Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New buyer wondering about flight restrictions

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am considering buying a yuneec typhoon h and I was wondering about the flight restrictions on it. I have only ever owned cheaper drones before, nothing big with gps or anything like this. I know there’s like A 5 mile restriction from airports but I thought I read somewhere that it won’t let you fly near schools as well. I live probably between 1/2 mile and a mile from a school and I don’t want to buy it and then not be able to use at home. Thanks for any help!

Never heard of it restricting you from schools , I know dji products are tighter

Would help if you said which country you are in. Different countries...different rules.

My bad I didn’t even think about that. I am in Kentucky USA
I'll leave it to the American crowd on here to help you, then. Our laws in the U.K. do differ from those in the states in certain crucial areas...some in a good way and some in a bad way.

I also haven't heard of regular schools being on any manufacturers' no-fly lists. Massive universities or campuses might be, but not local level stuff. Of course you never want to overfly a school with people in it, or get close to it while it is open, but there should be no harm whatsoever in flying a mile or 2 down the road from it or even in a neighbouring field, if the school is empty...

Okay cool just wanted to make sure. Didn’t wanna spend 800 and some bucks on something I couldn’t fly at my house

I don't know how big your house or garden is, but usually, home is not the best place to fly. Your building is under your control, but neighbouring houses and gardens are not, and I can't tell you how fast people take exception to bigger camera drones in neighbourhoods ;) I guess if your property is vast, then it's not a problem, but over here in the UK where it's all a bit more tightly packed in, we have to go find local parks and fields to make our 'home' fly-sites...

Yuneec flight restrictions are quite lax compared to another manufacturer. They have a list of select airports around the world that receive NFZ’s. In the U.S. there are not very many. Yuneec does not generate NFZ’s or flight restrictions for schools, hospitals, power plants, police or fire departments, private properties, national forests or parks. They leave obeying the law up to you.

I’ll have to check the list to be certain but as you’re in Kentucky it’s likely you would only have an NFZ around Louisville.

Okay cool thanks for all the info! I have a really big back yard I wanna get used to it a little bit before I take it anywhere

I also haven't heard of regular schools being on any manufacturers' no-fly lists. Massive universities or campuses might be, but not local level stuff. Of course you never want to overfly a school with people in it, or get close to it while it is open, but there should be no harm whatsoever in flying a mile or 2 down the road from it or even in a neighbouring field, if the school is empty...
Same in the U.K. Schools aren't explicitly restricted anything above the normal rules about distances away from structures. Prisons, on the other hand, are a no-no and a contentious issue in the U.K. at the moment.

Hi everyone I am considering buying a yuneec typhoon h and I was wondering about the flight restrictions on it. I have only ever owned cheaper drones before, nothing big with gps or anything like this. I know there’s like A 5 mile restriction from airports but I thought I read somewhere that it won’t let you fly near schools as well. I live probably between 1/2 mile and a mile from a school and I don’t want to buy it and then not be able to use at home. Thanks for any help!
DOWNLOAD THE GUI APP FROM YUNEEC , CONNECT YOUR DRONE TO THE COMPUTER AND A MENU WILL COME UP ALLOWING YOU TO DISABLE THE NO FLY RESTRICTION. FIRST YOU MUST CONTACT YUNEEC FOR THE LINK. GO TO SUPPORT AND PRESS THE NO FLY ZONE LINK AND THEY HAVE YOU SIGN A FORM RELEASING THEM FROM ANY LIABILITY WHEN YOU FLY.

I don't have any problems with Yuneec but I will get it with DJI. However, DJI does not limit me around schools. Just they are stricter with small airports and heliports. I would suggest you download on your phone the AirMap app. It will show you all the restricted zones in your area and will even include temporary ones like emergency areas, like wildfires. Kentucky is currently not listed with LAANC but soon will be. Once that occurs, you can use AirMap to apply for instant airspace authorization if you need one for flying with Part 107.

The only instance where proximity to schools makes a difference (that I have seen) is in the Verifly app for on the spot insurance. When within a quarter mile of a school, the rate goes up by 50%

If someone knows of the FAA mandated flight restriction around schools would they please post a link? I don’t believe one exists.

If someone knows of the FAA mandated flight restriction around schools would they please post a link? I don’t believe one exists.
I don't believe the CAA restricts flights around schools either over and above the restrictions regarding congested areas. However, I would imagine that if one was to fly too close to a school or over it you would soon have some trouble on your hands. Parents can get jumpy about that.

DOWNLOAD THE GUI APP FROM YUNEEC , CONNECT YOUR DRONE TO THE COMPUTER AND A MENU WILL COME UP ALLOWING YOU TO DISABLE THE NO FLY RESTRICTION. FIRST YOU MUST CONTACT YUNEEC FOR THE LINK. GO TO SUPPORT AND PRESS THE NO FLY ZONE LINK AND THEY HAVE YOU SIGN A FORM RELEASING THEM FROM ANY LIABILITY WHEN YOU FLY.
This is a great post. However, I do not find the menu item that lets you disable the no-fly restriction. Could you please be more specific where to find that setting or menu item? Could it be a matter of the firmware? I have Ver. v1.35, 2017-3-3

This is a great post. However, I do not find the menu item that lets you disable the no-fly restriction. Could you please be more specific where to find that setting or menu item? Could it be a matter of the firmware? I have Ver. v1.35, 2017-3-3

Sorry, meant to state that I'm in California

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss