Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Moving the GPS and COMPASS MODULE.

This is the battery hack that I have been working on for a while. I am trying to get Lithium - Ion cells to work but I have been successfully in only achieving 8 minutes of flight before low voltage kicks in . If I could lower that internal computer down to 3.2 volts per cell, which li-ion can handle, they don't have cells with high enough draw for take off and full acceleration. But I keep looking at new stuff, ceramic cells from Japan University are coming up well for being able to handle large draws and pick up quick when the pedal is lifted. The hack below has been around for quite a time (2 yrs) and it is very good as it has the catch first the H and a pull out tab on the bottom to grip it. It is for a hi - vl lipo of about 8000mah which the originator said was giving him 30 minutes of flight time. All well and good but will the internals and motors take the extra work load and heat generated. Because the connections are like the standard battery it does not interfere with the compass module. I hope that this down loads for all of you to see. Johnno Hennessy

Attachments

• 20190315_191208.jpg
    20190315_191208.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • 20190315_191146.jpg
    20190315_191146.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • 20190315_191139.jpg
    20190315_191139.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Reactions: Andrew Grant
Phaedrus,
AT our genteel age we can choose to fly to at what temperature we like,unless it is work related then it is good to know that our machines can complete the job.
Johnno Hennessy.

We can agree on that!! But there is no force on Earth that can convince me that Vegemite tastes good ?

Hi Drone Addict,
Thank you for your recognition of my work so far. But there a few things that are incorrect in the above statement.
I don't know how long you have been in this industry or sport but they HAVE NEVER BEEN DESCRIBED AS TOWERS, mostly GPS MASTS or GPS ANTENNAE but never TOWERS. This is from my own research. As far as I am concerned this Person has stolen my NAMEING of my PRODUCT to gain access to my possible customers through the use of the word TOWER.

I didn't want to ask that we stop slamming the developers only to have more accusations even coming from a developer.
Incorrect accusations at that.
I did a quick research to see if indeed you "J Hensley" were the one who came up with the naming of the GPS Tower.

Number one.... John Hensley, NO you did not come up with the name GPS Tower.
You are being a little bit paranoid.
Fact Check.... Go to Thingiverse.com search GPS Tower. You will see many GPS Towers dating back to 2014.
This evidently was a term they used in the world of custom built drones.
So maybe "he" the guy who makes battery adapters, stole the name from "deano_atv" who was using the words you claim as your own long before you came here and started this thread.
Maybe "he" made the adapter and went looking for the name of it.
The words possibly first used by "deano_atv from Thingiverse" who may have been the first back in 2014.
I have only done this one little search so I do not claim to know for sure who came up with the name but I do know for sure it was not J Hensley.

Please do real research before you claim to be the first person to do something.
Please do real research before you accuse someone of copying something.
We do need to use the same words when talking to one another about our hobby and when using these words we cant get all hung up on who was the first to use the word combination to describe something.

I do not know exactly where the Battery guy got his idea from, but I can give him the benefit of the doubt that he did or would have come up with this on his own due to the problem he had to solve with his own unrelated battery Mod.
In fact he included it free with his battery adapters and that should show his intent was not to steal anything.
The fact that he decided to sell if for $5 or $7 is simple as he says in his battery listing. "once you install it you will never want to fly without it again"

For your own battery mod you are working on you may want to fallow the research the battery guy has already done. You do not want to use the battery adapter you have shown in the photo. I have used this one and it caused a crash due to it creating all the weight further back on the tail end. Remember with that older version the connectors etc all have to fit up inside in front of the battery adapter. You will also notice that adapter had to be made much longer and your 8000mah battery will line up with the very back of that extended adapter. Also notice all the wasted space in the front of that adapter where the connectors and wires are located. Now check the balance of your drone.... Way off balance. The reason the battery guy chose to have the connector on the outside was so he could get the actual weight of the battery as far forward as possible. Using the adapter you have shown caused me a crash because I simply went forward than backward and with it so tail heavy my H flipped backwards and crashed. If I wasn't so low to the ground it may have had time to recover. But the crash cost me $ for sure and that old style adapter will never be used again. I would not even give that adapter to someone else because I know that it has that serous balance flaw And this is why I believe the adapter made by the battery guy will be so much better than the old version you have shown in your post. I was so frustrated I even sold my 8000mah battery that I now wish I had kept since it would have fit perfectly in the new balanced adapter I now have. While I wait for my new 7500mah batteries to arrive from China.

Finally, short as his Tower is, it is a Tower (it raises the GPS module up above the drone) and it fits very very well inside the backpack.
You will notice every MOD he makes allows the H to fit into the backpack.
In fact he just listed a new Night Vision MOD for the CGO3 and CGO3+ cameras and you will notice he took special care to make sure the System for the H's CGO3+ would use 2 smaller 1.5w lights instead of a single 3w he used for the Q500 so it would fit into the back pack as well.

If it were a problem getting it into an overhead storage in an airplane, I will simply pop it off at the airport, and when I arrive I will simply add 2 new pieces of molding tape once I arrive at my destination. I don't plan on taking it on a plane that much. But, I like that when I am not transporting it in its backpack I can just leave it on and not have to have one more thing to do each time I put it into and take it out of the backpack. I don't even have the batteries from China yet but I am really enjoying his simple GPS adapter that was included for free with my adapter purchase.

I didn't come here to defend this eBay seller. In fact I am happy to have him and you using your time to further improve my experience. I do wish we could be civilized and help each other to improve our experience with this hobby. and not think everyone is out to capitalize on the ideas we may have.

Perhaps you could just search this seller and ask him for yourself "Where did he find the name for his MOD"

Last edited:
We can agree on that!! But there is no force on Earth that can convince me that Vegemite tastes good [emoji2957]

+500! I was sentenced to using that stuff in Afghanistan. That stuff is one of the best ways I know of to ruin a meal. Then again, we have to consider the problems with obtaining butter from sheep...

Reactions: Phaedrus
Johnno,

I think you’ll find that our drones use an RC receiver very similar in basic design and voltage requirements as those used in general RC modeling. Only the form has been changed to fit board designs. 4V-3.8V is about the lowest voltage they will function at. Below that they experience “brown outs” and everything comes falling down.

I have received the mast mod kit from @John Hennessy. His documentation, directions, video and stills make it look like a project that anyone who knows which end of a screw driver to hold would likely have no trouble installing.

Due to my schedule over the next few weeks I won't be able to post videos or detail my experiences for a while.

Johnno has been working on this for quite a while and sharing some of his progress here in the forums and continually improving his design. I've seen a short video from Johnno of his TH480 in flight but it wasn't extensive. I have faith in Johnno though.

Keep in mind that Johhno did NOT set out to make money off his mast kit. It started out that he created it for his own benefit to improve the TH480s that he uses for his business. I was interested in improving the performance of my TH480 compass after a couple of flyaways and replacing a compass and told him so. I believe others did as well. He is NOT asking for an outrageous sum of money for his mast/tower kit.

Reactions: Thomas111
Still waiting for flight characteristics and flight time with the "GPS Tower" mounted????
I myself have field tested the short $7 setup.
I absolutely love it. My first actual time from turning on to GPS lock ready to take off was 30 seconds. I couldn't believe and thought I must have missed a minute or something. When I tried to duplicate the test the next time it was 10 seconds. So now I don't know if I'm doing the test right, since it used to take well over 2 minutes, and sometimes it could take much longer.

Here is another thread where the guy purchased and tested the $7 mod. He says it is like night and day. Plus he totally customised the mod too blend into the shell. It's the coolest looking H I have seen. The guy is a cosmetic genius.

But now confirmed from the new thread above, this little mod works excellent.

Tested in known areas for gps errors and passed with flying colors.
And looks cool for sure.
Couldn't cause much effect when flying in the wind also. So not to sure how to even test that. Also almost no weight added so battery life shouldn't change.
I don't have the tall tower version to test the effects of wind on it. Not mentioned is if all the extra wiring added to the other tall kit and the metal connecting bolts might make that version not only heavy but may lose some of its gains by bringing more interference.
The $7 version doesn't add an extension cord wire out and metal attachment parts.
Haven't seen it mentioned but without needing an adapter extension cord for the $7 version it will work on any version of the H. 480 or 520
I think simple is gonna win in this face off.

So far my testing $7 eBay mod Thumbs up.
Testing $7 eBay mod on the other thread. Also thumbs up.

Reactions: ronrod68
I myself have field tested the short $7 setup.
I absolutely love it. My first actual time from turning on to GPS lock ready to take off was 30 seconds. I couldn't believe and thought I must have missed a minute or something. When I tried to duplicate the test the next time it was 10 seconds. So now I don't know if I'm doing the test right, since it used to take well over 2 minutes, and sometimes it could take much longer.

Here is another thread where the guy purchased and tested the $7 mod. He says it is like night and day. Plus he totally customised the mod too blend into the shell. It's the coolest looking H I have seen. The guy is a cosmetic genius.

But now confirmed from the new thread above, this little mod works excellent.

Tested in known areas for gps errors and passed with flying colors.
And looks cool for sure.
Couldn't cause much effect when flying in the wind also. So not to sure how to even test that. Also almost no weight added so battery life shouldn't change.
I don't have the tall tower version to test the effects of wind on it. Not mentioned is if all the extra wiring added to the other tall kit and the metal connecting bolts might make that version not only heavy but may lose some of its gains by bringing more interference.
The $7 version doesn't add an extension cord wire out and metal attachment parts.
Haven't seen it mentioned but without needing an adapter extension cord for the $7 version it will work on any version of the H. 480 or 520
I think simple is gonna win in this face off.

So far my testing $7 eBay mod Thumbs up.
Testing $7 eBay mod on the other thread. Also thumbs up.
Thanks for the post. I am anxious to install mine but I have been busy working on my kitchen.
I will test it with and without the battery adapter that is from the same seller and let you all know if I have the same results. What's the worst that can happen? lol
I went with the 8000mah battery listed in his testing description.

@Drone Addict, your post above actually proves that Johnno is not particularly looking to turn his adaptation into a significant financial venture... if he was, all the points you made above would have been already researched for him by his trademark/patent attorney.

@Drone Addict a real good test will come when you see how well it works in high temperatures. I have no idea where you live but here in the Carolinas 95F summer days aren't unusual. Johnno's mast with the fan should help in hot weather.

I'm not knocking the $7 setup I'm just wondering how it works in the heat. That's when I've had my issues with the GPS on my TH480s.

@Drone Addict a real good test will come when you see how well it works in high temperatures. I have no idea where you live but here in the Carolinas 95F summer days aren't unusual. Johnno's mast with the fan should help in hot weather.

I'm not knocking the $7 setup I'm just wondering how it works in the heat. That's when I've had my issues with the GPS on my TH480s.
I was thinking ahead on that. If the heat issue come from the gps module... I will drill holes all around the bottom edges and sides of the $7 part. I don't want to mess with the mirror finish on the top cap though. I don't believe the gps module will even get hot on its own though. Thinking of my phone always running gps and not getting hot. I bet the heat comes from inside the drone and heats up the gps module that was all crammed together inside. So now that my gps module is out of the inside of the drone and under the airflow of the propellers all should be fixed. Time will tell. For today I am happy. If the issues come back in the summer I have faith they will be solved. Science on my side and only out $7 if I'm wrong. Lol

Reactions: ewee1952
I was thinking ahead on that. If the heat issue come from the gps module... I will drill holes all around the bottom edges and sides of the $7 part. I don't want to mess with the mirror finish on the top cap though. I don't believe the gps module will even get hot on its own though. Thinking of my phone always running gps and not getting hot. I bet the heat comes from inside the drone and heats up the gps module that was all crammed together inside. So now that my gps module is out of the inside of the drone and under the airflow of the propellers all should be fixed. Time will tell. For today I am happy. If the issues come back in the summer I have faith they will be solved. Science on my side and only out $7 if I'm wrong. Lol

NO, there is an easy to create a vent, and you will discover this once you have the module in front of you and with high industry double sided tape in hand (get the grey tape and raise it up) It does not take a lot to cool the GPS/Compass unit, and during a hot summer day, the wind is just moving hot air around.

Installed the shorty gps mount and although It did not acquire any quicker than pre-install, I received zero compass errors.
This was with a standard battery inserted.
It was getting a bit too windy for comfort so I packed up prior to testing with the battery adapter and larger battery inserted.

Reactions: John Hennessy
I have watched this thread for a while now but have to say it's nearly over a year now I have had my H-pro am in the UK and bought from copter.eu in Germany I have not had any problems with mine the only warnings was to tell me to calibrate the compass due to not flying for just over 3 months so could it be something to do with the satellites that you guys use in the states as we use different ones I believe

Installed the shorty gps mount and although It did not acquire any quicker than pre-install, I received zero compass errors.
This was with a standard battery inserted.
It was getting a bit too windy for comfort so I packed up prior to testing with the battery adapter and larger battery inserted.
Hi Rorod68,.
I would strongly suggest that you do some research into the opponents of the battery adapter, as friend of mine that I fly with in a small club of 10 people came to me to help him install the small adapter stand and battery adapter. All of the adapter well printed I can not say that the adapter is of the same standard. First thing that I noticed was the small diameter of the lead wire coming from the rear to the front. This is for ALL MEMBERS TO BE AWARE THAT THE WIRE IS RATED AT 15 AMPS
MAX,( manufacturers spec sheet in photo). As I said before the reason that Mr Ricky Smith was getting COMPASS ERRORS was because he is using wire that is insufficient to do the job, (photo of standard battery leads on the H) and it is not silicone wrapped to supprest EI. He has used 19 strand non coated copper wire rated at 15 AMPS MAX. The ESC's on the H are 25 AMP for each Motor, multiply x 6 and that is a MAX DRAW of 150 AMPS?. Although it could be for only a short time, if it is to give you longer flight times then you may have the problem of much current draw which will cause èxcessive heat and possibly cause the terminal wires o become very, very, very hot and connect.
THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS PROBLEM IF YOU SHOULD CHOOSE TO USE IT???.
I have been VERY PUBLICLY HUMILIATED IN THIS FORUM AND THREAD ABOUT NOT DOING MY ŔESEARCH BY THE PERSON PUSHING THESE MODS ( Mr Drone Addict ) ? . He should now declared his hand in all òf this,,saying that I was not the FIRST to call my modified a TOWER and he cited
Thingiverse (open source free designs) as an example. So Drone Addict I paid a government department here in Australia to register my design ( not a Patent, too costly to enforce) this took them 6 months to confirm my design registration and now it is 2 months into possibly 5 other countries.
I will leave it to the error members with far more knowledge than me to verify the dangers of using to his mod.
As for the GPS Compass Module STAND, and I STRESS the word STAND as this is the DESCRIPTION that is used by Mr Ricky Smith in his instalation video.
In this I noted that it was put to AIR on YouTube on the 27 th of February and you joined the Typhoon H forum on the 5 th of March, seems very co-incidental to me , but maybe I am the suspicious type.
Next you mention fixing screws and connections ,trying to raise doubts about possible interference, well that won't as the fixings are non metallic or carbon fibre and the lead extender is manufactured by an reputable electronics company that have facilities on five continents. The connector terminal is further away from the GPS MODUL than when using the RICK'S STAND by approximately 40 mm, therè by making the possibility of E I even less than the STAND.
How ever just some quick tests today with satellite detection the STAND was about 2 to 3 Satelittes dropping out more that mine. But with no work over the next week , I will with the help of my mate that does the video and computer stuff I will post a video of this , also a temperature that will astound every , especially RPR and several othere's that have been on the side lines. The temps for the STAND were the same as the position of the standard H and on pared to the other two that I offer we ere talking a big amount of degrees C. The biggest was the it took for the C F STAND to cool back down to room temperature as quick as the others, this more than likely being the sheer density of the C F.
I will so post some photos about the quality of the print especially where the GPS MODULE is to mount.
Always as before I will post the video of my and will make them quick as you all know the omputers and and myself nth on each other's Xmas card list.
Also another important thing that Drone Addict need's to do so WHEN YOU TRY TO ASSASSINATE A PERSONS CHARACTER, PLEASE GET THERE NAME CORRECT.
John (johnno) Hennessy.
keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Attachments

• 20190324_113258.jpg
    20190324_113258.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 20190324_113423.jpg
    20190324_113423.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
Reactions: ronrod68
@Drone Addict, your post above actually proves that Johnno is not particularly looking to turn his adaptation into a significant financial venture... if he was, all the points you made above would have been already researched for him by his trademark/patent attorney.
Thanks You Eagle's Eye Video,
I have a registered design in Australia and progressing to 5 other countries. For small fee the Government do all of the searching for you long as your product is accepted by the evaluation committee. It is a slow process but very thorough, they suggested design registration over a Patent as the Patent is vary costly to enforce, but Thingiverse is open design and you have no controlled over your product. Johnno Hennessy.

It is very good to hear that you are addressing these issues with the necessary professionals... I still think that your background has served you well in this endeavor, and I look forward to seeing it developed to it's full potential... maybe one of these days, I'll get an aircraft to have this installed on. :)

I'm still waiting to hear results of the tall tower...
How does the wind affect performance such as, flight charateristics and flight time?
Hi AH-1G,
I would be glad to post some test results but what do you suggest. I have been using two of modified H 's in my business for well over 12 months now and I am not aware of any flight time decreases or any flight problems, I still fly in 25 mph winds when fishing and when we do tight jobs between buildings sometimes you get the vortisy or wind Nelly effect and all of the H 's have a perfect accident report with CASA.I fly approximately 4 batteries day 5 days a week and have not had a error nore a problem . They fly absolutely fantastic and I have b solute confidence flying in very close quarters to all types of buildings and structures. I will be putting up some ideas soon so keep tuned, all of my subject are thoroughly tested as I don't want any crashes on my conscience or solicitors letters or threats to sue s I have too much to loose at is stage f my life. Johnno Hennessy.

Hard to follow all that, but one point I'd like to make is it is not correct to assume six x 25 amp ESCs implies a possible 150 amp load total. The motors are wired in a parallel circuit where all the motors see the same (roughly) line voltage and the total system current is shared by each motor.

Think about it another way, if it really was possible to pull 150 amps (6x25) the battery would last a couple of minutes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval