Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Landing gear problem

Reaction score
has anyone else had any issue with the LG barely moving?

i had to call tech support about an issue and they rebound the model. i don't know if it is related or not but now the LG right hand leg only moves about 3" up and stops, the left hand side one does nothing.

i have rebound the model and no difference, using latest firmware etc.

little video- can just barely see the right hand leg move when i flick the switch on vid.

p.s turning it upside down to test LG does same too.

Last edited:
The landing gear have two hex screws on each side. They just slip out. Maybe they will ship two to you. Sorry you are having issues. I am presently on the phone with them. My button worked one time on video and not on camera.

I have this same problem! Did you find a resolution? One goes up about an inch or 2 and the other doesn't move at all.

The gear inside each motor for each leg is most likely out of alignment. I believe (not 100% certain) you can fix it by turning the Typhoon upside down, power it on, then after it starts up, cycle the landing gear up and down.

The other option is to take the motor apart and manually correct the problem.

Good luck!

I had the same problem. Yuneec UK suggested to unscrew the two screws on each leg and take the leg out carefully one at a time. I did this and although it did not need it cleaned the contacts (Note only one leg has contacts on) up and replaced them. Dusted each leg and gently checked each one was sound and put them back. The gear has worked fine since then. I am puzzled as to what I really did but everything is now fine. Obviously check in the setting taht the switch is making contact.

i thought i updated this thread. all i done was take the battery out, hold down power button to drain residual power, put battery back in and been fine since.

Reactions: yuneec53
I came home tonight. Turned it on and flipped it over and nothing. Not even one of them moving a little. For grins I went in to the Hardware Monitor on the ST16 and checked the switch. None of the switches on the top right we're working. WTF? I messed around with all of them for a couple of minutes and while flipping the OA switch it suddenly started working on the monitor. After that all of them worked. Weird. Back to work on the landing gear.

First test, same thing. One moved a little, the other none. I took both of and "cleaned" the contacts, reinstalled and same thing. I took the one out that didn't move at all and tried again. The one that worked partially worked all the way now. I took that one out and put the stiff one in. I could hear it try to turn but no go. I took the retract apart. Be careful. It all fell apart! Inside is a little motor with a gear box. This turns a screw that has a bar that runs up and down the threads operating the landing gear. My guess is after a couple of hard landings this got cockeyed and bound up. With much effort I put the retract back together (it has a number of small thrust bearings and washers) without the gear arm in the retract. Tried it and it worked. Opened it back up and inserted the arm again. Reinstalled and YAY both worked.

Anyway, apparently a current limiter shuts them off at the end points. With one bound up the other one only ran a short time before stopping. That's my guess anyway.

image.jpeg This is your problem.
They are weak and break fairly easily.
The tip is ment to be a "U" shape but they end up a "J" shape when you land hard.
They don't sell just the knuckle piece so you have to purchase the full $22 motor/knuckle assembly.
Depending on how much of the tip is broken off will determin how much your leg plays up.
If you invert the drone it will sometimes retract and extend because one side of the tip is connecting with the screw driver motor gear. But as soon as you put it back the correct way, it will fail again soon.
Hand catching seems to stop this from happening.
(Do so at your own risk) ;)
Hope this helps you under stand what is happening with your H.

View attachment 2337 This is your problem.
They are weak and break fairly easily.
The tip is ment to be a "U" shape but they end up a "J" shape when you land hard.
They don't sell just the knuckle piece so you have to purchase the full $22 motor/knuckle assembly.
Depending on how much of the tip is broken off will determin how much your leg plays up.
If you invert the drone it will sometimes retract and extend because one side of the tip is connecting with the screw driver motor gear. But as soon as you put it back the correct way, it will fail again soon.
Hand catching seems to stop this from happening.
(Do so at your own risk) ;)
Hope this helps you under stand what is happening with your H.

Very cool. I'm going to take it back apart and inspect. Thank you!

Reactions: Haydn
Yes they are a cast piece of metal.
And seem to break fairly easily unfortunately.
I've had one that broke half way down on the side and fit the must part still worked, but if the piece that broke off wiggled into the wrong spot they would fail.
I now keep two as spares, but would prefer to buy just the knuckle. It would be good if someone could could 3D print some.

Hey everyone, I saw this video today and was thinking to myself that sucks! Later I went out for a short flight and after takeoff I was about 6' off the ground and my gear did the exact same thing. I thought what are the chances of this? I tried several times and nothing. Then I ascended to about 15' and the gear went up like normal. Now I updated the firmware this morning and this happened, I'm wondering if this has something to do with the firmware update. I can say I noticed the H seemed less stable at hover and I definitely lost range, video getting choppy at around 900'. I re-calibrated everything just as i did before the first flight. Now I'm asking myself, why did i do this firmware update? I'm gonna take it back up in a little and retest the landing gear situation to see if it's repeatable, I'll report back shortly.

It is not firmware. It is a mechanical issue.

Did a really stupid thing yesterday...got distracted by a dog that wanted to say hello while doing a precision maneuver and clipped a tree and down it went right on the camera (new one arrives in a few days) with gear up. With the exception of a bruised ego, broken props and a bent and broken camera no other damage BUT the gear would not lower. After a bit of effort (power off and on, removed battery, flip it upside down) the gear did drop but very slowly jerking down like they were being hand cranked. Once down they would not retract. Once I got it home I did a full inspection for any additional damage including removal of the landing gear motors. All checked out fine. After a rebind the gear operates normally. If you run into this problem, do a rebind first.

Did a really stupid thing yesterday...got distracted by a dog that wanted to say hello while doing a precision maneuver and clipped a tree and down it went right on the camera (new one arrives in a few days) with gear up. With the exception of a bruised ego, broken props and a bent and broken camera no other damage BUT the gear would not lower. After a bit of effort (power off and on, removed battery, flip it upside down) the gear did drop but very slowly jerking down like they were being hand cranked. Once down they would not retract. Once I got it home I did a full inspection for any additional damage including removal of the landing gear motors. All checked out fine. After a rebind the gear operates normally. If you run into this problem, do a rebind first.

Crashes send impact shocks into surface mounts components that do things like regulate power as micro capacitors and resistors can lose contact and you will never see it nor be able to replace yourself. Any hard landing or crash can cause improper behaviors that confuse operational parameters or physical damage to critical parts. Most mother boards don't survive hard crashes and any mounted daughter board often times can break away and snap off molex connectors. The CGO guts are quite full with a circular motherboard that has multiple edge mounted molex connectors that can separate from if the camera takes a hit. Gimbals can have motor shafts bend and never work right again. Any motor that stopped hard enough to break props most likely has a compromised coil and needs to be replaced even if you think it's ok. That's what crashing teaches you and the H is an expensive platform to learn these lessons. My Chroma used to "hard" land and it was bad batteries sagging under weight of my camera rig is what not actually capable of carrying despite all the pretty pictures and marketing. The H is one of the most gentle landing multi rotors I own and it's never had issues with controlled ascent using turtle mode which is what you should be using for landing. It is possible to go down faster then motors can spin up to. Ask any helicopter pilot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

..... It is possible to go down faster then motors can spin up to. Ask any helicopter pilot.

Well, that's know as "settling with power." And it doesn't take much to get into that situation but it happens only during straight, vertical descents. The rotor wash circles up around the tips of the rotor blades and essentially disrupts the lift. The harder you try to climb, the faster you descend. You are trapped in your own column of air. The only way out is to move in a horizontal direction. It only happened to me once when I was hovering a Bell Jet Long-Ranger over the ocean in Malibu, CA. I noticed fairly quickly and was able to recover without the passengers being any the wiser.

Settling with power was something the Chroma was quite prone to doing after descending fast, even with a factory camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Settling with power was something the Chroma was quite prone to doing after descending fast, even with a factory camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would do the "holy [emoji372]" bounce. That landing gear could take a hit though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval