Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Mixing Yaw and Ailerions

Reaction score
Mixing Yaw and Aerilon:

A friend has a Solo, and the 'Drift' mode is pretty awesome.

From the Solo website:
"Drift mode requires GPS lock and provides a plane-like flying experience. Drift is ideal for navigating Solo using the video feed. This is known as first-person view (FPV) and provides an immersive flying experience. In Drift, Solo combines roll, pitch, and yaw onto the controller’s right stick. To navigate Solo in Drift, move the right stick to initiate a coordinated turn in that direction. Releasing the right stick causes Solo to drift to a stop over a two-second period. Solo does not automatically control altitude in Drift, and requires constant adjustments to the throttle stick when flying in Drift."

I am trying to mix this into the ST16, and it seems possible.

I am able to mix the Yaw with the Aerilons, and essentially have the control stick move in equal parts the Yaw as the Aerilons move. I am not sure of what this will be like in the real-world operational mode.

Before I actually try this and crash, has anyone accomplished this? Thoughts on how to implement?

I've used Drift mode with a Pixhawk controlled X8. It's a lot of fun for just flying around but makes camera work pretty difficult to execute. The H controller is not a Pixhawk, lacking much of that flexibility, but perhaps it's possible. If your willing to take the risk experimenting with mixing the channels might be fun.

Just a thought, you may not want to mix yaw and roll equally and have yaw provide somewhat less input relative to roll. Bear in mind that when flown aggressively, Drift mode can be pretty hard on a gimbal.

Last edited:
Thanks Pat. That is the advice I am looking for. I don't know the initial mix ratio I should have. In my initial mix and seeing the response on the ST16 (not flying) you can counter act the yaw the aerilons are inducing by using opposite on the yaw. This may solve the camera issue which I am also sensitive to.

So Driftmode is inherent in the Pixhawk, not a special mix from 3DR. Good to know as well.

PatR, do you fly an Eagletree Vector as well? I don't see the drift mode on those either, but have not taken mine up since the TH arrived.

Will play a bit with the mix on the TH. Need to find a bigger yard to try it out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dubiousflyer