Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

It's about July and I haven't got the H up at all this year! :-(

Reaction score
It's been HOT and windy lately! I really don't like to fly when winds are over 12mph and the temp is over 85. Am I being too restrictive on myself? If I remember right I think the manual recommends not flying with winds over 17 mph?

85 isn't hot, I flew last week, temp in the shade was 92°.
I will fly in 15mph winds, just watch you battery voltage.

Reactions: Sully53
I got tired of waiting and after driving over 1 1/2 hours to reach my site, I launched in 18 Mph winds. The winds at 320 ft were 30 mph gusting to 53 mph. Now, I am not suggesting this is for everyone, but, darn it, after 2 months of waiting, I ran out of patience and flew. Now, heavy sigh, for the new Canadian paperwork. The H handled it beautifully. Note, I did avoid closing on the trees. In my experience, they are carnivorous, and drones are a favourite snack for them.

I got tired of waiting and after driving over 1 1/2 hours to reach my site, I launched in 18 Mph winds. The winds at 320 ft were 30 mph gusting to 53 mph. Now, I am not suggesting this is for everyone, but, darn it, after 2 months of waiting, I ran out of patience and flew. Now, heavy sigh, for the new Canadian paperwork. The H handled it beautifully. Note, I did avoid closing on the trees. In my experience, they are carnivorous, and drones are a favourite snack for them.

You are braver than I am! lol

Brave, desperate, it's all the same when you have to drive almost 2 hours just to reach an area where you can fly. Most of the time I am a full time babysitter for my Granddaughter, but they are in BC on holidays this week So, while the cat is away, the mice will play.

Am I being too restrictive on myself?

Wind-wise, yes - the H can admirably handle much more than that. I am regularly out in 25 mph+ winds and generally speaking, it just deals with it, although power goes down quite a bit faster. Temp-wise you might be on firmer ground, so to speak. The venting in the H isn't great, and stuff can get pretty hot inside it after a few consecutive flights. The temps in the UK rarely get that high, so it's not so much of an occupational hazard for us, but even with our 'lesser' heatwaves I do tend to wait til evening til the sun has chilled out a bit, and winds have usually calmed a down a bit with it...

Today's temperature was 24C, so I felt comfortable flying it. I do check the H with my IR thermometer to ensure it isn't too hot between flights. I am probably over-thinking this, but, it never hurts to be cautious, especially with an investment of $1400 Can for the H plus the cost of the extra batteries, aftermarket charger, ...

Wind-wise, yes - the H can admirably handle much more than that. I am regularly out in 25 mph+ winds and generally speaking, it just deals with it, although power goes down quite a bit faster. Temp-wise you might be on firmer ground, so to speak. The venting in the H isn't great, and stuff can get pretty hot inside it after a few consecutive flights. The temps in the UK rarely get that high, so it's not so much of an occupational hazard for us, but even with our 'lesser' heatwaves I do tend to wait til evening til the sun has chilled out a bit, and winds have usually calmed a down a bit with it...
Yes i will fly in 30mph gusts too, in UK it's a case of wait for deal conditions that will never come, the wind is gusting more up there too, I take it your an insomniac posting at 4.30am?

I'm a little more cautious than you regarding wind...maybe. The strongest wind I've launched in as measured by an anemometer held at arms length was 18MPH, but the wind felt stronger than that, and I was launching to the lee of a small hillock so in reality, once the aircraft was 10 or 15mtrs up, it could well have been in winds of 25+ MPH...maybe even 30+MPH. The things I noticed most was how far the aircraft was tilting into the wind and how well the aircraft held it's position despite the wind...and rock steady video! Batteries didn't last long, though (you gotta watch batteries in strong wind).

I don't do well in warm weather: Anything above the mid 20s C is too much for me, but I'm sure the TH can handle it being warmer. Fortunately for me, and as you point out, it isn't that often the temperatures in the U.K., particularly the North of England where I am, go much above that. That said, though, yesterday it reached over 30C here in the North West.

I was up in the high desert earlier in the week where I found a perfect location to do a high wind test flight. Meaning no trees for miles, flat unobstructed view for miles, Sandy ground softness in case of LOC & a wind speed between 30 - 45 mpg.

All's I can say is that "I'm truly impressed by my Typhoon H".

She took it like a champ with nothing more than a slight drift that corrected itself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taxinnovex