Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

LAANC with the Airmap App.

RPR

Reaction score
It has been a while since, I've openned Airmap, and request flight approval via using an app. So, where are my thoughts of Airmap.

Last night, I submit a three request through the Airmap App to fly in San Francisco. A mile from the AT&T park, there is known stumping ground for recreational drone pilots in the city, I want to play it safe, so I choose this spot to test out Airmap. The first flight request, I set the height to 400ft, and instantly I got denied. 20mins after submitting my request, I resubmitted the same request format, but lowered the height to 150ft, and 15mins later my request was accepted along with a confirmation number. Something in me clicked, and began to question its algorithm. I ended the session, and again for the third time, re-submitted another request on the same spot, and raised the ceiling back to 400ft, and Viola! 30mins later, I received a new approval text, with a new confirmation number that my airspace authorization was accepted.

This made me curious, so I made other requests in other locations in the city that falls inside the red (NFZ) circle, and some request are close to a hospital. First, I submitted, a high flight ceiling, I got denied, and then lowered the ceiling, and I got approved. I know Airmap is being revamped, but what if someone, who doesn't know and rely on this app and crash or spotted for flying in an NFZ would be in a heap of trouble. Presently, there is a glitch in the system, and the Airmap's algorithm can be tricked.. Or could it be that I just got lucky, and maybe, when I was trying to do all of this, the developers was in the middle of working on the App? Who knows, but right now, I would say that Airmap is unreliable, and would wait until the official announcement by KittyHawk of its final completion.

Just use Kittyhawk. Friends don't let friends use Airmap.

Used KittyHawk this morning to get a flight this afternoon.....approved in seconds. Quick, easy.

It will take a little work and time before people will start to have any confidence in AirMap. Their deplorable previous level of accuracy and performance will require absolutely stellar user reviews to make it happen.

DJI dropping them isn’t helping either. I see AirMap fading away........

Airmap supports recreational flyers, where as KittyHawk defaults to Part 107, and yes Kittyhawk is fast, but haven’t requested a LAANC for a while, but I do keep my documentations on file, just in case. Hopefully they will add more vehicles as an option.

Frankly, I haven’t opened KittyHawk in a while.

You were requesting LAANC, which is not recreational. Plus the FAA has abandoned Airmap in favor of Kittyhawk for their B4UFly app. Kittyhawk is also owned by a long time RC guy, so there's that too. Plus Airmap has had some shady ideas about airspace and making people pay to play.

I don’t think it states that LAANC is LAANC is for all. In the past, under section 336, diligent pilots would call tower. Now it’s not as easy, or I don’t know, I have not done. sec. 349 is throwing a curveball.

Some speculates that the new B4UFLY will allow LAANC recreational pilots?

Airmap, making people is shady.

Something like LAANC is absolutely coming for recreational pilots. The FAA has clearly staed that. I suspect that Kittyhawk will be building that into the B4UFly app. For now FAA has said to continue hobby flying as before. That means simple notification within 5 miles of an airport.

Reactions: RPR
I use skyward.io by Verizon. They don't currently have an app, but I have a shortcut on my phone's home screen to their mobile website. Very easy to use. You tap a spot on the map, and it gives you the max ceiling for that area. Attached a couple screenshots from my phone.

Screenshot_20190324-223045.jpegScreenshot_20190324-223129.jpegScreenshot_20190324-223432.jpegScreenshot_20190324-223417.jpeg

If it wasn’t for DJI they would have never survived. The only reason they existed was because DJI needed a cartographic foundation for their NFZ/GEO programs.

DJI shows undeniable dominance

I use skyward.io by Verizon. They don't currently have an app, but I have a shortcut on my phone's home screen to their mobile website. Very easy to use. You tap a spot on the map, and it gives you the max ceiling for that area. Attached a couple screenshots from my phone.

View attachment 15355View attachment 15356View attachment 15357View attachment 15358
I was just quoted over €2,800 ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinlevin