Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New H, never used, sat for a year

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a new Typhoon H that I bought in November of 2016 that has never been out of it's original backpack case. (Life happens) I'm wanting to bring this thing out and start enjoying it, but I'm concerned about possible problems with the LiPo batteries, and firmware.

My questions...
1)Should I worry about the batteries, or just charge them up and go?
2)I've read about people being unhappy with performance or problems after firmware updates. Is this still an issue, or should I just make sure I am up to date with the current firmware?

Thanks for any input,
Tommy

Reactions: David Graham
The batteries should still be in storage mode so they are fine. Of it was mine I would update to the latest firmware. For the instructions closely on the video.

After doing the updates when getting ready to fly for the first time, let it sit with the power on outside for 13 minutes. That will allow time for the GPS to finish updating.
Since it has been sitting for a long time, it would be good to check the sticks in Hardware Monitor.

OK, good to know about the GPS update. What do you mean "Check the Sticks"? What would I be checking for, just range of motion, centered?

OK, good to know about the GPS update. What do you mean "Check the Sticks"? What would I be checking for, just range of motion, centered?
Yes. Smooth operation, full scale travel and center position. They can get erratic in storage. Just a "feel good" check.

OK... So, I've got a few flights under my belt now, and feeling pretty confident. But I've come across an issue more than once due to reasons beyond my control.
I've got two fully charged batteries, but I'm unable to get out to fly, sometimes for 2 weeks (or more).

I need a charger that is capable of discharging full batteries to Storage state. This seems to be a very iffy subject that most answers I receive are from people that aren't sure, or don't realize that the batteries for the H, and the H Plus or H Pro.

Mine is the H Pro.

This is one I have recently purchased battery charger it will charge or discharge the batteries. You can chanrge or discharge 2 at a time.
The only issue I have experienced is that a battery may not illuminate the display sometimes. all I had to do was reset the battery.

This is one I have recently purchased battery charger it will charge or discharge the batteries. You can chanrge or discharge 2 at a time.
The only issue I have experienced is that a battery may not illuminate the display sometimes. all I had to do was reset the battery.

Thanks, but won't work for the Plus or Pro.

Perhaps I need educated. I was told that the H+ and H Pro were the same LiHV battery. Is this not the case? Google is so misleading. I would really like to hear from someone that has the H Pro, that uses this charger/dis-charger.

I have to pro
Perhaps I need educated. I was told that the H+ and H Pro were the same LiHV battery. Is this not the case? Google is so misleading. I would really like to hear from someone that has the H Pro, that uses this charger/dis-charger.
I have 2 Pro versions, the only difference is extra battery, wizard and backpack. The plus is a new model, new battery, motors wiring modifications and props etc.Some say the older battery can be used in the new plus versions?

H+ and H (pro or not) use different batteries. So chargers are different.

Yet one can use the H battery on H+ but one gets less flying time.

It's more a problem of system knowledge. A lot of people do not understand what they have and use descriptions that are inaccurate. The Typhoon H and Typhoon H Pro are for general purposes the same H-480 aircraft. Both the Typhoon H and Typhoon H Pro use the same 14.8V 4S LiPo battery and can carry either the CGO3+ or CGO-ET cameras. Some get further confused when they describe their controller for those aircraft, calling one an ST-16 and the other an ST-16+. Again, their controllers are essentially the same unit. With both the aircraft and controllers the difference is simply 1 external item added to the aircraft or controller. The H Pro is different from the standard H because of the addition of a Real Sense module at the bottom rear of the aircraft. The ST-16 controller for the Pro had a third external antenna added to the top of the controller, which for some reason caused people to believe made it more superior and so started calling it a "+". As far as funtionality is concerned both the ST-16 and ST-16+ are identical as the original two external antenna version of the ST-16 has the third antenna inside the transmitter case. Neither the ST-16 or ST-16+ can be used to control an H Plus. To re-cap, both the H and H Pro, ST-16 and ST-16+ are the same aircraft and controller, having only externally mounted equipment differences. They all employ the same basic hardware and use exactly the same cameras, batteries, and firmware.

The H Plus is a completely different system, larger in size (520mm) using a different camera (C-23), different flight control system, along with the ST-16S flight controller that employs many internal changes. The ST-16S cannot be used to control an H or H Pro. The Typhoon H Plus uses a 15.2V 4S LiHV battery but can make use of the original H and H Pro 14.8V batteries but experiences a shorter flight time when doing so. Extra vigilance needs to be employed when using an H battery with an H Plus as voltage will drop faster and alarm/voltage indicator settings can present differently.

As the LiHV battery is relatively new to the market, those using one need to look for chargers of more recent design. Older chargers will often not have a selection for LiHV as the charger was designed and produced before the advent of higher voltage lithium batteries. When researching products for possible purchase a little extra effort has to be expended to assure the desired selection possesses settings for LiHV in order to fully charge that type of battery. As we often visit sites like Amazon or eBay to review an item for purchase an issue arises where sites like Amazon and eBay frequently do not provide a full product description. We should visit manufacturer websites and conduct a full review of a manufacturer's specification sheets to make accurate decisions, and then visit the sites we make purchases from.

Last edited:
And the pro is available without Realsense, and different software dependant by region for all the older 480 models.Certainly the Yuneec UK website called it ST16+ from launch.

And the pro is available without Realsense, and different software dependant by region for all the older 480 models.Certainly the Yuneec UK website called it ST16+ from launch.

Whatever websites are referring to a Typhoon H without RS as a "Pro" are using deceptive terminology. Part of this board's purpose, is to disseminate accurate information. The specifics of models and their features, as described by @PatR are 100% accurate.

Here’s a thought, take the different H-480 systems apart and break them down to the individual component level, including the controllers, and compare them. Should you find any, report the differences aside from what was previously described.

There’s a word to describe people that believe everything they see in advertising, regardless of the product advertised. Advertising is designed to entice people to buy a product, with considerable latitude in veracity exercised to achieve that goal.

Reactions: DoomMeister

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval