Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New H Pro RS - Poor landing - Cold Weather?

Weather finally got up to mid-teens with mild wind... previously performed all Firmware Updates, successful bond RC & CGO4, the ECU & Gimbal calibrations inside and warm. Couldn’t get a good compas cali in driveway, so tried an open field... in 3ft snow & -16 Windchill. After 3 failed attempts, figured it was maybe the 60 second time limit and not the Cali reading causing failure so spun the H a bit faster and got the melody and positive lights.

Returned to home to warm hands & H, then tried 1st flight Hover at end of driveway with 17 Sats indicated available (Normally able to fly all my DJI models from drive without issues). The H started nicely, spun up the props and lifted smooth. Had a mild drift with wind to the West (left) but figured I’d explore that later on a warm day. Today was just to verify flight operation.

Took the H up & down, Lf & Rt, full 360’s, etc. Took it up to 50’ to test landing gear. No-Go... Rt leg appeared to try, but left leg solid. Cycled the landing Sw without success. Is there a way to test landing gear on bench?

Hovered down to land... skids would touch then slightly begin struggle & bounce and initiate a tip over to Left. Twice I aborted and lifted back up... verified all switches off: Landing gear and Obstacle Avoidance. Flight Sw Middle for angle mode / purple light.

On several proceeding landing attempts, pressed and was holding Kill switch... but before killing, started to lean to left and I aborted before prop strike.

Each attempt, would fight to get the H to touch down... then would start leaning.
Tried holding kill switch while near ground, just touched down when motors stopped... was in a lean with Rt skid light... close to tip over.

Restarted RC and H... lift off smooth, landing touched down smooth... then suddenly lifted off. Brought it back down, and same difficulties. Tried a kill Switch while hold Lf stick down... in last few seconds, tipped over and prop strike on two props... causing motor stall.

Questions: Is the cold causing poor landing behavior, did attempting to cycle landing gear make it appear as gear up? Poor landing behavior is new to me, normally my experience is when near ground or at touch down, smooth power down.

Any suggestions would be helpful,
That cold weather is a real prob unless you have a trick sealed bearings,and built in heater.im sure h will get better for people in sub zero temps.best wishes .flying high in CAlifornia.

Quick Update and considered Resolved:
4th Flight Test, 1st one above Sub-Freezing Temps.
Today's Temp: 35F Temp, 6-12 mph Wind, No moisture: Snow or Rain.

Previous tests indicated 1 or more as possible cause:
1) Extreme Cold, below Freezing 32F.
2) Misty weather - rain/snow
3) Allowing Voltage to drop too low: 14.3v
4) Pilot Error - Stick Movement at landing

I ran 4 batteries fully with intent down to 14.3v - Blinking motor lights signal to address 1 variable, Temps above 32F. Performed 7-10 landings with 2 batteries & 4-5 with other 2 batteries in same location as previous cold weather flights.
Continued to get intermittent Compass Cali Warnings below 2-4 ft as previous.

No issues in flights, No observed / felt odd control behavior, no struggle landing. Each landing smooth, no bounce, gentle touch each time. Performed all the procedures that had IMO created the struggle landing... idle for 2 minutes then lift off and return, repeated this without issues. Hit it hard to effect battery, then bring it down quickly, flair and touch down smooth.

Repeated with each battery, after 3-5 minutes H sitting in Cold. Last two batteries on start-up gave a ESC Cold Warning - Heating Up. Each battery hit the blinking lights, 14.3v and AC remained stable and responsive. Landed without issues each test.

All 4 batteries using IR Temp Gun started at 68F from home, at 14.3v shutdown OEM was 99-101, Non-OEM was 94-97. Both rebounded to 14.5 on power off and 14.7 a few minutes bench.

Conclusion: Not factual, but it does seem that sub-freezing temps or misting snow/rain environment does eventually create a problem... at least with my H480.
Above freezing, flies & lands without issues.

Conclusion: Not factual, but it does seem that sub-freezing temps or misting snow/rain environment does eventually create a problem... at least with my H480.
Above freezing, flies & lands without issues.
IMO the misting will probably cause more problems than the cold. The cold will effect the battery performance but mist = wet and that can/will effect everything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bcecleaning