Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Lipo Battery swelling during flight

Reaction score
I had problem trying to extract the battery from my Q500 4K drone after a flight session of about 20 minutes. I last recharged 2 batteries using the EV-PEAK balance charger.
While charging there is no swelling of the battery. What could be wrong?

What voltage did you run the battery down to ? Batteries can puff if they are over-discharged in flight...

The battery swells because the load is to high for an extended period of time causing the battery to overheat and swell.
Somewhat common with Q batteries.We all have them.
Try not to push the battery so hard for so long.
Upgrade to another maker and ampacity.
Gifi makes a decent battery for the Q.
Good luck and happy flying,
Jafo

The battery swells because the load is to high for an extended period of time causing the battery to overheat and swell.
Jafo
I have flown for the same duration earlier as well but did not have this issue. Since my drone is new and I have done around 10 flights, they batteries are allowing about 20 minutes flight time. I normally change one battery and continue flying with the second battery. I had been using the provided charger but since it was taking too long to charge the battery, I purchased the EV Peak charger.
I shall be going out tomorrow as well to fly the drone... I shall see if the same happens and will post about of the state of battery.

As the life of the battery gets used up, internal resistance in the battery also builds and that's in part what causes the over heating.
20 minutes on a stock battery is really good. Most of us are lucky to get about 16 minutes or so.
I suspect the batteries are being pushed pretty hard.
Unfortunately, there is no reversing of the swelling and I suspect new batteries will be in your future pretty soon.
Don't run the batteries to low and by no means count on the "Warning System" to save you.
Some have reported a couple of minutes of time left when the warnings go off.Others like myself got less than 30 seconds and watched our Q's fall from the sky.

Jafo
Hello. I seen you said Gifi makes a decent battery. I just bought a Typhoon H Plus and was going to order and extra battery from Yuneec for $180. Looked up the Gifi brand for my H Plus and it is $106 for the Model GF8050. I can about buy two for the price Yunneec wants for one. How well of a battery is that compared to Yuneecs batteries? And will I gain that much more flying time? I know from experience on other things that sometimes buying some off brand and trying to save money just ends up costing more anyway. Thanks.

Gifi is one of the "Go to" brands for aftermarket batteries.
Most of us have had great success with Gifi and I think you will too.
A higher MAH battery will give you slightly longer run times."Slightly" being a few extra minutes.
Yuneec drones are power hogs compared to other makers and that's one of their downfalls.
In the past, I try to locate a two pack of Gifi's and order that.
:)

I noticed that one battery has a call that takes unusually long to charge. Since I can see the status while charging on the EVPeak charger, the middle cell takes the longest to charge. The swelling of the battery is there.
Planning on taking back the drone to the supplier and see what they have to say.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33