Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Making the typhoon H more portable

Reaction score
I have the Typhoon H pro and I love it, I've had no problems at all.

But the backpack is so HUGE it would give a man a complex if he didn't already have one.

So I want the Typhoon H and all its accessories to fit in a 9" x 15" x 21" case. This size is allowable on pretty much every flight.

The Typhoon will fit two of those dimensions, but folded the smallest width is 10" and change.

So I am thinking the landing gear will need removed. That should allow the two arms to fold a little farther and fit the 9 inch requirement.

But they could also just be redesigned as an upside down Y instead of the upside down T.

This has the added benefit of a more stable landing on uneven ground. I actually don't understand the current design, as the T shape has no functional benefit. That I can see.

So anyone else have any other ideas.

Also where cab I find foam to cut in to a new case? Should I use hard or soft foam?

Anyone know where I might find carbon fibre tubes like the current landing gear? And maybe joints to go with them?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Watch this

Bill W.
Thanks, I actually have watched that, and while most likely you won't have a problem that leaves you about 2 inches larger than some airlines officially allow. And about 1 inch larger than all the others officially allow.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I actually have watched that, and while most likely you won't have a problem that leaves you about 2 inches larger than some airlines officially allow. And about 1 inch larger than all the others officially allow.

As drones increase in size, generally because the size of cameras increase in size as their capability does, and that redundancy requires more propulsion devices, so does the size of the box it will fit into. Removing a camera and gimbal is pretty easy, although they need to be well protected when transported in roughly handled transportation. Removing landing gear might work but it opens the door for future landing gear failures induced by repeated removal and installation activities. A reasonably sized hard case that would be used for checked baggage transportation is likely the best solution.

Since we are all limited to the number of carry on articles that can be taken on a plane it makes sense to check what you can. By the time we stuff a change of clothes, toiletries, a laptop, 2, 3, 4 or more batteries, and a multirotor into a bag they become large, heavy and subject to damaging what is inside of them as they get stuffed into the over head compartment. That does not consider the damage induced by other passengers cramming their over stuffed carry-ons on top of ours.

Unfortunately, often what we want is not possible and we have to settle on what is actually possible.

That's why DJI have the mavic, and yuneec have the well the don't have one, and no the breeze is no quite there IMHO.

As drones increase in size, generally because the size of cameras increase in size as their capability does, and that redundancy requires more propulsion devices, so does the size of the box it will fit into. Removing a camera and gimbal is pretty easy, although they need to be well protected when transported in roughly handled transportation. Removing landing gear might work but it opens the door for future landing gear failures induced by repeated removal and installation activities. A reasonably sized hard case that would be used for checked baggage transportation is likely the best solution.

Since we are all limited to the number of carry on articles that can be taken on a plane it makes sense to check what you can. By the time we stuff a change of clothes, toiletries, a laptop, 2, 3, 4 or more batteries, and a multirotor into a bag they become large, heavy and subject to damaging what is inside of them as they get stuffed into the over head compartment. That does not consider the damage induced by other passengers cramming their over stuffed carry-ons on top of ours.

Unfortunately, often what we want is not possible and we have to settle on what is actually possible.

The places I sometimes find myself a typhoon H is 3 months wages and things go missing from airports. So it will be staying with me even if I have to disassemble it to component level...

Thankfully I don't think that will be nessecary as I can just remove the landing gear and it will be small enough. But I don't really want to remove the gear every time I pack it while I'm away. That is why a landing gear redesign would be best I think.

I plan on a rigid case and cutting out protective foam so I'm not worried about bumps...

I was kind of hoping someone had done this before me and would have some tips.

I think what I want here is more than possible I just need some carbon fiber tubes and joints.

But the backpack is so HUGE it would give a man a complex if he didn't already have one.
!

I recently had this problem, I had to transport the H by air, and I did my research to know if could take the softcase as a carry on luggage. Some people say it fits planes nicely, some say it wont..

Checked at the aiport, and it did exceed the dimensions on the "checker" for a few centimeters. I talked to the manager at the airport and he told me that some airplanes have larger overhead bins and I could try and take it as carry-on, but there was the risk that it wouldn't fit on any of the two planes I had to take, and if that was the case it would be thrown with all the checked-in luggage.

So I started looking around for the most compact way to pack it and I found a very nice and small bag on office depot, it was around $45 usd.

DSC_0039_1.jpg

DSC_0033_1.jpg

I did remove the landing gear and had to figure a very specific way to pack it to make sure nothing would get damaged.

It's a very tight fit and there's not alot of padding so I had to carry it around the airport very carefully, but the portability was completely worth it, it was also very easy to unpack at security check.

I was able to fit everything: st16, charger, props, wand, cgo3+, and 2 batteries on the lipo bag.

DSC_0034.jpg

Reactions: K2BLS
I recently had this problem, I had to transport the H by air, and I did my research to know if could take the softcase as a carry on luggage. Some people say it fits planes nicely, some say it wont..

Checked at the aiport, and it did exceed the dimensions on the "checker" for a few centimeters. I talked to the manager at the airport and he told me that some airplanes have larger overhead bins and I could try and take it as carry-on, but there was the risk that it wouldn't fit on any of the two planes I had to take, and if that was the case it would be thrown with all the checked-in luggage.

So I started looking around for the most compact way to pack it and I found a very nice and small bag on office depot, it was around $45 usd.

DSC_0039_1.jpg

DSC_0033_1.jpg

I did remove the landing gear and had to figure a very specific way to pack it to make sure nothing would get damaged.

It's a very tight fit and there's not alot of padding so I had to carry it around the airport very carefully, but the portability was completely worth it, it was also very easy to unpack at security check.

I was able to fit everything: st16, charger, props, wand, cgo3+, and 2 batteries on the lipo bag.

DSC_0034.jpg

Thanks for the pics! So much smaller for travel.

I have considered making the landing gear legs telescope in both directions to have an overall smaller package when folded.

I think taking the gimbal off and putting the legs up and the arms up will give you enough room to do what you want to do of course I could be wrong too.

So I want the Typhoon H and all its accessories to fit in a 9" x 15" x 21" case. This size is allowable on pretty much every flight.

The Typhoon will fit two of those dimensions, but folded the smallest width is 10" and change.

So I am thinking the landing gear will need removed. That should allow the two arms to fold a little farther and fit the 9 inch requirement.

But they could also just be redesigned as an upside down Y instead of the upside down T.

This has the added benefit of a more stable landing on uneven ground. I actually don't understand the current design, as the T shape has no functional benefit. That I can see.

So anyone else have any other ideas.

Also where cab I find foam to cut in to a new case? Should I use hard or soft foam?

Anyone know where I might find carbon fibre tubes like the current landing gear? And maybe joints to go with them?

Thanks for any help!
I never fly with my Typhoon H. I always ship it to the location I'm going to. I also make sure I get insurance on the package. I get to my hotel and it's waiting for me.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
I never fly with my Typhoon H. I always ship it to the location I'm going to. I also make sure I get insurance on the package. I get to my hotel and it's waiting for me.
That isn't really possible where I am flying to, at least not with any reasonable expectation of it making it there.

This took me longer than it should have, but I was so stuck on modification that I didn't look at solving the problem without modification for a long time... Then I was testing some things, I put the landing gear up and had an epiphany. I pulled the battery with the gear up. Replaced it and lowered the gear bit by bit until the gear added no height to the H but supported the weight now the drone can be 8 inches high sans gimbal or 9 with it still attached...

It will fit in a lot of good carry on sized bags which will fit in the carry on sizing box at the airport.

And so I now am thinking of buying the lowepro drone guard bp450 , but I could quite easily fit it in anything.

I know it isn't difficult to remove the landing gear and camera but wonder how difficult (or time consuming) it would be to remove the prop. arms. That would make for a really compact package to protect while traveling.

I know it isn't difficult to remove the landing gear and camera but wonder how difficult (or time consuming) it would be to remove the prop. arms. That would make for a really compact package to protect while traveling.
I agree, but I didn't want to do this every time I flew. And I wanted to be able to use the case for storage while away and possibly even replace the back pack I got with the H.

I now have it in a heavy duty equipment case measuring 21.5x16x9

I actually had to stretch the lid from 8.5 to 9 inches( External dimensions) which was a lot of work...

The inside is not yet finished I am going to get some sturdy foam and carve out spots for everything. Here are some pics so far.
ca12d928ac5675d3d4e91a69d7bace97.jpg
b2a6aef3d73db9b2e5d3fa36a2cca8bf.jpg
5df350979e532f2a85023245c9342675.jpg

Reactions: Tuna

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval