Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Moving the GPS and COMPASS MODULE.

Pardon my ignorance, is the height of the tower significant? If you are mainly trying to get the GPS/compass module out of the hot cowling, the tower could be much shorter, or not at all. Just stick it to the top.

I was more curious if it was known to be the same/compatible GPS module as it appears to be. If so the questions you ask wouldn't be much different than the OP's moving the GPS to a 3d printed tower as done above. I'm sure it would have some effect on center of gravity however the drone seems more than capable of adjusting. If it provided better GPS and Compass input and at least minimized the constant compass errors it would be a trade off I am willing to make.

If this is a compatible module it means its just an off the shelf approach to what the OP had done which is worth the $80 to me.
Hi mrchris,
I tried to find out about these modules about 14 to 16 months ago for what I was trying to achieve and what information I received was that they are a 4 or 5 pin connectors not a 6 pin ike the 480 ,520 and H plus. They are the older gps reciever in the ublox range and don't seem to communicate with ours. I have tried a modified 520 and H plus module also to suit with different add on software and they don't work. The best that I have achieved in constantly testing mine in the time since early 2018 is what I have now and the new one coming out soon with the fan that shifts 1.9 cfm of HOT AIR OUT OF the H . If you by chance get this one to work for you I would be very interested how you achieved
it. Just because I have done it one way does not mean that there isn't a better one and that is why I keep looking at different things. I have made 24 different height towers to see what improvements I get with the results and the one that I sell gives the optimum performance. I am still heavily testing the fan version with very good results so far. I hope that this helps and hopefully between the two of us we can eliminate our problems. There is also another thread with a different wording and also
Keeping the H cool in those you will read that I have not had one compass error or gps error since I made and adapted my first tower. Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Reactions: Dr Delta
Hi Rubik,
I have experimented with about 24 different heights of the tower and the one that I have now give optimum performance. I seem to have found the SWEET SPOT for the height and now with my fan mods that I am still testing I am achieving better results than what I have to date. The fan mods will be retro fitting with most of the present UNEEK IDEAZ TOWER. It is not far away as getting the components is very hard but we are getting there. Sorry about the time delays but some of it is out of my control. I will keep all informed and new tests when the new fan tower is ready.
Thanks for your interest . Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Found this Video on YouTube. Its only $5

The guy that makes these is now printing these in Carbon Fiber and it is a nice color match to the TH, and a little lighter too.
He claims it raises the GPS/Compass module by about 1 inch, but still allows it to fit in the storage case/backpack without needing to remove the module.
It was designed because it is needed to use alternate batteries without getting compass calibration error messages.
The battery adapters (for the alternate batteries) he also makes, are a great item for allowing us to use low cost batteries.
If you buy the Battery Adapter the GPS Module is included "Free" with the Battery Adapter kit. $20

These are available on eBay.

$5 GPS Tower only
Yuneec Typhoon H GPS Tower Adapter Acquire Satellites Fast No More Compass Error

$20 Battery Adapter includes GPS Tower
XT90 Yuneec Typhoon H Battery Conversion Adapter 6300mah 8000mah Upgrade Kit

Found this Video on YouTube. Its only $5

The guy that makes these is now printing these in Carbon Fiber and it is a nice color match to the TH, and a little lighter too.
He claims it raises the GPS/Compass module by about 1 inch, but still allows it to fit in the storage case/backpack without needing to remove the module.
It was designed because it is needed to use alternate batteries without getting compass calibration error messages.
The battery adapters (for the alternate batteries) he also makes, are a great item for allowing us to use low cost batteries.
If you buy the Battery Adapter the GPS Module is included "Free" with the Battery Adapter kit. $20

These are available on eBay.

$5 GPS Tower only
Yuneec Typhoon H GPS Tower Adapter Acquire Satellites Fast No More Compass Error

$20 Battery Adapter includes GPS Tower
XT90 Yuneec Typhoon H Battery Conversion Adapter 6300mah 8000mah Upgrade Kit

I wanna see a field report, but his idea does make a whole lot of sense. Wait, forget the field report, I just bought the compass relocation module. I have been search for one.

Reactions: shockazulu
When you get your GPS mod could you please do the whole field report thing. I already bought mine to but I'm horrible with the testing. Ill or it on and use it but I'm never good at the comparison testing stuff.

I'm buying the hole thing with the battery adapter. The sellers feedback looks great for all the other mods he sells. I'm gonna have to wait 24 days to get the batteries I want. slow China shipping. 7500mah and lighter than the stock 5400mah and the price is only 2 for $86. That's $43 each. Slow China shipping is the only bad part. But I'm gonna throw the GPS mod on right away.
please please post your field data...
Yea, let me know what results you have, including battery change out.
Thanks.

Yea, let me know what results you have, including battery change out.
Thanks.

I have been looking for a case module and this is my answer. I will not be doing the battery mod. so to not to complicate things.

I would just like to say that it is very cheap and that you should read the beginning of the threads associated with the RELOCATION of the MODULE and KEEPING the H COOL and the effect that CARBON FIBER has on signals. It is coming true what PatR said in the early DAYS of this, everybody will start doing KNOCK-OFFS and not know what they are doing and this is the case. It is not a TOWER but a blob to cover the moving of the MODULE out of the BODY, he can't move it higher because he is unable to acquire the Yuneec connectors for the lifting and is just using the std one and stretching it. It does not offer ventilation as such, no temperature figures, no extra copper shielding, as Phaedrus said only yesterday that the cooler the electronics run the more accurate it is.
I have had a PROPER TOWER installed on my TWO Typhoon H 480's since January in 2018 and I have been modifying and changing them ever since for ULTIMUM PERFORMANCE and MOST IMPORTANTLY SAFETY for BOTH THE PUBLIC and MOST IMPORTANTLY YOUR YUNEEC PRODUCT. I have now got a fan forced model that shifts 1.5 to 1.9 CFM of HOT air out of the INNER BODY of the H.
These have been in test for 3 months and are ready for release.
A word of warning HOW MUCH IS YOUR H WORTH to experiment with a $5 part.
Be very careful about what you buy. and hopefully, it may turn out good.
Johnno Hennessy.
Keep Flying on the Green Side of the GRASS.

Johnno,

That an attempt to copy and market your concept and product is being made is indicative of how well yours works. If yours did not work the copy shops would not have bothered with it. But they are leaving a critical part of your design out of theirs to reduce production cost; the tower, which is about 65% of your performance improvement. Heat has always been a critical factor with electronic assemblies.

3DR found that out the hard way with the original Solo release, stuffing the GPS unit tightly inside the Solo. Numerous failures caused 3DR to develop and install additional shielding in hopes of reducing failures, which was not as effective as they hoped. They ended up replacing the unit with one more heat resistant while also using the additional shielding.

The copy shops don’t care if their product is effective, they only care that it sells and priced low enough it will sell as consumers shop price before all else. In this case the copy shop has virtually no development or testing costs associated with their product. You did all that work for them. They really don’t have a significant production cost as all they’ve done is printed a new cover for the GPS unit.

As for someone trying to copy your work and under cut you, I wish I could not say “told ya so” but it’s how Chinese manufacturing works, and although it’s quite easy to name hobby products that have been copied and low ball marketed the practice is not limited to the hobby industry and easily predicted. The up side is as their product fails to perform as the buyers hope, after a few crashed airframes occur their customers will again look to you again.

Last edited:
I would just like to say that it is very cheap and that you should read the beginning of the threads associated with the RELOCATION of the MODULE and KEEPING the H COOL and the effect that CARBON FIBER has on signals. It is coming true what PatR said in the early DAYS of this, everybody will start doing KNOCK-OFFS and not know what they are doing and this is the case. It is not a TOWER but a blob to cover the moving of the MODULE out of the BODY, he can't move it higher because he is unable to acquire the Yuneec connectors for the lifting and is just using the std one and stretching it. It does not offer ventilation as such, no temperature figures, no extra copper shielding, as Phaedrus said only yesterday that the cooler the electronics run the more accurate it is.
I have had a PROPER TOWER installed on my TWO Typhoon H 480's since January in 2018 and I have been modifying and changing them ever since for ULTIMUM PERFORMANCE and MOST IMPORTANTLY SAFETY for BOTH THE PUBLIC and MOST IMPORTANTLY YOUR YUNEEC PRODUCT. I have now got a fan forced model that shifts 1.5 to 1.9 CFM of HOT air out of the INNER BODY of the H.
These have been in test for 3 months and are ready for release.
A word of warning HOW MUCH IS YOUR H WORTH to experiment with a $5 part.
Be very careful about what you buy. and hopefully, it may turn out good.
Johnno Hennessy.
Keep Flying on the Green Side of the GRASS.
Are you selling this setup yet John?

Mine is on the way from Johnno. When time permits and the weather here doesn't suck I will give it a test and let Johnno know how it went for me.

FWIW I'm longing for a sunny day with no rain that is also reasonably warm. So far 2019 has sucked weather wise for me.

Reactions: ronrod68
I have not had any problems with my H again I bought from copter.eu in Germany so perhaps that's why it's a EU model or just a good H how easy is it to do this if I was going to

Yes ronrod 68,
The new Tower with or without the fan is available, the Webb site has not yet been changed to include the fan yet but the new TOWER set up is produced to take the fan at any time. My site is uneekideaz.com, you should be able to go from there. The new price frame should be up by the end of the week and at the end of the next week, we will cater for the 520 and the Hplus as I now have stock of the connectors. This will make RPR very happy ( finally, it is a slow boat from CHINA for Parts Especially genuine ).
I hope that this answers your question ronrod68.
You can contact me through that site if anybody wishes.
John ( Johnno ) Hennessy.
keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Patr,
I can handle the 'I TOLD YOU SO', they only copy the good stuff and they also steal your paragraphs and lines but as for an AMERICAN site, they have a very Chinese vocabulary.
Johnno.

So yours is the tall one and the short one is the knock off. I agree about carbon fiber. I was that and went "Huh!?!" CF and GPS signals do not play well. CF and 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz RF do not play well either.

Stupid question. Does yours disconnect for storage in a case? (sorry if I missed this)

So yours is the tall one and the short one is the knock off. I agree about carbon fiber. I was that and went "Huh!?!" CF and GPS signals do not play well. CF and 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz RF do not play well either.

Stupid question. Does yours disconnect for storage in a case? (sorry if I missed this)

I shortened it. I did not like the tower look, and I too was concerning about fitting it inside the backpack. I am a minimalist and I like fluid designs, this mod is not perfect there are some things that bothers me aesthetically. In the past, I've bought other housings, but this is by far the best fit (for now). I plan to add a heatsink in mine in the future.

I hope Yuneec is listening and can produce an upgraded canopy, where the compass is relocated away from other components.

Reactions: Phaedrus and AH-1G
I agree, the tower aesthetically looks bad, it may accomplish what it's intended to do, but....?
How does it performs in higher winds, and/at the same time how much less flight time do I have?
The low profile can easily fixed for ventilation.
@John Hennessy
Design both, tall tower and low profile, give people options.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaedrus

Yes Phaedrus,
My TOWER is a TOWER, and the cooling fan is an extra idea that has really put the icing on the cake , so to speak. You are correct about c.f. ,although RPR has achieved more solid connectivity my TOWER will give him more satellites,of that I am sure. The fan move 1.5 to 1.9 c.f.m of air through the H helping to keep the inside a lot cooler. Now with the fan we are now offering all colours as on my site. We are doing tests with the fan and colours and heat transfer and residual heat in the body of the TOWER . These are all on the site
uneekideaz.com . My new figures should be finished in two weeks time and be on the site along with actual temps from inside of the shell in all 3 forms, Std shell, Std TOWER , FAN TOWER. I hope that helps and the TOWER is removable and it all fits inside of the std back pack.
Regards
Johnno Hennessy.

Reactions: Phaedrus

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval