Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Motor Noise

Reaction score
Part of my pre-flight is to install the propellers and give them a spin in both directions after insertion.
I have noticed that all 3 of my "A" motors make a grinding noise while the "B" motors are nice and smooth.
Has anyone else noticed this?

Is it a noise like sand in the bearings or is it just a notchy feel to the rotation as if it was stopping at each magnet position? The latter is normal and may affect different motors at different times. It can be caused by residual charge in the ESC's.

Sounds more like sand or a bad bearing.
No battery installed, H has been powered down for several days.
Going back to Yuneec anyway for ST-16 issues, so have asked them to have a look.
Just strange all three A motors.

This might sound odd, but when I get that sound out of my motors I can fix it by taking the prop off and rotating it 180°

see if that fixes it...

I noticed this as well, but in my case the sound I was listening to was actually some play between the motor and the propeller, I guess they wear and start getting a bit loose, nothing I would worry much about, though.

I recently ordered a new set of A and B propellers and they fit it very tightly and there's no sound from any motor. So I believe it could be normal wear from the propeller tabs that lock with the motor.

I had one motor on my H that sounded different than the others when the propeller was spun by hand. I ordered a new motor replacement from Carolina Drones. Installed the new motor and it makes the exact same sound. It is a bearing type of rattle and sounds different than the other 5 motors. It flys perfectly and was just a safety check on my part to replace something that was sounding odd. The take away is that some motors may sound a little different than others when manually spun by the propeller. I have flipped the propeller 180 degrees and changed the prop lock. This one motor and the new replacement motor still has a different sound than the others. I will now deem athe sound as normal after the motor switch and flight testing.

I tried reversing the propeller by rotating it 180 degrees as DarkWhite suggested. Same noise either way.
Placed a brand new propeller on the motor NO noise in either direction and both orientations.
Is this possibly a sign of prop mount wear?
I am sending my H back to Yuneec for ST-16 issues, I will send a propeller with it maybe we can get an answer from them.
Funny how it is only the A motors.

Mine was also on the A motor. When ordering a new Typhoon H motor. Either A or B it is the same part number that arrives for either motor even though they ask A or B. I called Carolina Drones after receiving an A and B motor and saw they were identical in part numbers. They said that is correct. Same motor A or B, it creates an A or B (CW vs CCW) by the way it hooks up to the main board. You just match the colored wires identically to the one you are replacing. Replacing the motors is time consuming, fishing the wires through the carbon fiber arms takes some time and can be frustrating due to the rivets protruding into the tube, but is the cheaper route then buying the whole arm assembly. Time vs money your choice on replacement.

I tried reversing the propeller by rotating it 180 degrees as DarkWhite suggested. Same noise either way.
Placed a brand new propeller on the motor NO noise in either direction and both orientations.
Is this possibly a sign of prop mount wear?
I am sending my H back to Yuneec for ST-16 issues, I will send a propeller with it maybe we can get an answer from them.
Funny how it is only the A motors.

In my very humble opinion, I wouldn't worry too much on this noise. As you mentioned, when you placed a new propeller then there was no noise, my thought would be: the propeller has worn.

Same thing happened to me: when I hand spun the propeller I would get a rattle in a couple of motors. But when I received a new set of propellers I instantly felt that they snapped tightly in place and the rattle was gone.

FYI, motor rotation direction has always been established by the ESC's. Need a motor to run the direction opposite what it is now? Simple, just swap the position of any two of the three wires from the ESC.

Question, why are so many compelled to remove their props after flying? Does the H really have to be fit back into the box every day? Why induce wear if it's not absolutely necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat,
For me I have no where at home to keep my H out of the box. Either the cats would try to play with the props, or my better half would run her Walker into it.
I would just like to get some sort of official word from Yuneec. It just strikes me that it is only (for me) the "A" propellers. My "B" propellers have the same amount of flight time but do not have the noise problem.

I fully understand cats and their "toys". If it's possible to "load test" the motor/prop combinations under low idle power you could check for unusual sounds and eyeball prop tip tracking. Has to be idle power though or the prop tips will have some level of flex being demonstrated.

All motors make some noise, and often those of the same brand and model will sound differently but function just fine. Repetitive on/off cycles of self locking props is going to generate some level of wear that will induce sloppy fit over time. Self locking props are consumer convenient but terrible for obtaining the best security or life span. Done right they would be secured with torqued mechanical fasteners. A lot of things are done on consumer drones that are not "best practices" but they help sell product. Fact is, we like "easy". As long as we insist on having those features we will have to accept the trade offs that come with them. As people become more knowledgeable they recognize why true pro level rigs are built and set up as they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Received my H back from Yuneec. Although I had put a note along with a suspect propeller in the box, they had no comments on the return invoice about the prop. After some phone tag I was able to speak with the repair technician about the propeller issue. I would have rather had in writing so I could post it here. According to what I was told:
  • As long is there are no nicks or cracks, the propeller is safe to use.
  • As long as it clicks and securely locks into place it is safe to use.
  • Is is NORMAL for some noise to be heard when spun by hand, it should stop once the motor is spooled up and the propeller loads up.
Glad I have a step in my pre-takeoff to do a pirouette before flying off, I look and listen for anomalies.

I noticed this as well, but in my case the sound I was listening to was actually some play between the motor and the propeller, I guess they wear and start getting a bit loose, nothing I would worry much about, though.

I recently ordered a new set of A and B propellers and they fit it very tightly and there's no sound from any motor. So I believe it could be normal wear from the propeller tabs that lock with the motor.

I had the same problem and it was 'Prop Wear'. I put all new Props on the 'H' and it was fine for about 10 flights, then back again. I used VERY small (soft clear silicon) 'O' Rings between the Prop and Motor Mounts. Perfect now. If you look down into the Prop Mounts on the Motors, you can see like white powder, where the plastic Prop and Mounts have worn against each other. I have done over 300 Flights so I guess there will be some wear-and-tear. The 'O' Ring stops all play in the Prop and as far as I can tell, does not stress anything.

View media item 358

Reactions: JulesTEO
Ray,
Stand in front of a mirror, place hands above head and spin around. There is your video.

@Andyzonk , good find,
I will take a closer look at those. wonder if I can get those from Yuneec.

I had the same problem and it was 'Prop Wear'. I put all new Props on the 'H' and it was fine for about 10 flights, then back again. I used VERY small (soft clear silicon) 'O' Rings between the Prop and Motor Mounts. Perfect now. If you look down into the Prop Mounts on the Motors, you can see like white powder, where the plastic Prop and Mounts have worn against each other. I have done over 300 Flights so I guess there will be some wear-and-tear. The 'O' Ring stops all play in the Prop and as far as I can tell, does not stress anything.

View media item 358

Where would one purchase the "O" rings?

Off topic but a prop observation. The props on my H lock down pretty tight. The props on my P4 feel loose in comparison. The P4 props are lifted into a lug by weak leaf springs. The P4 props have quite a bit of play when locked in position, at first I thought it was an oversight but now think the floppy nature has a purpose.

The P4 props "flap" like a helicopter rotor blade. This could lead to smoother flight as each prop blade can react to turbulence.

At least this is a theory, it would be interesting to lock the P4 props down and see if it flies any different. Or an H with new vs worn props.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval