Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New buyer wondering about flight restrictions

There is no such NFZ feature in the U.S. GUI software for the H-480. There are two lines where you can alter geo fence limits to suit your needs, one of them being the altitude limitation.

Removal of NFZ limitations had until recently required owners to contact Yuneec customer service by phone to request a waiver request form. That form is e-mailed as a PDF to those requesting it, and requires filling it out accurately, declaring your personal responsibility, and returning it to Yuneec using the reply function associated with the original e-mail containing the form. Once approved the waiver software was sent to the applicant via e-mail attachment and installed via the GUI. It has come to my attention they may now be sending waiver software via the OTA method. I do not know if that is true. He waivered software is keyed to the autopilot serial number. It cannot be used to unlock any aircraft other than the one associated with the particular serial number. If you have more than one H and desire to unlock all of them you will need to submit a waiver request for each one.

Note there are two types of waiver firmware. One for recreational flyers and one for commercial operators. The recreational software removes most, but not all, restrictions. When close to a restricted location there will still be an altitude restriction. The commercial waiver removes all restrictions but to qualify for it you must provide a copy of your Part 107 certificate. No 107 copy and you will receive recreational waiver software.

Last edited:
Hi everyone I am considering buying a yuneec typhoon h and I was wondering about the flight restrictions on it. I have only ever owned cheaper drones before, nothing big with gps or anything like this. I know there’s like A 5 mile restriction from airports but I thought I read somewhere that it won’t let you fly near schools as well. I live probably between 1/2 mile and a mile from a school and I don’t want to buy it and then not be able to use at home. Thanks for any help!

Couple of things:

1 - you should download the App ":UAV Forecast" (I have it on my iPhone). This will show you a map of all the restricted zones near you. You're not allowed to fly within 5 miles of an airport, even the tiniest local grass trip as long as it's considered an airport. You're not allowed to fly in national parks and a host of other restricted areas. UAV Forecast shows you all the areas. Don't be frightened; I live in Rancho Cucamonga (42 miles east of downtown Los Angeles) and I have to drive several miles north to get away from the dozens of airports near me. Fortunately, there is a sweet little park in Fontana that is in the exact point where no restricted zones overlap. It's like a precious hole in the "net".

2 - I found that schools generally are not restricted zones. I have flown at the university where I teach (it happens to be in a free zone) as well as at a high school field just outside my restricted areas. Both times were on a Sunday morning.

3 - Hobbyman's post on Wednesday regarding contacting Yuneec for releasing the Typhoon in No-Fly zones is an excellent post. I contacted Yuneec by phone and the lady who answered was very helpful in providing the download that updates the GUI app, allowing you to select the ability to fly in No-Fly zones. I now have the option to turn the no-fly protection on and off via the GUI. But of course it's totally up to me to respect the law and not fly where I'm not supposed to. I use it mostly to inspect the roof of my home and the solar panels, keeping the drone well below 75 feet above ground.

If you are in the USA most drones are required to be registered Except for drones that are small. Go to the FAA web site it will cover the various regulations that you MUST comply with. Also to find out all the restricted air space go to "AIR MAP" web site it will cover all info on air space. Schools are one of the restrictions. In that web site it will show specific info of that space. airmap.com

You can fly within 5 miles of most airports. You just need to notify the airport and air traffic control, if the airport has one.

AirMap is a decent app, but lists all kinds of things as restricted when they are not (according to FAA rules). Good luck even contacting anyone regarding many small private airstrips. Most of them are defunct. Schools are not off limits as sites to fly at just because they are a school. Like anywhere else, you want to avoid flying over people. As far as shooting video goes, I’ll stop using it on my Breeze as soon as they outlaw using cell phones making videos in the same area!!!

Just went over all the posts here. I'm PART 107 and there are laws saying you can't fly over schools. Also, your not allowed to fly over people that aren't connected to your flight ops. If you live near a school, no problem, but if you live next to a school, that can be a problem. Officers can and will confront you about flying to close to schools.

I would say that the number of shooting incidents at schools, just in the last 2 - 3 years would account for much of the tightening... and with reasonable justification. Obviously any drone work on behalf of the school district would have both documentation and school awareness (you would think).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace