Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

MapView Overlay in the Core App or 3Rd Party app

I'm not sure what you are talking about! So what exactly do you call the H? Whatever you say, It all comes down to semantics!!!

If you don't have anything positive to contribute, please don't bother replying.

Yes, I should have done more homework, but something so common that pretty well most of the lower end Quads have (e.g., the parrot bebop 2) I didn't think that a high caliber quad like the H did not have this functionality and therefore I totally overlooked it. If you said you read my posts you would have read that I admitted that I overlooked this.

I was hoping that this forum would be a bit more helpful and sympathetic, but for the most part all I seem to be getting is negative comments and people resisting to something so simple and common in most of today's Quad.

I thought I was being quite helpful. If you learned a bit more about what you bought you would gain a better understanding of what you might do with it.

Understand it is not a DJI product, does not have the same features, with limited apps available for it. You can call it a 420 or an H, but it's not a quad. It's a hex. Quad=4, Hex=6. That's not semantics, it's basic math. If you're going to compare it to DJI at least get the boom count right.

Reactions: SloDrone
I'm not sure what you are talking about! So what exactly do you call the H? Whatever you say, It all comes down to semantics!!!

If you don't have anything positive to contribute, please don't bother replying.

Yes, I should have done more homework, but something so common that pretty well most of the lower end Quads have (e.g., the parrot bebop 2) I didn't think that a high caliber quad like the H did not have this functionality and therefore I totally overlooked it. If you said you read my posts you would have read that I admitted that I overlooked this.

I was hoping that this forum would be a bit more helpful and sympathetic, but for the most part all I seem to be getting is negative comments and people resisting to something so simple and common in most of today's Quad.

Don't get offended, people are genuinely trying to help. There are some very smart, experienced drone operators in this forum, but you need to realise that there have been plenty of newbies coming in here asking a lot of similar questions so the answers get increasingly terse.

You've come in essentially asking "Why isn't this like an <other model>?" and the answer is "Because it's a completely different drone". From your other posts, it appears you've not received it yet. I suggest you fly it before you start worrying about what features you need. Really, it's a lovely machine in the sky and once you get over the difference in the controller, I think you'll enjoy flying it immensely. :)

On the subject of semantics, yes as others have said, a 'quad' refers to the number of props (quad like quadrant or quarter - from the Latin for 'four'). The Typhoon is a 'hex' (six props) and you can get 'octo's as well. So when someone talks about, say the Breeze as a 'quad' they're shortening 'quad-copter' - a helicopter type aircraft with four props.

There is a whole list of things you can't do with the H. Flips. Nope. No flips. Rolls. Nope. FPV racing. Uh no. Land and takeoff in water....not recommended. Fly in the kitchen...not. Put an app on your phone and fly. Nope.
If you want this kind of thing stick to the ones that are built for it. If you want an exceptional video copter this one is a good choice.

This thread has run it's course. I will close it for further comment in the next few hours.

Steve, this is not what I'm asking for and comparing it against. Again, all I asked for is waypoints with a map overlay, as simple as that.

I'm somewhat disappointed regarding my first experience with this group. I'm a member of other groups and I have never seen this type of reaction to a simple and straightforward requirement.

Obviously this is going no where even though there's a lot of users asking for it, therefore If this how you feel, go ahead and close it.

Steve, this is not what I'm asking for and comparing it against. Again, all I asked for is waypoints with a map overlay, as simple as that.
I am a relative newbie to the H but before I chose it, I did an exhaustive research comparing different drones so had a good idea of what I had ordered. Knowing a bit about GPS and is accuracy/reliability, I would never fly on a map display alone unless I was hundreds of feet above ground, in which case most oppurtunities for good photos/videos are lost. And that is what this bird is. A joy to fly, unless you want aerobatics, and an excellent camera platform. Anyway the screen isn't big enough to show a map and the camera feed!

Have you done the search I suggested? That's the research we talk about some times. Useing the magnifying glass or even Google can /will bring up many post about this. One reason we get irritated with some posts are usually answered with a simple search. This day and time people want hand outs without doing the work.
And we end up answering the same questions over and over.
But your questions have been answered as no the typhoon H 480 (the one you have) doesn't have that. The new typhoon H 520 (yet to be released) may have it and 3rd party app support. The Tornado 920 Has It With Waypoint. You can modify a file in the st16 to get it to work on the typhoon H 480 but you have to do a Google search for it. (Hint it is in these forums) . Finally, yes some people like that feature and some could care less.

I am a relative newbie to the H but before I chose it, I did an exhaustive research comparing different drones so had a good idea of what I had ordered. Knowing a bit about GPS and is accuracy/reliability, I would never fly on a map display alone unless I was hundreds of feet above ground, in which case most oppurtunities for good photos/videos are lost. And that is what this bird is. A joy to fly, unless you want aerobatics, and an excellent camera platform. Anyway the screen isn't big enough to show a map and the camera feed!

Thanks for your response. I don't mean to sound rude, but I've never mentioned anything about relying on the map for accuracy. Believe me I know all about map accuracy. I work for a Mapping agency. All I'm looking for is to use the map as a reference and a means to see where the quad (or hex or whatever people want to call it) is relative to me and or waypoints. WRT the screen size, I think it is plenty big. I use my iPhone 7+ with my 3DR Solo and its fine.

Yuneec007, first welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to say there are some residents here that come across as very defensive about the Yuneec and are usually very quick to belittle peoples feedback on features with "this isn't a DJI" or "you shouldn't have bought this". Many of them have been flying RC's for years and I guess the influx of "newbs" that fail to appreciate the older days (don't mention self centering sticks) can rile them from time to time, it's human nature and happens in all walks of life so try to ignore it.

I was surprised to see no map function with the Yuneec H as most sUAV do seem to include that feature. Is it helpful? For some yes, others no and the rest probably never thought about it. I always like to see more functions, and let's not forget the H shipped without a histogram feature among others.

enjoy

Thanks and you've the only person who has given me an honest, direct, but not offensive reply. You've restored my faith in this forum. Cheers!

Have you done the search I suggested? That's the research we talk about some times. Useing the magnifying glass or even Google can /will bring up many post about this. One reason we get irritated with some posts are usually answered with a simple search. This day and time people want hand outs without doing the work.
And we end up answering the same questions over and over.
But your questions have been answered as no the typhoon H 480 (the one you have) doesn't have that. The new typhoon H 520 (yet to be released) may have it and 3rd party app support. The Tornado 920 Has It With Waypoint. You can modify a file in the st16 to get it to work on the typhoon H 480 but you have to do a Google search for it. (Hint it is in these forums) . Finally, yes some people like that feature and some could care less.

Hi,

Of course I did the search, and yes I know what the what the magnifying glass does and how to do a google search. Why do people have to be so condescending with new users?

I understand the frustration with new users, but you have this with every forum. For the most part, there are a lot of good souls out there that are willing to help and that is much appreciated. Some of these are in this forum. I help out a lot myself in other forums but only when I can give the user a positive feedback or I have the info to direct the user to a more reliable source.

As a new user of the H I was hoping that someone would be kind enough and remember back when they were new and struggle themselves and, therefore, have the heart to direct the me to the conversation or to someone that can help directly. People seem to forget that as a new user of new technology it is very overwhelming to search through threads that may have what you want, but when you start reading it you find information that you are not sure if it is even relevant to the thread, which happens over 50% of the time.

Thanks for your time and efforts.

Hi,

Of course I did the search, and yes I know what the what the magnifying glass does and how to do a google search. Why do people have to be so condescending with new users?

I understand the frustration with new users, but you have this with every forum. For the most part, there are a lot of good souls out there that are willing to help and that is much appreciated. Some of these are in this forum. I help out a lot myself in other forums but only when I can give the user a positive feedback or I have the info to direct the user to a more reliable source.

As a new user of the H I was hoping that someone would be kind enough and remember back when they were new and struggle themselves and, therefore, have the heart to direct the me to the conversation or to someone that can help directly. People seem to forget that as a new user of new technology it is very overwhelming to search through threads that may have what you want, but when you start reading it you find information that you are not sure if it is even relevant to the thread, which happens over 50% of the time.

I do remember when I was new and I do remember me asking the same questions. I also remember getting the same answers. Now as a not new user I understand where they were coming from. I also see the value in a new user combing through all that information. Just as I had to it tought me a lot and learned more about stuff I wasn't looking for but was and has been useful today. I still find myself combing through threads and articles trying to find my answers I need. I have and do help people by giving them the link and such and will continue to do so. However, sometimes getting that link requires me to do just as they should search. And while I wish I could be at a place to search for people all the time I have a job and need to keep it.[emoji12] .
I am not a yuneec loyalist I chose this based on my needs and preferences. Like I don't like how you have to use your phone or tablet with the dji stuff. I don't have to worry about my phone charge with the Typhoon. There is nothing wrong with wanting a feature but don't say it's a critical feature when it's not or say because all other drones have it. That sets people off quickly as each product is different and if all had the same stuff then they would all be the same. It's no different than buying a car or any other product tv etc. (Even a spouse)You select the one that fits the best.
Also I agree we sometimes come off mean and blunt but we do try to help. And sometimes with the influx of new untrained pilots they are the ones who go out and fly over that neighbors house to spy on the girl laying out or crash into a crowd. Etc. And that's not good for us as a whole. Not saying you will or do. So we try to get them to do the work and learn. As I have found if you are serious about something you won't mind doing the work.
Hi,

Hi, that's a fair response and one that I have no problems with.

Sorry if I repeat my self, but my intentions were; (1) find out if there was a mapview capability that I may have not been aware of or if it was being implemented in a future firmware upgrade; (2) if not why?: (3) if the answers to both 1&2 were no, than find out if there was a third party app that provided the mapview/map overlay.

It is obvious though that Yuneec sees a need since this capabilities may be coming with their commercial grade crafts.

I'm glad to hear that a few people agree with me!
Although, I don't think the map is the reason lol. 3rd party apps for commercial use is the reason apps like dronedeploy. But just because it's open to 3rd party apps doesn't mean it will have a map view.
Just saying.

I think it is safer to have the mapview to determine the heading of the craft and to see exactly where it is if you loose sight of it. I think it is a very useful safety feature to have. I don't look at it as tool to use to fly the craft blindly, but strictly as a safety feature.

If you loose sight, and are not sure of orientation, use rth, simple.

About the way points... Your st-16 should have a H920 model setup. You load and bind your Typhoon H to the H920 model
and you will get the added functionality of a dedicated way point editor that SEEMS to be fully functional. I have set it up
and tested it (not flying). I'm pretty sure you will void any warranty if you use it and it fails. At this point, I am not sure
if anyone has tested it fully yet.

And yes, I like this forum but some folks seem to be hit or miss - defensive sometimes or come across as rude.
Sadly, that type behavior just drives people away. Remember that not all people on here are like that.

GOOD LUCK.

About the way points... Your st-16 should have a H920 model setup. You load and bind your Typhoon H to the H920 model
and you will get the added functionality of a dedicated way point editor that SEEMS to be fully functional. I have set it up
and tested it (not flying). I'm pretty sure you will void any warranty if you use it and it fails. At this point, I am not sure
if anyone has tested it fully yet.

And yes, I like this forum but some folks seem to be hit or miss - defensive sometimes or come across as rude.
Sadly, that type behavior just drives people away. Remember that not all people on here are like that.

GOOD LUCK.
Thanks Brent, people like you and a few others that have responded to my thread have restored my faith with this forum.

Unfortunately the story doesn't end here.

I picked up my H (with Intel ReaLSense) yesterday only to find out that it wasn't just an open box unit, but according to the telemetry data it had been used since last Dec 2016 and it had broken props to boot. I bought it from BUYDIG through eBay. BUYDIG states that an open box is a new item that's not been used and inspected throughly by their technicians. Very disappointed and I may just return it. I asked if they could send me another one, but they simply responded for me to send it back. My fear to keep it is not knowing what else is wrong with it.

Not a very good start overal.

Reactions: Brent D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech