Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Landing Pads

I think my project died but based on what I've seen in here there better not be anyone complaining about the H not fitting in the carry on baggage over head bins:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think my project died but based on what I've seen in here there better not be anyone complaining about the H not fitting in the carry on baggage over head bins:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What project?

Bill W.

After seeing a number of posts from people researching multirotor landing pads I became curious as to how many people might be interested in a pad that could be ordered in different sizes, be extremely rigid, and ultra light. The pad would help prevent debris fouling of motors and gimbals, keep camera lenses clean while keeping a camera and gimbal out of the grass and weeds during launches and landings, reducing maintenance issues. The prototype will be done in the next week or so with pictures posted when it’s proven. If you might be interested post a reply to provide a level of interest.

Thanks for the thought.
Pat
This is the project he was talking about

DO how is that project going to help with carry on luggage?

That was also the idea I had in the back of my mind when I started my Helipad project. Like I said I designed and built my Helipad because I couldn't find any viable options on the internet. So I built exactly what I wanted. While I knew it wasn't going to be cheap to build I didn't skimp on what I wanted. After It was all said and done I realized why there are none for sale. Like several people mentioned before, the cost. I didn't build mine for resale. All thought it was on my mind. Mine was built for personal satisfaction and use. There are a lot of people out there that would like to have and are looking for a top of the line helipad. There is no market for it. Nobody (except a crazy person like me) is willing to spend serval hundred dollars to own one. People who have tried before me told me that is the reason for the very limited selection.

I can believe that because I know that I'm cheap. I don't want to spend more than 20 bucks on something that's only used during take off and landing. I'll guess I'll go and get myself a piece of carpet remnant.

I can believe that because I know that I'm cheap. I don't want to spend more than 20 bucks on something that's only used during take off and landing. I'll guess I'll go and get myself a piece of carpet remnant.

Cheap ... your not even cheap ... I won't spend $20 ... I pulled out an old rubber mat from my garage to use ... won't take it with me on my travels but it works great around the house ... I sure do like Drone ON's pad though ... hey I got an old folding card table I can rig up and maybe even add some lights ... won't be travel friendly but hey .. better then gettin' crap all over my H's camera lens.

That is just too funny Don thank you.

Ya ... I figure a little bit of oil and grease from the mat would keep the landing gear lubed up ... not really ... I do plan on getting a decent mat though. Wind is blowing 20-30mph today and has been for the past several days ... typical fall weather here ... so no flying for me for a few days.

When I bought my Q500 a couple of years ago I wanted a really nice Lighted Helipad for it. After a lot of searching I was unable to find one that even came close to what I wanted. So I set out on a mission to build exactly what I wanted...Here it is :

Ya no problem it deserves the praise & yes it is portable I was just saying not portable in the sense of being able to pack it up to take with you on a plane. Which is still very possible unless you are me, where I already fill up a large suitcase with all my clothes and personal items (still have no idea how I pack to take up that much space because I've tried many times to pack lighter especially because the only place I'd ever be traveling with it is down to Arizona where we stay with my aunt so we easilly are able to launder our clothing which we do) but of course I'm kind of a Techy, Geek, Nerd Etc that loves nothing but the newest best most futuristic things available as soon as they are available & therefore also love to take many of my items with me. Anyway sorry about the off topic there.

Now back to why I'm posting this is to ask you some questions & I think because of the questions & info I'm wanting from you it may be better to PM you after this post to avoid filling up this thread with only our dialog! First up is because I love your Helipad I've now resolved my issue of searching out the 1 single perfect landing pad that meets all my wants/needs and rather I'm now going to make 2 different landing pads, 1 that has absolutely everything that will remain at home & just use locally and the other very lightweight & portable with less features unfortunately. First what is the table that you used for this & if I wanted to make a pad that is a bit bigger is there any that you may recommend over another? 2nd i Noticed that not only do you have LEDs but also that you have different ways to control them, So what do you use to control them & do you only use a single controller for all the LEDs or are their multiple controllers? Then the LEDs that you used are they all the same size ie Diameter and is there any certain place that you found to order them all from that may also sell the controller that's needed? Then just like you I'm wanting to make this pad as realistic as possible & if possible as automated as possible ( thinking maybe using bluetooth, beacon or NFC technology) to possibly make it so that when the H gets within certain proximity of the pad it reacts but not mandatory.

Any & all Info you'd be able to tell me the better & if possible any pictures of it during the time you were building it and putting it all together would help me immensely!! Believe me "Drone On" all the help you can possibly give me will be so so much appreciated. Thank You, Tom C.

P.S. Have you ever thought of putting holes into your pad to be able to land a bit easier or do you notice at all?

I do what BillyTexas does - I bought a cheap collapsible car windshield screen and cut a couple of clothes hangers to tack it down. Works like a charm and cost me less than $5. That leaves me more money for drone upgrades ;>)

P.S. Have you ever thought of putting holes into your pad to be able to land a bit easier or do you notice at all?

I didn't want holes in the pad because 1). I want a realistic look to the landing surface. It looks like asphalt. 2). All the wiring and solder connections (and there are a lot of them) for each individual the LED are right underneath the surface so you can't drill any holes thru it. I mean it can be done but it would be time consuming and tedious. First you would have to decide how many holes, how big and where you want them. Then you have layout all your wire runs and connections in a specific way as not to be seen or in the way.

Just a little background on the pad. The pad was made over 2 years ago. All though I knew exactly what I wanted and it was all my idea and design I didn't have the time, room or set up to actually build it. I had to use someone else who had the capabilities and experience in LEDs to actually build it the way I wanted. After it was all said and done I am very happy with it. I have used it many times with my Q500 and can't wait to use it for my H. There are always upgrade and improvements that can be done. My pad is a one of a kind prototype and because of that the first one of anything is always the most expensive to make. There are changes that you have make during the build because you run into problems. Like I said, after It was done the price point would be way too expensive to be worth selling. It was for personal satisfaction.

I don't regret for one second building it. It is not easy to land on. The fun I have practicing my precision landing skills every time I land on it with my Q500, and soon my H, and the reaction and compliments I get when people see it was well worth the time ,effort and money to build it.

I do what BillyTexas does - I bought a cheap collapsible car windshield screen and cut a couple of clothes hangers to tack it down. Works like a charm and cost me less than $5. That leaves me more money for drone upgrades ;>)

I still recommend that photo reflector I mentioned before over that. It is round, so looks much better, and the H fits in the middle perfectly. See my pictures in my other thread. Landing /Take off pad ideas?

It is also more portable, gives a larger surface area t(43") to takeoff/land on, is very light to carry to your flying area and is cheap at $20 US.! i:)i

I have very little problem with prop wash moving it. Only when it was on a flat surface and I flew very low and near the edge. Even then it only slides a bit. No issues with it ever lifting off the ground.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZIMEMW

Worse case is use some metal spikes on the edges like you mention but I never needed it.

I only mention it again as things tend to get lost in the noise in these threads. I am just trying to help. i:)i

Reactions: NismoNinja
Here is a vid of the product:

Seems to be a similar design as the photo reflector I use, only smaller. Unsure of the thickness and weight of it though of course, that may make a difference using it on concrete,

I use a 43" reflector and I think that makes a bit of a difference. The H has a wide profile when the arms and props are on it. Their largest one is 32", that is an 11 inch difference.

Love the design on that though. Looks very cool. If they ever make one larger and it is as heavy or heavier than the reflector that would be good.

The reflector is just white and kind of boring but I intend to paint it next season. At a minimum put a big red H on it. i:)i

It is double the price though for the basic one with no lighting. For some that makes a difference.

I love seeing all the new products that are coming out and having options is ALWAYS a good thing. i:)i

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace