Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Motors quit in flight

Reaction score
I thought I would post and let everyone know that I started flying my H today and at about 10' or so, with the landing gear still down, all of the motors just quit. It dropped to the ground, breaking the camera and landing gear. I wasn't touching anything on the controller. I know what you might be thinking, it was the battery that wasn't firmly seated and locked in place. Nope, after the H hit the ground, the aircraft was still powered on. The H has approximately 12 hours of flight time.

Yuneec had better convince that this won't happen again, otherwise I will probably be asking do my money back.

Just a warning to all of you H pilots out there.

I thought I would post and let everyone know that I started flying my H today and at about 10' or so, with the landing gear still down, all of the motors just quit. It dropped to the ground, breaking the camera and landing gear. I wasn't touching anything on the controller. I know what you might be thinking, it was the battery that wasn't firmly seated and locked in place. Nope, after the H hit the ground, the aircraft was still powered on. The H has approximately 12 hours of flight time.

Yuneec had better convince that this won't happen again, otherwise I will probably be asking do my money back.

So the warning is don't fly at 10' with the landing gear down? jk Seriously though give us more details like what mode you were in, was the battery fully charged, how many satellites, all that kind of info. Did you send in the logs to yuneec? How long into the flight did this happen? How far away was it. Do you have pictures? Any info you give will help. So you've had about 48 flights without incident till this sudden motor shutdown that's scary! How many batteries do you have? Possibly a bad battery maybe or IMU failure? Hope you get this all sorted out, keep us informed what yuneec says.

When you say quit, do you mean they fully stopped spinning or they went into idle mode (as if it thought it was on the deck).

-- does the the PC app give you any info on errors?

So the warning is don't fly at 10' with the landing gear down? jk Seriously though give us more details like what mode you were in, was the battery fully charged, how many satellites, all that kind of info. Did you send in the logs to yuneec? How long into the flight did this happen? How far away was it. Do you have pictures? Any info you give will help. So you've had about 48 flights without incident till this sudden motor shutdown that's scary! How many batteries do you have? Possibly a bad battery maybe or IMU failure? Hope you get this all sorted out, keep us informed what yuneec says.

Have you inspected your flight logs at all ?

When I mean they quit, they came to a sudden halt, exactly like when you hold down the red start/stop button. There was no idling at all. The unit was hovering, and I wasn't using the throttle at all. I can't be sure, but I don't believe I was touching any of the controls. The unit was stable while it was hovering. It wasn't moving around like it was searching to stay in place.

Assuming this is what you mean, I didn't connect the H to the PC and run the software because I didn't want the factory to think I was trying to change anything or manipulate it in anyway. If it would log that info anyway, I don't know. I did save the three flight logs from the remote though.

I downloaded the flight logs, but can't really tell what's going on there. The telemetry log where the motors stopped shows 16.2V, it was using the GPS, with 17 satellites present. I am not sure what the values mean, but it shows the imu_status went from 97 then 225, but not sure that is when the motors stopped because the motor_status stayed at 255 through the entire 2 minute flight log. The altitude went from -.31 to 0.01 at this transition as well.

I was in attitude flight mode, with the landing gear down,many OBS off. The unit was approximately 20 feet away from me when this happened.

Reactions: Tecneek
Markinter,

Yuneec gave me an RMA number and said to ship it in. If they found the problem to be my fault I would have to pay for the repair and shipping. If it was a malfunction, they would pay for the repair and shipping. They asked me to send in the remote and H but nothing else, not even the battery.

You also asked how many batteries I have. I only have that one battery and yes, I have had about 41 flights on that battery. I just ordered 3 more batteries and a second charger from Yuneec literally a few days before this happened.

I had the problem, but I was at 300 feet. Third flight. Last week was too busy to begin CS process but will on Monday. I had a couple of terrific flights first. Really surprised.

When I mean they quit, they came to a sudden halt, exactly like when you hold down the red start/stop button. There was no idling at all. The unit was hovering, and I wasn't using the throttle at all. I can't be sure, but I don't believe I was touching any of the controls. The unit was stable while it was hovering. It wasn't moving around like it was searching to stay in place.

Assuming this is what you mean, I didn't connect the H to the PC and run the software because I didn't want the factory to think I was trying to change anything or manipulate it in anyway. If it would log that info anyway, I don't know. I did save the three flight logs from the remote though.

I downloaded the flight logs, but can't really tell what's going on there. The telemetry log where the motors stopped shows 16.2V, it was using the GPS, with 17 satellites present. I am not sure what the values mean, but it shows the imu_status went from 97 then 225, but not sure that is when the motors stopped because the motor_status stayed at 255 through the entire 2 minute flight log. The altitude went from -.31 to 0.01 at this transition as well.

I was in attitude flight mode, with the landing gear down,many OBS off. The unit was approximately 20 feet away from me when this happened.

Based on the Justice department, you held the start/stop button, and then pressed the stop/start button again after it fell to the ground :) Hey, but that is dangerous. What if you had temporarily flown across something like a person or something. I guess that is why we are not suppose to fly over people.

That was my thought, however per part 107 you can fly over people if they are directly related to the shoot. Which means that if this happens again and does do damage, I am directly responsible for anyone getting hurt.

If anyone has any long time experience with the DJI Inspire, has there been occurrences of all 4 motors suddenly stopping mid air for no reason?

I was seriously thinking of looking more into the Inspire if they haven't had these types of problems. I am not sure I want to put my company and my finances at risk because of something like this happening that is completely out of my control. I can understand one motor failing, which is why I decided on the H because of the ability to return home with 5 operating motors. Maybe they can install an automatic parachute on such an event like the airplane manufacturer Cirrus has on the fleet. I may look into developing such a device.

Thanks guys for your feedback and advice.

That was my thought, however per part 107 you can fly over people if they are directly related to the shoot. Which means that if this happens again and does do damage, I am directly responsible for anyone getting hurt.

If anyone has any long time experience with the DJI Inspire, has there been occurrences of all 4 motors suddenly stopping mid air for no reason?

I was seriously thinking of looking more into the Inspire if they haven't had these types of problems. I am not sure I want to put my company and my finances at risk because of something like this happening that is completely out of my control. I can understand one motor failing, which is why I decided on the H because of the ability to return home with 5 operating motors. Maybe they can install an automatic parachute on such an event like the airplane manufacturer Cirrus has on the fleet. I may look into developing such a device.

Thanks guys for your feedback and advice.

I wonder if it is possible for someone to send enough interference to make the aircrafts receiver go haywire.

Neighbour has had his inspire drop into the ocean.
It is a known fault.
His battery said I'm sensing an unusual reading, I will protect myself from exploding by turning off.
No warning. It dropped like a freaking huge stone.
Luckily over water and not a crowd, as it would have killed them.

Guys, here is an update on my issue. I shipped my damaged H back to Yuneec and they received it on Thursday July 14th. I never heard anything from them so I called on July 20th asking for a status update. The person said that he doesn't see any tracking information and when was I going to send it. So I told him that they had it for a week now. He replied by telling me that the shipping department will hold onto the returned product for approximately 5 days before sending it to the repair department. Then it will take approximately 2-3 days for that department to get it into the rotation. I was getting a bit angry as to why the shipping department would hold onto it. He told me so that the repair department doesn't get overwhelmed with product. At this point, I was pretty furious and told him that I wanted my money back and multiple reasons why I should. He said that they don't give people refunds on warranty claims and I would have to talk with a supervisor. So he uploaded this information to his supervisor and she would call me to talk about this. Well later that evening I received an email from Yuneec saying that they have received my product. Three days later, on Friday July 22, I still haven't heard from the supervisor when I received an email saying that my order has been fulfilled and gave me a tracking number. So I called Yuneec today, July 22 to ask what is going on...all he told me was that it was repaired and it is being sent back to me. So I guess the product is at fault, and it wasn't anything I did, hence they repaired it at no cost to me. I asked this guy to tell me what was the issue, why did the motors just stop in mid air for no reason. He was going to have a tech email me the repair notes.

Bottom line, they are saying that they don't give out refunds period. I asked where it says that, and he couldn't tell me. So supposedly a supervisor is going to call me to discuss.

Has anyone received a refund on their faulty Yuneec product?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop