Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

looks like august firmware may be the last

DJI products perform greatly until they don't. I've got a fleet of DJI products Phantoms, Mavics, Inspires etc) but we use our aircraft in Emergency Services and we just can't afford to wait on a DJI Restriction Removal to take place. Now if we know ahead of time (hurricane etc) we can get an unlock but for spontaneous emergencies (fires, care crashes etc) we waste valuable time waiting on DJI to approve the unlock in restricted areas.

I'm very much NOT anti-DJI but there is a lot to be said for a system that is OPEN to fly even in the toughest of flight zones.

Where do you fly? Your agency can apply for an airspace use, the waiver is good of a certain time frame. I have one and it’s good for 2 yrs. Give that to DJI.

Where do you fly? Your agency can apply for an airspace use, the waiver is good of a certain time frame. I have one and it’s good for 2 yrs. Give that to DJI.

I fly on the state level (North Carolina) for Emergency Services. I've got a multi-month month DJI unlock for any Red Zone (only valid in NC technically) when operating for Emergency Services. With that being said, we were recently delayed by 3 hours because our unlock would not "Authorize" in another portion of the state.

My home location is in Western NC (KAVL) and I have an Authorization to fly in Class C at KAVL but getting DJI to unlock in certain areas (before the multi-month unlock) can be a pain even with the proper paperwork/signatures from the FAA.

Reactions: 10-8
I fly on the state level (North Carolina) for Emergency Services. I've got a multi-month month DJI unlock for any Red Zone (only valid in NC technically) when operating for Emergency Services. With that being said, we were recently delayed by 3 hours because our unlock would not "Authorize" in another portion of the state.

My home location is in Western NC (KAVL) and I have an Authorization to fly in Class C at KAVL but getting DJI to unlock in certain areas (before the multi-month unlock) can be a pain even with the proper paperwork/signatures from the FAA.

Paper work is a pain, bro. But worth it. Also, DJI is pretty good in helping when it comes to emergency and first responders. How I did not mine was not an easy task, as you have probably experienced.

I applied months in advance for my waiver, with the help of one of the developer that I work for Lennar, it sped up the process, but it still took 2 mos to be approved by the FAA, then I had to fax the papers to DJI, and wait another month, because someone who I was dealing with did not know how to process my papers, but finally at the end, I was given an unlimited unlock that's good for 2 years.

My recent job was in Las Vegas, and DJI bricked my drones for 7 hrs, a grueling phone call back n' forth with DJI was frustrating, because I was flying 3 miles KLAS Class B Mc Carran International Airport, I has to get a written authorization from the airport, because of Nevada's NRS 493.109 DJI wanted me to show them more paper work.

Oh Ye of little faith.....
1) Already seen the 520 doing a beautiful circle in test.
2) + and 520 share the same controller (PX4).

POI would be a step towards surveys of vertical structures. May automated vertical surveys be expected at some point?

POI would be a step towards surveys of vertical structures. May automated vertical surveys be expected at some point?

Automated Nadir vertical climb is tricky specially if there are other structures in close proximity to the one that you are scaling. DJI GSP pro has this ability and it is tricky maneuver to accomplish. It is best to do a manual climb and stitch the materials together.

Paper work is a pain, bro. But worth it. Also, DJI is pretty good in helping when it comes to emergency and first responders. How I did not mine was not an easy task, as you have probably experienced.

I applied months in advance for my waiver, with the help of one of the developer that I work for Lennar, it sped up the process, but it still took 2 mos to be approved by the FAA, then I had to fax the papers to DJI, and wait another month, because someone who I was dealing with did not know how to process my papers, but finally at the end, I was given an unlimited unlock that's good for 2 years.

My recent job was in Las Vegas, and DJI bricked my drones for 7 hrs, a grueling phone call back n' forth with DJI was frustrating, because I was flying 3 miles KLAS Class B Mc Carran International Airport, I has to get a written authorization from the airport, because of Nevada's NRS 493.109 DJI wanted me to show them more paper work.

This situation you are explaining is not normal, how is it possible that a drone manufacturer is an impediment to develop professional activities for which you have permission from government agencies?

Regardless of the fact that I am totally opposed to this policy of airspace restrictions by any manufacturer, just by presenting, in your case, part 107, does not unblock any restriction? All manufacturers have their things, in this forum have been read many of the Yuneec, but what DJI does in this regard, sincerely only makes me think of a word, pathetic.....

Reactions: 10-8
Automated Nadir vertical climb is tricky specially if there are other structures in close proximity to the one that you are scaling. DJI GSP pro has this ability and it is tricky maneuver to accomplish. It is best to do a manual climb and stitch the materials together.

It refers to make a vertical survey, imagine for example that you want to make a 3D model of a telecommunications tower or a defensive tower of a castle. Establish the base height and make a circle taking the images, a ROI itself, then ascends 5 meters and repeat the operations, climb another 5 meters and repeat, as many times as necessary to reach the top.

It's not even complicated to program that kind of mission. You establish the base height, you indicate the number of repetitions or circles, every few meters, the radius of the circumference and automatically carries out the mission. There are systems that have implemented this function and works very well allowing you to save a lot of time and work. Time is money ;)

Maybe you're thinking of a spiral ascension? It would be more complicated to do the function but it would also be feasible.

Reactions: Graham
It refers to make a vertical survey, imagine for example that you want to make a 3D model of a telecommunications tower or a defensive tower of a castle. Establish the base height and make a circle taking the images, a ROI itself, then ascends 5 meters and repeat the operations, climb another 5 meters and repeat, as many times as necessary to reach the top.

It's not even complicated to program that kind of mission. You establish the base height, you indicate the number of repetitions or circles, every few meters, the radius of the circumference and automatically carries out the mission. There are systems that have implemented this function and works very well allowing you to save a lot of time and work. Time is money ;)

Maybe you're thinking of a spiral ascension? It would be more complicated to do the function but it would also be feasible.

Here's how, I would do it. And do, excuse me, I tend to think that everyone operates in a busy location, for the sake of this conversation, let us pretend that we are scaling the new Sale Force tower in San Francisco, California. 37°47'23.7"N 122°23'48.8"W (I was asked to map this area, but I declined. This location is very challenging) The only folks that has completed the task of mapping the newly erected Sales Force tower are the folks from Ryka UAS and Ryone Lane was hired to document the build)

There are many ways to skin a cat. Fly the ceiling autonomously based on the given GCPs is easy, the real work is collecting your textures in all lat and alt of the building and this has to be done manually if you are to achive a detailed representation, without any messing points that will leave mesh holes in your presentation. I have tried all possibilities and implemented given formulas from the operators before me, and I've only completed 4 and two of which did not look good. LOL.. Most structural surveyors will tell yo that is not a work in the park, but it can be done, and it is very lucrative if you specialize in structural mapping.

The comes the H540, I can really see how this drone can easily, without a doubt be the ULTIMATE drone for any worksite, doing this type of job, because it is a hex.

This situation you are explaining is not normal, how is it possible that a drone manufacturer is an impediment to develop professional activities for which you have permission from government agencies?

Regardless of the fact that I am totally opposed to this policy of airspace restrictions by any manufacturer, just by presenting, in your case, part 107, does not unblock any restriction? All manufacturers have their things, in this forum have been read many of the Yuneec, but what DJI does in this regard, sincerely only makes me think of a word, pathetic.....

Flying in the red zone or very close proximity to a class B airport, part 107 at times has not effect. Lennar is one of the first developer to be granted an FAA use of airspace and others adopted, because they have recently been using land and air drones to aid with the construction, and thank goodness, because this speed up the process to be granted a waiver, versus Part 107. But don't get me wrong it still takes months, but not how it was before that it could take 6mos to a year. Aerial drone activities in construction sites near a busy airport are now put in a Fly Day calendar, and can only operate in a certain window.

I presented all of my documents as well as all of my coordinates to Yuneec months prior to the release of the NFZ unlock for the H+ and once the unlock was release, they emailed me. Awesome service! However DJI is at times a headache!!!!!!!! If you change location, within a specified zone (in my case)

I like how Yuneec handles their NFZ policy, but one thing, Yuneec is that does not have an identifier, when, I did a job for Mortenson Development of the new LV Raiders Stadium, I had to get an FAA identifier sticker for my H+ and the airport provided me with a new set CT frequency as well as ground alpha radio frequencies, and I need constantly update tower, but the H+ only flew for a few mins, due to problems that it was having in the pits.

Good article, I would have liked to read it years ago because based on trial and error I have thrown hundreds of images. For me to make a model of a telecommunication tower has always been the most difficult and even so I still do not get the quality I would like. The last one, 2 months ago, was discarded because of the lack of quality. Luckily they are usually inspections and it is not necessary to take out the 3D model :p

Modeling the tower is another matter, in principle much simpler except for the outer material. Normally modern buildings have a lot of glass and you have to choose the time of day to avoid reflections or put some polarized filter. The building you're talking about is on 3 sides "occupied" by other buildings, I can't see it finished because the google maps image is old. The truth is that it is an important challenge, just think of the paperwork you would have to do, the permits to apply, close the area to traffic, etc. discourages anyone. There you have it simpler in the subject of flight permit, but for safety you are not asked to delimit, close the area? That supposes an important fight with the city council and in the majority of the cases the refusal. In my case important limitations of distances and permission of the city council, of the police, to limit the zone, too much for me, plus you only get one chance to do it right because repetition would be another ordeal. Although only the challenge attracts me....................

How's the air band radio? Does it cause as many coverage problems as people say? It's clear that it's for use in the air and in the end as a drone pilot you're always going to be on the ground. Here they have started to demand it this year, until now it was forbidden to fly CTRs or ATZs. I have to take the radio course and get the permission to communicate with the tower, again we are required to repeat the same thing we were taught when I got the permission, the equivalent to part 107 here. Again to pay............ :mad:

They have released an official website where you can see all the areas where you can fly or those that need permission to do so and the different types of areas with different permissions. It's depressing to see that there are fewer and fewer areas of uncontrolled airspace. It is no longer just an ATZ or a CTR, which we all understand, despite the large number of airports we have around here, have been built a lot but then you see empty because there is not so much demand .......... even so is all restricted air space, military zones, areas of special protection for nature, natural parks, areas of special protection of birds, etc .......... in the end we will end up flying inside a pavilion at home outside it is going to be impossible.

This and more, makes that the small ones, like me, have many difficulties and in the end only the big companies are going to be able to carry out aerial works, the sector is quite scrambled. The new law came into force at the beginning of the year and the first permit was given in August, and to the police, all other applications were rejected.......................:mad:

Next year they are going to draw up a new law again, in this case at European Union level. Once again they will change a lot of things for us and hopefully the matter will stabilise. Among the people who do pirate flights, not professionals, professional intruders, professionals bypassing the rules or otherwise do not work, requests for requirements that are very difficult to meet, so much paperwork that in the end you need a person dedicated only to it, constant changes in the rules or interpretations of it, etc., turn this into an odyssey, in the end not many jobs are done that should be able to do, and we have that the sector does not grow there is still little demand or supply. A madness..... How nice it was to go flying for fun, for hobby :rolleyes:

Reactions: plissken
Good article, I would have liked to read it years ago because based on trial and error I have thrown hundreds of images. For me to make a model of a telecommunication tower has always been the most difficult and even so I still do not get the quality I would like. The last one, 2 months ago, was discarded because of the lack of quality. Luckily they are usually inspections and it is not necessary to take out the 3D model :p

Modeling the tower is another matter, in principle much simpler except for the outer material. Normally modern buildings have a lot of glass and you have to choose the time of day to avoid reflections or put some polarized filter. The building you're talking about is on 3 sides "occupied" by other buildings, I can't see it finished because the google maps image is old. The truth is that it is an important challenge, just think of the paperwork you would have to do, the permits to apply, close the area to traffic, etc. discourages anyone. There you have it simpler in the subject of flight permit, but for safety you are not asked to delimit, close the area? That supposes an important fight with the city council and in the majority of the cases the refusal. In my case important limitations of distances and permission of the city council, of the police, to limit the zone, too much for me, plus you only get one chance to do it right because repetition would be another ordeal. Although only the challenge attracts me....................

How's the air band radio? Does it cause as many coverage problems as people say? It's clear that it's for use in the air and in the end as a drone pilot you're always going to be on the ground. Here they have started to demand it this year, until now it was forbidden to fly CTRs or ATZs. I have to take the radio course and get the permission to communicate with the tower, again we are required to repeat the same thing we were taught when I got the permission, the equivalent to part 107 here. Again to pay............ :mad:

They have released an official website where you can see all the areas where you can fly or those that need permission to do so and the different types of areas with different permissions. It's depressing to see that there are fewer and fewer areas of uncontrolled airspace. It is no longer just an ATZ or a CTR, which we all understand, despite the large number of airports we have around here, have been built a lot but then you see empty because there is not so much demand .......... even so is all restricted air space, military zones, areas of special protection for nature, natural parks, areas of special protection of birds, etc .......... in the end we will end up flying inside a pavilion at home outside it is going to be impossible.

This and more, makes that the small ones, like me, have many difficulties and in the end only the big companies are going to be able to carry out aerial works, the sector is quite scrambled. The new law came into force at the beginning of the year and the first permit was given in August, and to the police, all other applications were rejected.......................:mad:

Next year they are going to draw up a new law again, in this case at European Union level. Once again they will change a lot of things for us and hopefully the matter will stabilise. Among the people who do pirate flights, not professionals, professional intruders, professionals bypassing the rules or otherwise do not work, requests for requirements that are very difficult to meet, so much paperwork that in the end you need a person dedicated only to it, constant changes in the rules or interpretations of it, etc., turn this into an odyssey, in the end not many jobs are done that should be able to do, and we have that the sector does not grow there is still little demand or supply. A madness..... How nice it was to go flying for fun, for hobby :rolleyes:

Modeling a structure takes a lot of patients, whereas I do a lot of inspections. My work has 4 phase that is why folks in my field works in multiple locations, and it is simpler.

1) Volumetric. Most of the newly built homes in the San Francisco Bay Area as being erected on a landfill. This job also includes the filling of new dirt and gravel. This is where all the mapping is done.
2) Trenches. When developers starts to dig for rebar, followed by pipes.
3) Beam work
4) Structural inspection.
The not so glamorous in my field is Asset Management.

In your field of structural mapping takes skills, patients, and lots of coffee. LOL... One thing that I am very afraid, if ever I get to that stage is........... FLIR! because all of the structural mappers that I've met are also into night inspection, with their cool Flir cameras, or doing HVAC inspection.

Radios: As far as using them on the field, they play no major hindrance, usually the VO will chatter and not the operator.

Las Vegas, Nevada was the first time that I've experience a strict policy on drones, due to daily manned aircraft operations in the city, and Las Vegas has a unique drone law that I never new it existed. I have flown in New York, and NYC is not as strict as Nevada, as they say it is. It is easier to get a waiver in NYC than in NV.

I can wait to see your Nadir work in the future. And Bro! I yet have to answer your messages, I apologize, I will respond soon.

Reactions: arruntus
You're right but you're late, thermography is another world, a lot to learn to give decent results. When I have time I will return to focus on it, someday I will dominate it :p:p:p

As for me, at this rate. I don't think Yuneec is the ticket, but I could be wrong. My H+ is just giving lots of problems, and in our field of work, we freak out! LOL.

In front of a client, no excuses can be made, regardless of whether it is a Velcro, Yuneec or the Holy Spirit. How bad you look and possibly lose the customer many times. I don't know anything about H PLUS and I don't want anything, just the H520. Everyone uses the word "professional" to describe their products, but after professional, they have what they have :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have been out today for a test flight of the 520 due to gimble testing and H Plus for update check fight and all I can say is build 777 flew like a dream, no lag, no issues and CCC was butter smooth.

I have been out today for a test flight of the 520 due to gimble testing and H Plus for update check fight and all I can say is build 777 flew like a dream, no lag, no issues and CCC was butter smooth.

Am I full of envy right now, bro. Wishing mine is as solid as yours.

So is there a new update for the 520 or am I mixing my models here?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval