Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Misrepresenting Product - Tried to help & argumentative

@Dougcjohn the H920 platform is dead, Yuneec isn't working on it anymore. 920/920+ Spare Parts
correct... was watching the new H Plus... the 920 were basically dead 20' out the gate. If you watched the UK advertising videos or the UK Yuneec interviews prior to H920 / H920+ launches... it looked like many things were in the works... not a one for either generation became a reality. As mentioned previous in several posts... that was probably one of Yuneecs's biggest marketing errors. They had a head start on midrange payload Hex with the 920 and they dropped it. Other's now getting into basically the same payload class platform for Video production and Inspection work... but 6-8 different belly mounts and 1-2 roof top mounts. Yuneec had it... and didn't pursue it. The part I really don't understand is with the 2-3 years worth of technology improvements and slight electronic improvements, why they haven't put the resources together to re-introduce the 920.

Reactions: thoneter
correct... was watching the new H Plus... the 920 were basically dead 20' out the gate. If you watched the UK advertising videos or the UK Yuneec interviews prior to H920 / H920+ launches... it looked like many things were in the works... not a one for either generation became a reality. As mentioned previous in several posts... that was probably one of Yuneecs's biggest marketing errors. They had a head start on midrange payload Hex with the 920 and they dropped it. Other's now getting into basically the same payload class platform for Video production and Inspection work... but 6-8 different belly mounts and 1-2 roof top mounts. Yuneec had it... and didn't pursue it. The part I really don't understand is with the 2-3 years worth of technology improvements and slight electronic improvements, why they haven't put the resources together to re-introduce the 920.
It pains me to agree wholeheartedly with you but I think you nailed it. I know there's other crusty old farts that might disagree with me but I think that if the Chinese market got their heads out of their board members butts they'd have listened to the knowledgeable old farts and kept the original Yuneec fanboys like myself as avid fans!

More so to have spare parts since it's a dead bird. I have 2 480's, 3 st16's, and 3 cgo3+'s. If one falls apart or I decide to visit a tree or yacht again then I've got a backup. I'd also like to compare the stability and have both team mode and smart mode options.
For the core components, depending on what would be needed... and for what some are selling their H920's for... that probably would be a pretty good idea. Do a few scans on eBay... the H920 is very slim on components, some over the top price listings and a few nice buys.
But the H920 is a rare one to find parts... compared to other birds.

I’m another that believes the original 920 is considerably superior to the 920 Plus. It would be nice to see Yuneec fess up and tell why they degraded it but that’s not gonna happen. If we ponder the Chinese business mindset I’ll surmise the reason would be rooted around money and volume.

The battery issue with the Plus is easily resolved, and cheaper than using OEM batteries using after market batteries. Reduced flight time is no longer an issue.

Theoneter’s issue with 920 stability is something I would hope can be resolved with performing a new compass calibration. My Plus is at least equal to that of the H, but my perception and experience has it better, and recent observation of the Plus power board suggests the Plus and original 920 likely use all the same hardware.

As for the H Plus, what it has been proposed to be is largely what I hoped the 520 would do, but they dropped a brick on their foot with that one. It would have been more efficient to incorporate the “improved” cinema capabilities and flight modes of the H Plus into the 520 with it’s mapping modes. That would provide more justification for the 520 cost level. It would have also reduced the number of components needed to be generated and maintained, which would in turn minimize production cost and maximize profitability. But they chose not to and threw a very immature 520 out there hoping to invigorate falling sales levels. Because of that my hopes for the H Plus are high but tempered with a lot of caution as their announced future release of a fixed wing product presented an aircraft that was easily off the shelf obtainable almost 4 years ago. Considering the upcoming racer release will likely end up a rehashed Breeze and we might think they’ve lost their way with creativity.

I know many of you think I'm tossing chicken bones here but I think the different firmware is the difference on the stability. I don't know enough about how the accelerometer works and this may actually be off factually but can that come into play? The other thing I am not fond of is the fact that no one knows how to get to the gui on the 920.

I'm simply throwing this out but is there a way for someone to hack into the Yuneec 920 firmware to give those smarter than I the opportunity to change the settings. I think the 920 is a great platform with idiots that don't want to give us access. The Walkera Tali 500 that I had was great for getting that access.

If I had two of them and a spare board I would have no reservations with opening up the covers and connecting a micro USB directly to the flight controller to see if it linked up with Mission Planner. Being limited with funds and only one 920 I’ll leave that to someone else with initiative. Normally I prefer to do all my own research but there are times it’s not practical.

I will say that if you are reluctant to perform a new compass cal you could end up waiting forever to correct an issue that might be easily eliminated. Nothing in life is guaranteed except death and taxes but there are times the odds of success are highly favorable.

If I had two of them and a spare board I would have no reservations with opening up the covers and connecting a micro USB directly to the flight controller to see if it linked up with Mission Planner. Being limited with funds and only one 920 I’ll leave that to someone else with initiative. Normally I prefer to do all my own research but there are times it’s not practical.

I will say that if you are reluctant to perform a new compass cal you could end up waiting forever to correct an issue that might be easily eliminated. Nothing in life is guaranteed except death and taxes but there are times the odds of success are highly favorable.
I'm not reluctant to perform another compass calibration. It took some time for both of my 480's to get non-nuancy. With so many guys on here and FB it would behoove us to get together and make the firmware available. I don't think Yuneec is going to give us access, so I think it's time for us to take control. That's all I'm saying. I'm smart enough to realize that I'm not smart enough to get this done.

I’m not either and recognize teamwork is required. If we look at the EU 920 FB pages we’ll see that has not been common over there. The situation was not much different here. One or two immerse themselves in research and practice while the rest complain, follow or rely on dealers/distributors to save them. I think the reason for that is most people buy what they can instantly use, having little or no understanding of what makes them work. It’s one of the downsides of dumbing down products to enable greater sales volume. Philosophically, it reduces to being predator or prey. Most choose prey and end up at the mercy of the predators.

There should be little doubt Yuneec abandoned the 920 and the associated customers. It was mentioned in the beginning of my meanderings here that we either accepted the system as is or take personal initiative in later modifications. Nothing has changed in that respect.

Last edited:
You are completely correct in that much like our nation a few are aware of what's going on and the others are oblivious to what's going on. Unfortunately it allows the governing bodies and manufacturers to take advantage of the sheep. As far as I'm concerned you and a few others have done a nice job in finding battery alternatives.

With the lack of access to the firmware and the 920 being dead it puts us in a precarious position which isn't bad if the drone was a $50 purchase. $3000 is a lot to buy a dead bird. I think pressure is needed to get them to give us access to the firmware. Only my 2 cents worth.

I don’t see the lack of future software support as that much of an issue. What we have is stable and dependable. They both work, and work rather well. We just need to learn them well enough to make effective use of what they provide.

Realistically the manufacturers have shifted to obsoleting products to generate stable sales volume by introducing new products with minor improvements over the last. The improvements with the new products could easily have been incorporated into the previous products. In theory Yuneec might have killed off the standing 920’s in order to release a “930 or 950”. That’s pretty much the path DJI has taken with their consumer level products. Consumers are getting hosed but they’ve been conditioned like Pavlov’s dog to accept it.

What is a shame is the refusal to provide just a little more in software improvements to correct the few things not quite right with either of the 920 platforms.

Last edited:
Pat I agree with your analysis but how does one set the RTH value on the 920? How do I calibrate the accelerometer? Why have a timer on the st24 that doesn't work? If the 480 and 920+ are more stable what did Yuneec do to get this done? I don't expect you or others to have the answers to these questions but those are the things that baffle me and if the options aren't in the st24 or we can't access the GUI then it is something that I'd like to be able to access and change in the firmware.

I don’t have answers but for the accelerometers I have a suggestion. Set up on a level surface, power up, and let it sit undisturbed for 60 seconds or so after boot up is completed. Many accelerometers self zero if left alone after power up.

For RTH adjustment, that may not be possible. We should remember the Q-500, Chroma, and Typhoon 4k were not adjustable, nor was the original H firmware. The 920 didn’t get the later upgrade.

I don’t have answers but for the accelerometers I have a suggestion. Set up on a level surface, power up, and let it sit undisturbed for 60 seconds or so after boot up is completed. Many accelerometers self zero if left alone after power up.

For RTH adjustment, that may not be possible. We should remember the Q-500, Chroma, and Typhoon 4k were not adjustable, nor was the original H firmware. The 920 didn’t get the later upgrade.
I had the H when it didn't have RTH height. After having the Walkera Tali it was a bummer to not be able to set the RTH. Do you or anyone else know if the accelerometer has any thing to due with stability?

Let’s put it this way. A compass out of cal combined with accelerometers prevented from zeroing during boot up is a recipe for a crash or fly away. You can fly a multirotor all day long without a compass or GPS. If you are faster than a computer you might be able to fly without accelerometers, but it would be a wild ride.

Many multirotor crashes are induced by people in too much of a hurry to let a system self stabilize before lift off. Accelerometers are 100% of the input to establish what commands the auto pilot needs to send to stabilize the aircraft. Compass is direction and orientation while GPS is position relative to the surface.

Last edited:
Found this listing on eBay...
Yuneec GB 603 Gimbal and GH 4 camera | eBay
***** later in day, looks like he made attempt to correct *****
3/31/18 - Relisted... same ad, just refreshed.
Yuneec CGO4 Camera and Gimbal (GH4 camera made for Yuneec by Panasonic) | eBay

Listing a GB603 and GH4 Camera @ $2500.
I open listing and see a CGO4 system.
To be helpful, I send him a short note giving the information to be accurate.
He replies back that he's a Yuneec Dealer and knows product and I'm wrong. :confused:

Again, in an attempt to be helpful, I send him a note indicating what the product actually is and provide links on Yuneec H920 CGO4 page, links to BH Photo showing a GB603 and GH4, and found a site that shows the GH4 mounted and provide that as a visual. ;)

Wow... I receive agrumentative responses that ended in him telling me to stay off his listing.
So I indicated I'd forward his listing link to the H920 owners, maybe it would help him reconsider his position.

:eek: LOL... He replies back with a very informative note of 2 words... F... You!!

WOW... Yuneec Dealer eh!
Well don't feel too bad. I simply came on this forum inquiring a few things because "HELLO, IT IS A FORUM" for Q's and A's and a particular fellow on here who thinks he knows it all and is above my inquiries decided to be a rude negative-nancy and basically tell me to "RTFM". The funny thing is that I didn't even ask him anything. He simply was having a bad day and decided to chime in. I don't think he was taught that if you do not have anything good to say, don't say it at all as a child. Haters everywhere. Poor guy. :D

Well don't feel too bad. I simply came on this forum inquiring a few things because "HELLO, IT IS A FORUM" for Q's and A's and a particular fellow on here who thinks he knows it all and is above my inquiries decided to be a rude negative-nancy and basically tell me to "RTFM". The funny thing is that I didn't even ask him anything. He simply was having a bad day and decided to chime in. I don't think he was taught that if you do not have anything good to say, don't say it at all as a child. Haters everywhere. Poor guy. :D

Welcome to the forum... and the joy the flying! :)
I roam various chopper forums, and this one is more family style... humor, encouragement, and friendly "gestures" mixed in with knowledge. You'll find there are several 'Ole Crusty's within the forum and most have an opinion that goes with their experience; some have a gentler manor and others a little brass rubbed off from military years... but all helpful. You can pickup a ton of collective information... often, from the brassy! Excuse me, but in reading your post and the RTFM... that brought back chuckles as a young FNG and memories of a Sr troop expressing his desire I learn... and rather quickly. Gained a lot from that one and many more afterward... comes in many fashions.

Don't think you can find a better forum group and the combined knowledge & humor.
I'm a Newbie with a little dust, and a 'Ole Crusty. Enjoy the forum!
I can hear the growl... RTFM... funny! :rolleyes:

I roam various chopper forums, and this one is more family style... humor, encouragement, and friendly "gestures" mixed in with knowledge. You'll find there are several 'Ole Crusty's within the forum and most have an opinion that goes with their experience; some have a gentler manor and others a little brass rubbed off from military years... but all helpful. You can pickup a ton of collective information... often, from the brassy! Excuse me, but in reading your post and the RTFM... that brought back chuckles as a young FNG and memories of a Sr troop expressing his desire I learn... and rather quickly. Gained a lot from that one and many more afterward... comes in many fashions.

Don't think you can find a better forum group and the combined knowledge & humor.
[emoji111][emoji1]

[emoji111][emoji1]
I just thinks it's hilarious because there are always newcomers here likely inquiring of similar topics that may or may not have been already touched upon and will likely continue be the trend. I then visualize this funny fellow greeting all newcomers with his universal greeting something of the lines of "HEY.. RTFM!" :D:D:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval