Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Just brought the Typhoon H!

Reaction score
Hello all,

First post on here, I have just splashed out on a Typhoon H, having been in the market for about 6 months and had to choose from a range of drones. It came down to the P4 or TH.

I picked the Typhoon H for it's price, 360 camera spin, folding legs, 6 blades and coolness! (It just looks more slick than the P4!). Speed/Range wasn't a major issue for me but how does it compare?

I have seen so many bad youtube videos comparing the camera, what's it honestly like? I have the adobe suite with premiere pro ect... so post edit will be where the magic happens for me.

What can I expect when the box arrives tomorrow?

Thanks, I just want today to be over now! One excited guy! :)

Welcome to the post.
Ahhh, great choice. Yes P4 has the better camera but with your expertise with adobe suite you'll be ok. I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 and am very please with my pics.
What can you expect? Joy, thrill, excitement, can't wait to get out and fly.
Read the manual take your time, you may or may not want to fly with out camera for several flights until you are comfortable. Some folks do.
I believe you will have to do an update, this forum has the video updates and any issues that come about.
Most of all DO NOT FLY IN SMART MODE!!!!!

Thank you!

I thought by adding some coloring and filters it'll look fine, It arrives in the morning so I will have to put it straight on charge, I'll make sure not to use smart mode!

I guess the update is done by wifi?

Cheers :)

When you use filters it's best to use the camera in manual mode rather than auto. I have filters but they don't work well in auto mode.

Just ordered 2 extra Powerextra batteries and a Neewer Neutral Density Filter Set (Only for the time being, I'll get some Polar Pro's once I have had a play!)

The CGO3+ camera isn't as good as the P4. That is a given. But I think it's still good enough and can still give some awesome results after a bit of post production tinkering with half decent software (I use Filmora). I also have a Phantom but my H480 is still my 'go to' aircraft.

Some things never change, the knowledge and ability of the photographer has always been what established the quality of the end product. The equipment plays large but the skill of the photographer, in both composition and post processing, is what wins the day.

Some things never change, the knowledge and ability of the photographer has always been what established the quality of the end product. The equipment plays large but the skill of the photographer, in both composition and post processing, is what wins the day.

Yes! It's good to talk about drone hardware and firmware and how to fly but forums like this rarely touch on the topics that encompass how to take good photos or video and process them. I don't expect anything here in detail about that but perhaps some pointers to resources that do would be a great help to some followers of this forum.

FWIW I use Apple Final Cut Pro X and a number of plugins and LUTs from various vendors. I'm just beginning in this journey though and while my decades of photography provide a useful background video is a whole new area of learning.

As there are many post processing programs in use it’s quite difficult to get into specifics with all of them. Perhaps a good starting point, and basis for it’s own forum, would be discussions focused on understanding our cameras, lenses, utilization of light, exposure, and scene framing. Utilization of light and exposure provide the foundation of the imagery for post processing. Too much or too little, and the format in which they were captured, bears heavily on the end result.

Captain Drone constructed some very good You Tube videos to help people develop a general understanding of the CGO-3+ camera, which also extend to the Chroma 4K and Typhoon 4K cameras. Those would be very good starting points.

Reactions: Rubik
Jeff Sebelius did a fine job as well on YouTube on the topic of settings and how to optimize photo and video capture.

Do you mean a forum here on "Drone Pilots"? That would be great. It will probably contain a lot of links to various video processing products and YouTube videos but help introduce some pilots to what exists beyond photo and video capture.

There’s a reason why some photographers still use outdated cameras. There pics look amazing. The camera helps but in the end it’s the person shooting the pics that makes a difference. Post production does wonders.

Hello all,

First post on here, I have just splashed out on a Typhoon H, having been in the market for about 6 months and had to choose from a range of drones. It came down to the P4 or TH.

I picked the Typhoon H for it's price, 360 camera spin, folding legs, 6 blades and coolness! (It just looks more slick than the P4!). Speed/Range wasn't a major issue for me but how does it compare?
The range of the H is not as far as the P4 but it is as far as the legal operating range of drones.

I have seen so many bad youtube videos comparing the camera, what's it honestly like? I have the adobe suite with premiere pro ect... so post edit will be where the magic happens for me.

What can I expect when the box arrives tomorrow?
It will come with the backpack, Typhoon H, St-16 controller, St-16 sun shield, two batteries, wand, AC charger and cables for batteries and ST-16, ten props, and some basic manuals. Extensive manuals are available for download on the Yuneec website:
Shopping

Thanks, I just want today to be over now! One excited guy! :)

Thank you!

I thought by adding some coloring and filters it'll look fine, It arrives in the morning so I will have to put it straight on charge, I'll make sure not to use smart mode!

I guess the update is done by wifi?
No, you download the updates from the Yuneec website via your computer, transfer them to your included Micro SD card, then put the card in the ST-16 slot for it's update, and finally put the card in the H camera slot for the H and camera updates. Again, the YouTube videos are a great help.

Cheers :)

I have my H since february. I have been fiddling around with the camera settings a lot but I was never fully satisfied.

Since a few weeks I have my Polar Pro ND-filters and I am very happy with the purchase.
Mt experiences with me fiddling and what I have seen ande read about these filters upgraded the footage in not-so-easy light-conditions a lot. As a matter of fact I experienced a lot of reflections in the CGO lens when shooting at low sunlight over water and wide green pasture, the PP filters are a bit wider and form a sort of sunshade that greatly diminishes this unwanted effect.

The video's of Sibelius (and the one of Capt Drone) on the subject of camera settings are very helpful if you do not want to go my extended way of trial and error. After I ordered the filters I found a few of those vids and that was very conforting.
Still consider buying a PixAero lense, but do not like the idea of having to mount it myself (being in Europe Carolina Drones is far away).

:)

There’s a reason why some photographers still use outdated cameras. There pics look amazing. The camera helps but in the end it’s the person shooting the pics that makes a difference. Post production does wonders.

Spot on with your comment. Technology is advancing so quickly and our society is primed to always get the 'latest and greatest', however I doubt many people ever get to fully understand or use their gear to its full potential. This is regardless of whether it is a Typhoon, TV, car, computer, etc.
Get to know and understand what you currently have and don't get so caught up in all the tech spec hype.
I think the camera on the H480 is fine for the price and can produce some great results with a little bit of time studying the settings to get the most out of it. And, yes, post production can work some wonders.

So here's a update!

I have taken the Typhoon H out twice now! but sadly on the second day while landing the drone it decided to flip over and roll down a small hill until I could catch it! It broke a clip on one of the arms and I lost a connection on the camera gimbal but replacement parts coming tomorrow, after reading on the forums here I think I might have left obstacle avoidance on! It was also rather windy and the cross winds picked it up slightly when it landed! I didn't cry... but I had already had so much fun and after reviewing the footage I'm amazed at the quality so don't mind getting it fixed and running again.

So far one happy customer! I just need to look into the color settings, but post production fixed the footage I took even when the original footage was really blue! :D

typhoonguy, it is worthwhile to a get a set of spare parts to have available... they are all inexpensive enough to keep on hand and they will be the most likely parts needing replacement in a minor crash/tipover... A spare set of both A & B props, 2 landing struts, and a gimbal mount for the camera... altogether, under $75.00. Added benefit when this occasionally occurs... you do not have to wait on shipping to get back in the air.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
costimarcos