camera system with a 1” sensor on this bird! I know I’m excited to see what’s coming.

Don’t tell anyone, but they had a 1” sensor, interchangeable lens camera, with optical zoom in 2014, and still do, on the 920.

Don’t tell anyone, but they had a 1” sensor, interchangeable lens camera, with optical zoom in 2014, and still do, on the 920.
You don't talk about the past. It's a new idea, they don't have to be reminded they are going around in a circle.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Well I hope you are not holding your breath for the Optical Zoom camera, the data sheet says the ION L1 has Digital Zoom, not Optical Zoom.

I get that and no I’m not holding my breath. However I’m the interview she does speak of an optical zoom camera in development.
I’m thinking it could be for the upcoming “mid line” drone between the Mantis G and the H3.
Of course all of this remains to be seen, who knows...
At this point I’m considering building my own AP platform as I’ve just recently learned (thanks to this forum) about the available Air Commander system. I’d be interested in building one for my Sony A77ii, it’s an awesome camera but it is a bit heavy. I’ve also considered purchasing a Sony A6500 due to its size and it’s much lighter than my A77ii.
I’m going to do a bit more research on cost analysis vs. buying something turn key. The “new” H920 will likely be my determining factor, if it can be had for $6000 or less with a MFT camera with lens options I’m more likely to go that route.
Still, it would be nice to have a small drone with those capabilities such as the H3...

Your cost analysis will put the custom rig well above the cost of a consumer drone and the finished appearance won’t be as clean and appealing.

To build something capable of effectively carry the “good stuff” will have you spending >$2,500.00 just for the basic platform. Cameras, lenses, gimbals, payload controls, and video transmission equipment add considerably more. If you elect to build one don’t do your shopping at Hobbyking, Banggood, or other suppliers of cut rate hobby equipment. You can’t afford that level of unreliability.

The cost is what inhibits most people. Size is also a limiting factor as they have to be larger to carry a heavier payload. Size reduction was one of the reasons X-8’s and Y-6’s were created.

Your cost analysis will put the custom rig well above the cost of a consumer drone and the finished appearance won’t be as clean and appealing.

To build something capable of effectively carry the “good stuff” will have you spending >$2,500.00 just for the basic platform. Cameras, lenses, gimbals, payload controls, and video transmission equipment add considerably more. If you elect to build one don’t do your shopping at Hobbyking, Banggood, or other suppliers of cut rate hobby equipment. You can’t afford that level of unreliability.

The cost is what inhibits most people. Size is also a limiting factor as they have to be larger to carry a heavier payload. Size reduction was one of the reasons X-8’s and Y-6’s were created.

That makes sense, as I am only a hobby flyer / drone enthusiast. I do not aspire to be a "professional" drone photographer. However I do enjoy photography, both aerial and ground based and do like to have clean high quality images, we shall see the real world results of the H3 Leica ION. I also do believe that if you enjoy something and it brings you some sort of feeling of accomplishment and pride that you should be willing to spend some money on it, after all hobbies are not cheap.

I agree, even as a hobby there comes a desire to do as well as we can and that usually ends up costing a bunch of money to accomplish.

Remembering back to when I was first tasked with obtaining a professional level multirotor for a Part 333 start up all the new products suitable for carrying a 35mm full frame digital camera were running upwards of $20k, without camera and gimbal. After a serious search I found a used Cinestar 8 with a servo driven, 3 axis Radian gimbal in Vancouver B.C. For “only” $11k. It was such a bargain we we all over it.

Next task was to build a hybrid gas/electric heavy lift (50lbs) platform for long duration, over water oil platform inspections. This was years before Foxtech made one pretty much just like it. What a revelation. By the time all the frame and motor parts were selected, tested, assembled, and test flown I had $7k in just the airframe before adding for the gas engine and payloads.

This stuff ain’t cheap...

Last edited:
Reactions: Adamg1180

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariarussii11