Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Moving the GPS and COMPASS MODULE.

Hard to please with esthetics. Once you’ve designed a Ferrari someone will like a pick up truck better. If you designed a pick up truck they’ll want a Lamborghini.

Then we run up against practicality. If sitting with your wife trying to answer which is better, more, less, or what’s available you will probably answer what’s available. She’ll probably think more but answer differently.

Reactions: Phaedrus
Wife getting to you @PatR? Seems to be using her more as an analogy when replying to posts. ????

Last edited:
Naw, just an easy example selection that doesn’t target an ethnic or gender preference group. Anyone that’s been married knows they will irritate or anger one periodically anyway, the only question is the tactic they’ll choose for retaliation. Where mine is concerned, after 46 years it’s been pretty well established she’s pretty easy to get along with and someone I would not want to be without.

Can you publish a link to the 3D printed files, maybe .stl files?

Thanks.

You need to read the thread and understand this is not an open source project. Johnno has spent time and money developing the tower to allow GPS flight in areas you would normally lose GPS and have to fly manually. He is not looking to get rich off of his invention, but he is also not inclined to give it away either.

Thank You DoomMeister,
I could not have put it any better Myself. Thank you all that have been commenting on this project since it started.
There are still some more things to do to our equipment for everyone to FEEL THAT THEY CAN TRUST THEIR MACHINE. We are going in the right direction. Keep all informed over the next two weeks as my work commitments have slowed down and I can put my time back into this project.
Again Tanking all that have been following this and my other THREADS. Keeping the H COOL.
Johnno Hennessy.
Keep Flying on the GREEN side of the GRASS.

Reactions: Dr Delta
Found this Video on YouTube. Its only $5

The guy that makes these is now printing these in Carbon Fiber and it is a nice color match to the TH, and a little lighter too.
He claims it raises the GPS/Compass module by about 1 inch, but still allows it to fit in the storage case/backpack without needing to remove the module.
It was designed because it is needed to use alternate batteries without getting compass calibration error messages.
The battery adapters (for the alternate batteries) he also makes, are a great item for allowing us to use low cost batteries.
If you buy the Battery Adapter the GPS Module is included "Free" with the Battery Adapter kit. $20

These are available on eBay.

$5 GPS Tower only
Yuneec Typhoon H GPS Tower Adapter Acquire Satellites Fast No More Compass Error

$20 Battery Adapter includes GPS Tower
XT90 Yuneec Typhoon H Battery Conversion Adapter 6300mah 8000mah Upgrade Kit
Ok guys. I got the whole battery conversion kit. Fast Shipping I got it in 2 days. Since I'm gonna be waiting for a set of 7500mah batteries from China...
I went ahead and installed the GPS Tower kit.
It was a easy install just like in the video. The only hard part was after I removed the 10 tiny screws I dropped one and had to lay on the floor to look for it.
With 3 full battery cycles of flights over the past few days... I never once got the old nagging warning to calibrate the compass. Before I used to need to deal with that all the time.
When I get the 7500mah batteries I'll be back to report how they do.
The battery adapter feels light and solid and includes the adapter to use the smaller batteries that I am waiting for. I'm tempted to buy 2 of the 6400mah batteries from newegg so I don't have to wait so long to test the battery adapter. But I'll be patient and wait.
I have read some of the comments saying this guy was copying the idea.
First many other drones have had these towers since a long time ago, so any GPS tower would be called a copy.
Second, it says in his eBay listing that he developed his to correct the compass problem that he says would get worse when using alternate batteries. He obviously is the main person who makes battery mods for the Q500 and the Typhoon H and some other promark drone. I'm pretty sure he didn't need the photos from this thread to make his design.
Third I bought his mod because I wanted one that I would not need to remove each time I put it back into the box. Many comments earlier in this thread were asking for a shorter mod and went unanswered. The guy is a developer doing a good job working on our drone. I plan to encourage any developer who will spend their time to improve our Typhoon H. And he is not looking to cash in if selling for so cheap. Check his eBay feedback many happy people for his mods. If the batteries work good I'll be adding more positive feedback also.
Fourth, he is not from China. The package came from Iowa and you can tell from the YouTube video he speaks English with an Iowan accent. Lol
Also thank you John Hennessy for your work also. I encourage everyone to help further the development of our Typhoon H.

Last edited:
Start this off with a very big Sorry to JH... Got the tower months back and up to now I still haven't installed it yet... Too busy with work and life... Heck, I last flown the H November 26th, and haven't touched her again, just the Batts to monitor their storage levels... I promised JH a review, well guess it has to wait a little more... Still can't find 2 nonstop hours to dissect the H with being bothered by the kid, the wife, the staff, the patients, the dogs, the bill collectors, etc etc etc hehehe

Short vacation this weekend, but guess what. The resort is 3kms from the airport :/

I miss flying.
d86ed0d95459d17e8f1834627851368f.jpg

Last edited:
Just an FYI, the capacity of a battery has no effect on a compass. The only way it could affect the compass would be if it was closer to the compass, and if it was closer and had an effect the compass would have been improperly located to begin with.

The latter is quite possible as the introduction of sleek consumer drones has placed form and fit over function, where in earlier days function held priority with form and fit being adaptable.

I'm still waiting to hear results of the tall tower...
How does the wind affect performance such as, flight charateristics and flight time?

Ok guys. I got the whole battery conversion kit. Fast Shipping I got it in 2 days. Since I'm gonna be waiting for a set of 7500mah batteries from China...
It was a easy install just like in the video. The only hard part was after I removed the 10 tiny screws I dropped one and had to lay on the floor to look for it.
With 3 full battery cycles of flights over the past few days... I never once got the old nagging warning to calibrate the compass. Before I used to need to deal with that all the time.
The battery adapter feels light and solid and includes the adapter to use the smaller batteries that I am waiting for. I'm tempted to buy 2 of the 6400mah batteries from newegg so I don't have to wait so long to test the battery adapter. But I'll be patient and wait.
First many other drones have had these towers since a long time ago, so any GPS tower would be called a copy.
Second, it says in his eBay listing that he developed his to correct the compass problem that he says would get worse when using alternate batteries. He obviously is the main person who makes battery mods for the Q500 and the Typhoon H and some other promark drone. I'm pretty sure he didn't need the photos from this thread to make his design.
Third I bought his mod because I wanted one that I would not need to remove each time I put it back into the box. Many comments earlier in this thread were asking for a shorter mod and went unanswered. The guy is a developer doing a good job working on our drone. I plan to encourage any developer who will spend their time to improve our Typhoon H. And he is not looking to cash in if selling for so cheap. Check his eBay feedback many happy people for his mods. If the batteries work good I'll be adding more positive feedback also.
Fourth, he is not from China. The package came from Iowa and you can tell from the YouTube video he speaks English with an Iowan accent. Lol
Also thank you John Hennessy for your work also. I encourage everyone to help further the development of our Typhoon H.
Hi Drone Addict,
Thank you for your recognizing some of my work, but I wished that he would have called it some thing other than the TOWER as I have been using that from the start. It seems like he is cashing in on the word that I chose , bec
[
Hi Drone Addict,
Thank you for your recognition of my work so far. But there a few things that are incorrect in the above statement.
I don't know how long you have been in this industry or sport but they HAVE NEVER BEEN DESCRIBED AS TOWERS, mostly GPS MASTS or GPS ANTENNAE but never TOWERS. This is from my own research. As far as I am concerned this Person has stolen my NAMEING of my PRODUCT to gain access to my possible customers through the use of the word TOWER. I am not that COMPUTER LITERATE or ILLITERATE that I don't know that by having TOWER in his DIALOGUE that will bring his site up on any search engine, and of course being cheaper that is a given as to the purchase of who's the product it shall be.
The reason that he had the COMPASS errors was because he is running his connector cables for the battery power too close to the COMPASS and GPS module, he should have been using another type of battery conversion that has all the connections in the front as per the ORIGINAL, that is why it is designed that way ( as you draw more current the higher the interference will be going very close to the MODULE. (I will post a photo of a System that I have been working on to try and put LITHIUM-ION batteries in the H so that we can get away from LIPO'S and their instability.
I am not very good with computers and posting photos so be patient with me as I will post the battery converter sometime today.
But you will not CHANGE MY OPINION that the USE of the word TOWER was DELIBERATE and CALCULATED, Looking at it, there is no mast to lift it from the body, it is stuck on the back of the H,also for him to move it HIGHER he would need an EXTENTION LEAD of which he does not have and that is another reason why my system will work better. I have experimented with OVER 24 DIFFERENT heights and SIZES for the TOWER and the PRESENT SIZES give the VERY BEST RESULTS sofar
My attachment Block for the TOWER is lower than the other one that we are discussing and from my research and use of my SYSTEM on planes, it will not fit in the overhead luggage Rack as mine just barely gets there as it is now.
I hope that the people buying this MOD understand that the battery mod will give HOPEFULLY longer flight time and this in the long term more HEAT build up inside of the 'H' and this is EXACTLY why I have made mine with a FAN.
As all of the ELECTRONIC'S people keep saying HEAT is the KILLER in our SMALL MACHINES.
We have a great MACHINE and I am TRYING to make it SAFER and me not rich.
So that off the CHEST I am moving forward with all of my IMPROVEMENTS and will be bringing more to the FORUM.
Don't take this personally as it is just an explanation of my thoughts.
John (Johnno ) Hennessy.
Keep Flyinf on the GREEN SIDE of the GRASS.

Reactions: ronrod68
Hi All and Ronrod68,
If you would to see the NEW FAN TOWER, go to the named thread of
'New GPS TOWER keeping the H cool' on post 12 there is a YouTube video to .
It was some time ago but it is now in full production with the orders at
www. uneekideaz.com . I am having the price ing changed soon as the cost of the is high( quality brand) and can not be carried .. You can purchase with or without the fan,without still gives you about
375 mm Sq of additional ventilation , with fan this will be sacking out approx 1.5 to 1.9 CFM of air depending battery charge,minimum of 1.5 cfm at 3. 6 volts.
Johnno Hennessy.
keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Hi All and Ronrod68,
If you would to see the NEW FAN TOWER, go to the named thread of
'New GPS TOWER keeping the H cool' on post 12 there is a YouTube video to .
It was some time ago but it is now in full production with the orders at
www. uneekideaz.com . I am having the price ing changed soon as the cost of the is high( quality brand) and can not be carried .. You can purchase with or without the fan,without still gives you about
375 mm Sq of additional ventilation , with fan this will be sacking out approx 1.5 to 1.9 CFM of air depending battery charge,minimum of 1.5 cfm at 3. 6 volts.
Johnno Hennessy.
keep flying on the green side of the grass.
I am sorry, I was replying to Phaedrus. You are so correct about the heat. You must have some electronics experience. Johnno Hennessy

Nothing like the feeling you have when your million $ UAV sat on the taxi way too long on a 120* day and heat soaked the avionics, scrubbing the flight that could have saved a few lives had it been able to get on station.

Nothing like the feeling you have when your million $ UAV sat on the taxi way too long on a 120* day and heat soaked the avionics, scrubbing the flight that could have saved a few lives had it been able to get on station.

And that is military grade stuff. If heat bakes that, imagine what it can do to our stuff. Of course, being the weinie I am I have set personal operational limits of between 70 and 76 degrees. I like to be a comft pilot ?

And that is military grade stuff. If heat bakes that, imagine what it can do to our stuff. Of course, being the weinie I am I have set personal operational limits of between 70 and 76 degrees. I like to be a comft pilot ?
Phaedrus,
AT our genteel age we can choose to fly to at what temperature we like,unless it is work related then it is good to know that our machines can complete the job.
Johnno Hennessy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval