Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New guy with used TH on the way...

Reaction score
I live in WA, the bird is coming from FL. Obviously, it's going to need pretty much everything recalibrated, but I'm working on a check list of other things to do. So here's my list, so far:

1. Charge batteries in TH and ST-16.
2. Check/update firmware in both.
3. Calibration: Compass, accelerometer, gimbal.
4. Check/clear memory in ST 16.
5. Flight test with and without camera.
There are also a bunch of videos I want to review once I actually have the bird in hand.

So is there anything else I should add to the list? Although not a total newb to multi-rotors, it's been a couple of years since I last flew anything, and none of those were "smart" birds, or dedicated camera platforms. Anything in particular I should be on the lookout for? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Dave

Welcome aboard!

1. READ the user manual cover to cover, then again as needed for specific information and further understanding. It will answer most, if not all, of the questions you may have. As you read through, have the TH and ST16 powered on (no props) with you so you can locate and identify the items the manual is covering. Get to know your aircraft and Ground Control Station (ST16).

Here’s an enhanced version of the manual....it’s absolutely loaded with information!

Attachments

• Typhoon H User Manual.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 11
I've only had my (refurbished) H for a couple of months. Here's the advice I would give myself if I could go back in time. Even if the firmware looks up to date clear the memory, as you noted, as if the firmware was just updated. Make sure the drone is absolutely level when doing the Accelerometer calibration, this tells the drone which way up is so there's no conflict while it goes up while maintaining the same GPS latitude and longitude. Remove the camera prior to doing the compass calibration. There's nothing to be gained by having the camera flop around unnecessarily. Keep the drone away from iron during the compass calibration and when ever starting a flight. Here again, you want the drone to know exactly which way to go when changing location. As an example, imagine you want the drone to fly directly north per the GPS information. Unless the magnetic declination has been taken into consideration the drone will have no way to know exactly which way to go. It'll likely get where intended but not without having to continually make corrections. And most importantly, if you start getting into trouble let go of the controls. The drone will do everything it can to stop and maintain the GPS coordinates. With a non-GPS based drone or helicopter, positive action is often required to avert disaster. From the previous experience you noted its likely you've picked up what amounts to bad habit when it comes to preventing a collision. To make things easy to remember when starting up keep all the switches up except the the right most (Angle Mode). And oh!, have fun.

Edit: I added the word "compass" before calibration.
Edit 2: I said "with" when I meant "without".

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

1. READ the user manual cover to cover, then again as needed for specific information and further understanding. It will answer most, if not all, of the questions you may have. As you read through, have the TH and ST16 powered on (no props) with you so you can locate and identify the items the manual is covering. Get to know your aircraft and Ground Control Station (ST16).

Here’s an enhanced version of the manual....it’s absolutely loaded with information!

Already gone through it, and will do so again. Thanks!

Determine if it is addicted to fresh orange juice and sunshine.

No problem with sunshine, one of the reasons we moved to the Eastern side of the state was to get away from the Western WA dismal. It's currently just above zero, but the sun is out, not a cloud in the deep blue sky, and there's a fresh blanket of snow on everything. One of my reasons for getting the TH is just to be able to shoot the scenery in this beautiful place we call home :cool:. An OJ addiction could be a problem, though! Later.

Dave

I've only had my (refurbished) H for a couple of months. Here's the advice I would give myself if I could go back in time. Even if the firmware looks up to date clear the memory, as you noted, as if the firmware was just updated. Make sure the drone is absolutely level when doing the Accelerometer calibration, this tells the drone which way up is so there's no conflict while it goes up while maintaining the same GPS latitude and longitude. Remove the camera prior to doing the compass calibration. There's nothing to be gained by having the camera flop around unnecessarily. Keep the drone away from iron during the compass calibration and when ever starting a flight. Here again, you want the drone to know exactly which way to go when changing location. As an example, imagine you want the drone to fly directly north per the GPS information. Unless the magnetic declination has been taken into consideration the drone will have no way to know exactly which way to go. It'll likely get where intended but not without having to continually make corrections. And most importantly, if you start getting into trouble let go of the controls. The drone will do everything it can to stop and maintain the GPS coordinates. With a non-GPS based drone or helicopter, positive action is often required to avert disaster. From the previous experience you noted its likely you've picked up what amounts to bad habit when it comes to preventing a collision. To make things easy to remember when starting up keep all the switches up except the the right most (Angle Mode). And oh!, have fun.

Edit: I added the word "compass" before calibration.
Edit 2: I said "with" when I meant "without".

Thank you, that's pretty much what I have on my "check-list", I condensed things a bit for this post. As to bad habits, that's possible, although I have flown GPS equipped birds before. The biggest difference I can see will be with the controller, I'm not used to a self centering throttle stick, once I have everything updated and calibrated, I intend to do a fair bit of familiarization flying without the camera first, then once I'm used to how it handles, put the camera back on. I know, that means no video link, but that's okay, I think it would just be distracting at first anyway.

One other question, it's REALLY cold here now, daytime highs only in the low 20's, other than keeping batteries warm, is there anything else I need to do/watch out for? I'd like to fly it soon, don't want to have to wait until the spring thaw, and my shop just isn't big enough for much more than hovering in place. Thanks.

Dave

No problem with sunshine, one of the reasons we moved to the Eastern side of the state was to get away from the Western WA dismal. It's currently just above zero, but the sun is out, not a cloud in the deep blue sky, and there's a fresh blanket of snow on everything. One of my reasons for getting the TH is just to be able to shoot the scenery in this beautiful place we call home :cool:. An OJ addiction could be a problem, though! Later.

Dave

Having visited eastern Washington a few times I have to agree it’s a beautiful place with plenty of sun. The weather on the west side is a good reason to be anyplace else.

One other question, it's REALLY cold here now, daytime highs only in the low 20's, other than keeping batteries warm, is there anything else I need to do/watch out for? I'd like to fly it soon, don't want to have to wait until the spring thaw, and my shop just isn't big enough for much more than hovering in place. Thanks.

Dave

Don't stray too far... at those temps you'll have flight times as short as 5 minutes... goal is to land by 14.5V as measured under load, on the ST-16.

I'm going to offer some seemingly opposing advice to some of what is already mentioned but only to a point. If I were buying a used Typhoon, I would want to establish the state/condition it is in when I receive it before going through a list of updates and/or calibrations. At this point I am guessing the seller and you have talked and I am guessing he says it flies fine and has no issues or you may not have bought it.

I would indeed charge both batteries but; I would immediately boot up the system and make sure each and every function (outside of actual flight) is operating properly - in particular the camera and gimbal has full control and works as intended. I would also, go into the file system and retrieve all telemetry data - not just delete it. I would then look at the firmware that is installed and check to see if it has already been updated - at this stage of the game I would not be surprised to see it has the latest firmware already installed

After establishing everything is operating normal, and supposing the firmware is up to date I would do a compass calibration and do a small test flight to ensure the aircraft is flying normally. I would then proceed as outlined above. I have a two year old Typhoon with hundreds of flights logged the last of which was just two weeks ago - it has never been updated and has only been calibrated once. ;) It is a sunshine and orange juice bird. YEMV

I'm going to offer some seemingly opposing advice to some of what is already mentioned but only to a point. If I were buying a used Typhoon, I would want to establish the state/condition it is in when I receive it before going through a list of updates and/or calibrations. At this point I am guessing the seller and you have talked and I am guessing he says it flies fine and has no issues or you may not have bought it.

I would indeed charge both batteries but; I would immediately boot up the system and make sure each and every function (outside of actual flight) is operating properly - in particular the camera and gimbal has full control and works as intended. I would also, go into the file system and retrieve all telemetry data - not just delete it. I would then look at the firmware that is installed and check to see if it has already been updated - at this stage of the game I would not be surprised to see it has the latest firmware already installed

After establishing everything is operating normal, and supposing the firmware is up to date I would do a compass calibration and do a small test flight to ensure the aircraft is flying normally. I would then proceed as outlined above. I have a two year old Typhoon with hundreds of flights logged the last of which was just two weeks ago - it has never been updated and has only been calibrated once. ;) It is a sunshine and orange juice bird. YEMV

Thanks, Patrick, been watching and enjoying your videos, as well as learning a lot, keep up the good work :D. Good points above, will be following your advice to the letter. Looking forward to more videos, later.

Dave

Thank you, that's pretty much what I have on my "check-list", I condensed things a bit for this post. As to bad habits, that's possible, although I have flown GPS equipped birds before. The biggest difference I can see will be with the controller, I'm not used to a self centering throttle stick, once I have everything updated and calibrated, I intend to do a fair bit of familiarization flying without the camera first, then once I'm used to how it handles, put the camera back on. I know, that means no video link, but that's okay, I think it would just be distracting at first anyway.

Dave
I have no weather advice. Pretty moderate weather where I am. I wouldn't recommend flying without the camera except for perhaps an initial start and hover to make sure there's no serious problem.
Sometimes video files are not properly closed. Starting the next recording closes the problem file and all is well. I didn't know this and when I trued to view the video of my first flight I suspected a bad sd so I formatted it. Not having the video of my first flight is my biggest regret.
I do have one suggestion for dealing with cold weather: Unless the H has current GPS data the time it takes to be able to fly is very long. You might want to put the H out in the cold for at least 15 minutes several hours before you going out there. If need be the battery could be brought up to full charge before flying and it would be nice and warm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold