Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New H Pro RS - Poor landing - Cold Weather?

Doug,
I do have one question: What do you mean by "Actually I think that's pretty cool how the Yuneec system stops the props and motors continue." The motors are not turning if the props are not turning (assuming the props are attached).

If any motors are turning, it would be the fan(s) in the Real Sense module as well as the ST16.
Hope your landings smooth out!
Jeff

Jeff,
Motors turning audio... my error, meant system remained active and audibly “On”, not fully cycled down like DJI and lifting the stick up spun props back up without requiring to initiate a startup.

My correction on spinning props... on my 3rd learning - cold flight. Getting accustomed to H, and realized today more detail of my comment of props stopping. Actually I noticed today the props don’t stop, but the motors do step way down... not creating lift or noise... same as when you first start. The sudden decrease in prop speed was what I was referring.

My correction on spinning props... on my 3rd learning - cold flight. Getting accustomed to H, and realized today more detail of my comment of props stopping. Actually I noticed today the props don’t stop, but the motors do step way down... not creating lift or noise... same as when you first start. The sudden decrease in prop speed was what I was referring.

Ahhhh!

:)

Third Cold flight... overall nice outting, learning & observing the unique behaviors of Yuneec.

Burnt through 4 batteries, left H outside in cold and each battery performed nice flights and several smooth landings. I did experience 2 mild landing struggles, aborting & re-landing were smooth. Oddly I noticed these were when batteries were low after received popup warning to land immediately; I brought it down very quickly and flared up for a quick 6 inch hover before touching down... she struggled at landing, lifted up for a hover and settled down. These were different than the previous, I feel those were related to condensation which didn’t reaccure leaving H in cold.

On batteries, 4 new: 2 in H kit and purchased 2 Ultrax 6300. Surprised the IR was lower with OEM and obtained 2-3 minutes longer flights. I had expected opposite results.

Questions:
1) When descending, does the H automatically slow down the ROD (rate of decent) at 30’ or 10 meters. There’s a major decrease in ROD without letting up on stick. I re-tested this several times with same results. Didn’t find an option to turn off or change value.

2) The Navigation “Green Arrow” on screen. Being used to an icon on screen showing nose direction of Drone, this green arrow makes little sense. It’s doesn’t appear to be consistent. I understand it’s suppose to be pointing to “Home” in reference to Ft of H. As I experimented, that didn’t seem accurate or reliable. My concern is knowing crafts orientation when visibility is a “dot” in the sky.

3) Speed, set to full “Rabbit”... wasn’t obtaining 32mph with or against wind. Is there an additional setting / option to adjust maximum speed?

4) Landing gear retract. Able to lift & extend gear above 10’ until ascending above 40-50’, afterwhich H won’t decend below 30’ unless gear is down. Is this correct behavior, is it modifiable?

5) Battery notifications & Timer: Receive pop-up message only. No Tone to get attention... I’ve looked for option to turn on tone. I have “vibration” on but don’t feel any vibration.

I’ve looked and see no screen timer that starts on lift-off. Does a timer exist that can be displayed or popped up?

6) Speed of pirouette & climb ROA, I’ve looked & adjusted the expo curves of rudder and aileron a little to smooth initial movement. Didn’t play with pitch, has anyone found a good expo curve setting to increase ROA?

“Green Arrow”
The arrow points in the direction to move the right stick to fly home. When the arrow is pointing up the nose if facing you/
wasn’t obtaining 32mph
That is ground speed not air speed. Depends on conditions. I get 27-31 mph.
H won’t decend below 30’ unless gear is down. Is this correct behavior, is it modifiable?
Cannot be changed. Are you flying with OA and RealSense turned on?
I have “vibration” on but don’t feel any vibration.
The ST16 should vibrate. If it is not then the the vibration gizmo is unplugged or not working.
Does a timer exist that can be displayed or popped up?
There is no timer. I start the video before liftoff and record the whole flight. That is my timer. The voltage reading is far more important than the timer.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
The arrow points in the direction to move the right stick to fly home. When the arrow is pointing up the nose if facing you/

That is ground speed not air speed. Depends on conditions. I get 27-31 mph.

Cannot be changed. Are you flying with OA and RealSense turned on?

The ST16 should vibrate. If it is not then the the vibration gizmo is unplugged or not working.

There is no timer. I start the video before liftoff and record the whole flight. That is my timer. The voltage reading is far more important than the timer.
That all helps... bummer on timer, such a simply thing.
Ahhhh... Green Arrow... that’s a little diff than I understood. I’ll experiment with that next time.
What voltage do you regularly target... minimal 14.2 or higher, when does RTH activate?
The vibration gizmo... I’ll pop it open and take a look.

That all helps... bummer on timer, such a simply thing.
Ahhhh... Green Arrow... that’s a little diff than I understood. I’ll experiment with that next time.
What voltage do you regularly target... minimal 14.2 or higher, when does RTH activate?
The vibration gizmo... I’ll pop it open and take a look.

Good battery care, let alone extending the use of your H, is to always plan to be in range to land BEFORE any battery warning, let alone auto land.

The big thing to understand: the H currently does not have an auto return to home for battery life. Loss of signal, yes. So, if your H is somewhere you don’t want to have to walk to or unable to get to when low battery is experienced, best not to let the tank get that low.

Continue reading up and searching on battery life. Best practices will be observed, with many experienced pilots recommending being close to home when battery level gets below 15v. Better to have some reserve, especially if conditions are tricky. Always want a little left in case a go-around is necessary.

Jeff

Right. The battery life is extended by not discharging too low. I'm always close to home when it hits 14.8 and on the ground at 14.6. I prefer to pop in a fresh battery rather than bleeding one too low. Bad things can happen if the voltage drops below that point.

Dang, I just had an ST opened up to fix a switch and I planned to look for that buzzer thingy.

I have good reason to record from launch to landing. The ST16 records a low res video but only when the camera is recording. I always have a video record of the flight if something drastic happens. It also ensures that I don't forget to press record when later in the flight.

Fully agree on the voltage, just curious to where everyone was targeting. It’s always higher than the technical specs.

The LiPo 4S specs: cells are 3.7v nominal, 4.2v Max and 3.2v Min. That equates to Max 4x 4.2=16.8v, Nominal 4x 3.7=14.8v, Min 4x 3.2=12.8v at full discharge. Chemical Damage technically doesn’t chemically occur until 3.2v per cell.

That’s why I was curious when you set her down, based on FC indicator on the active voltage draw. If you ended flight at 14.2 at power down that’s apx 14.5~14.8 depending on surface recharge time before measuring.

Interesting, I wasn’t aware the H didn’t have RTH based on voltage. I thought I read it calculated voltage and would return based on distance... similar to other brand. Was it the H520, I may have blended manuals.

Last edited:
Fully agree on the voltage, just curious to where everyone was targeting. It’s always higher than the technical specs.

The LiPo 4S specs: cells are 3.7v nominal, 4.2v Max and 3.2v Min. That equates to Max 4x 4.2=16.8v, Nominal 4x 3.7=14.8v, Min 4x 3.2=12.8v at full discharge. Chemical Damage technically doesn’t chemically occur until 3.2v per cell.

That’s why I was curious when you set her down, based on FC indicator on the active voltage draw. If you ended flight at 14.2 at power down that’s apx 14.5~14.8 depending on surface recharge time before measuring.

Interesting, I wasn’t aware the H didn’t have RTH based on voltage. I thought I read it calculated voltage and would return based on distance... similar to other brand. Was it the H520, I may have blended manuals.
These days I always aim to land at 14.5v. Occasionally I may let it go to 14.4v but never lower. The first battery low level warning is at 14.3v so the overall aim is to be safely on the ground before that happens.

When my H480 was new (early June 2016) I did let it go past the first low level warning before landing on a couple of occasions but I noticed on those occasions the H480 did display some strange behavior...behavior that is not experienced if landing before the first warning.

When my H480 was new (early June 2016) I did let it go past the first low level warning before landing on a couple of occasions but I noticed on those occasions the H480 did display some strange behavior...behavior that is not experienced if landing before the first warning.

I’m inclined to agree, I noticed an oddity landing that began after battery warning / low voltage but not positive how long warning was displayed as not aware when it popped up. Battery voltage was in 14.2-14.1 range. Again, interesting the oddity was on the Ultrax and not on OEM batteries.

I’m inclined to agree, I noticed an oddity landing that began after battery warning / low voltage but not positive how long warning was displayed as not aware when it popped up. Battery voltage was in 14.2-14.1 range. Again, interesting the oddity was on the Ultrax and not on OEM batteries.
It's been a good long time ago since I landed after the first warning and it showed that odd behavior, but it was OEM batteries...indeed, I only use OEM batteries. IMHO, I don't think it matters much whether it's OEM batteries or not: If the H is gonna show strange behavior if flying past the first warning, it'll do it no matter what battery is used (just my opinion)

It's been a good long time ago since I landed after the first warning and it showed that odd behavior, but it was OEM batteries...indeed, I only use OEM batteries. IMHO, I don't think it matters much whether it's OEM batteries or not: If the H is gonna show strange behavior if flying past the first warning, it'll do it no matter what battery is used (just my opinion)

Agree odd voltage behavior is odd voltage behavior at a given voltage. I was more thinking the discharge rate of the Ultrax may be different at low voltage. The IR on the Ultrax is basically double indicated by the OEM, thus effecting the discharge. With that said, not that Yuneec are superior... but in this case they do appear better than the Ultrax recently purchased.

Agree odd voltage behavior is odd voltage behavior at a given voltage. I was more thinking the discharge rate of the Ultrax may be different at low voltage. The IR on the Ultrax is basically double indicated by the OEM, thus effecting the discharge. With that said, not that Yuneec are superior... but in this case they do appear better than the Ultrax recently purchased.
Since I've never used anything else other than OEM batteries, I have no direct experience of what other batteries are like other than what I've read on this forum. Batteries other than OEM may (or may not) show different behavior at low voltages or, indeed, cold temperatures...I simply can't say from first-hand experience (maybe someone else can chime in). The best way to avoid strange behavior at low voltage levels is simply don't let the battery get there :)

Your delta between the OEM and UltraX batteries is odd, but I have been reading of some people that sate they are obtaining less flight time with the UltraX batteries than OEM, which is not how it used to be. It's possible Yuneec, or Tattu, is using a battery vendor from who they had been using previously. My experiences with OEM and UltraX batteries has provided fairly equal flight time between both and lower IR with the UltraX. I haven't bought a new UltraX or OEM battery in over a year.

The H does not have a battery level-distance-auto return profile. The H only senses battery voltage and makes the user responsible for determining when they should start the way back. If the user uses up the battery going away they won't have enough left to get back when the low voltage warnings occur. Normally I have the H on the ground by 14.5V. As I never fly to less than 14.4V, and will have the H on the way back by at minimum 14.8V (distance dependent; higher voltage for returns at longer distance), I can't say if the H will now auto return after a low voltage warning or not. I know it used to with earlier firmware. BTW, battery voltage "rebounds" 0.3V after landing, and recovers about 0.5V more after sitting for awhile afterwards. If a battery used for a previous flight is voltage checked and looks good enough for another short flight that voltage will very quickly (only a few seconds) drop to the previous "pre-landing" voltage. I mention this for others that may not be familiar with how lipo's function. You can certainly use a battery for multiple flights but learning and understanding the voltage curves and system consumption rates is very important for safe operations.

The b30 firmware altered (reduced) the climb, descent, and maneuverability rates. Lift off now occurs in two stages, initially slower than what it originally did and increasing the climb rate slightly after achieving 5 meters or so of altitude. Descent rate is less than it originally was. I'll guess that many complaining of landing "roll overs" and "twitchy" response when departing a hover induced Yuneec to decrease the systems agility to better serve the inexperienced and those with dumb thumbs. I really miss the original agility, it's one of the reasons I bought the H.

As I don't have nor have I used RS or IPS I have no knowledge of minimum gear up operational height. Without those features the H can be flown into the ground with the gear up in Angle mode. Having only the basic, quite inaccurate, altimeter, the basic H does not have anything to help it reference or establish "ground level".

Your delta between the OEM and UltraX batteries is odd, but I have been reading of some people that sate they are obtaining less flight time with the UltraX batteries than OEM, which is not how it used to be. It's possible Yuneec, or Tattu, is using a battery vendor from who they had been using previously. My experiences with OEM and UltraX batteries has provided fairly equal flight time between both and lower IR with the UltraX. I haven't bought a new UltraX or OEM battery in over a year.

Data specifics were collected but wasn’t included, focus more on flight characteristics of H.
Agree it wasn’t the battery outcome expected.

All Batteries equal history: charged 3X and 1 Balance Charge
Based on Revo IR Meter, IR Total represents full circuit: IR cell total, leads, connections

Ultrax B1 @ Full 16.682v
IR: 6.52, 6.44, 6.69, 7.56 Total: 46.2mohm (*Total Cell IR, Test Leads, Connections)
Cell V: 4.172, 4.175, 4.172, 4.174
Post Flight: Fuel Level: 10% @ 14.711v

Ultrax B2 @ Full 16.684v
IR: 6.50, 6.65, 6.37, 7.55 Total: 46.5
Cell V: 4.176, 4.175, 4.173, 4.172
Post Flight: FL: 20% @ 14.975v

Yuneec B1: @ Full 16.686v
IR: 3.13, 2.87, 3.08, 4.10 Total: 32.2
Cell V: 4.171, 4.183, 4.177, 4.168
Post Flight: FL: Photo Opps - 18% 14.8??

Yuneec B2: @ Full 16.657v
IR: 3.88, 3.14, 3.47, 5.17 Total: 34.2
Cell V: 4.161, 4.175, 4.171, 4.158
Post Fligh: FL: Photo Opps - recall 17% 14.8??

On the Recharge - Rm Temp 4 Hrs Post
Yuneec 5400mAh produced better capacity results than Ultrax 6300mAh
Balance Charge Operation:
U B1: 16.80v 5648mA 4.20cells
U B2: 16.80v 5511mA 4.20cells
Y B1: 16.80v 5967mA 4.20cells
Y B2: 16.80v 5828mA 4.20cells

Flight times not accurate, estimates due to lack of flight timer. Haven't deciphered logs yet, but I noticed on UAV Toolbox YouTube it indicates logs have flight time.

Last edited:
The b30 firmware altered (reduced) the climb, descent, and maneuverability rates. Lift off now occurs in two stages, initially slower than what it originally did and increasing the climb rate slightly after achieving 5 meters or so of altitude. Descent rate is less than it originally was. I'll guess that many complaining of landing "roll overs" and "twitchy" response when departing a hover induced Yuneec to decrease the systems agility to better serve the inexperienced and those with dumb thumbs. I really miss the original agility, it's one of the reasons I bought the H.

Is there a Editor available that allows End User to modify the profile flight variables?
ROD, ROA, Yaw rates?

As I don't have nor have I used RS or IPS I have no knowledge of minimum gear up operational height. Without those features the H can be flown into the ground with the gear up in Angle mode. Having only the basic, quite inaccurate, altimeter, the basic H does not have anything to help it reference or establish "ground level".

I have the RS checked within FW menu, FC sw Object Avoidence turned Off.
If gear is down, I haven't noticed any interaction to stop a ground impact. But it will stop a decent at 30 feet with gear up. With Gear down, decent slows dramatically at 30 feet, I'd like about another 10-12' before automatically slowed; learning to flair the craft is both useful and entertaining. If below 30' when activate gear up and remain below 30', again no avoidance to prevent ground impact.

The UltraX IR values is disappointing but the OEM battery IR is not very good either.

Anecdotal for a different platform; I clipped a power line with a prop tip with the 920 yesterday. Nicked the right forward prop tip about 3/8” from the end which generated a split and offset running back 2-5/8” from the tip. The area was bordered by power lines and I thought the wire was further back... I knew when it happened so carefully observed AC performance for a minute or so afterwards. The AC demonstrated no ill effects aside from a bit more tilt in initiating forward motion from hover. Finished the flight, returned, and changed props.

Ouch! Happy to hear no major outcome! Didn't drop into any 5 prop failsafe with the slight surge on strike, or erratic balance behavior. Says a lot for the 920 design, and the carbon props... evidently they are extremely brittle composition.

Correct, Yuneec's are idea but better than new batch of Ultrax.

BTW, a solution to the timer issue. Back in the beginning I was hoping for an on screen timer too but lacking that picked up several small digital kitchen/egg timers at WalMart for $0.98 each and used self stick Velcro to attach them to the front of the ST-16 just above the glare shield. The timer is started and stopped when the motors arm and disarm. Max time delta between the two functions is usually not more than a second or so per flight. Not visually pure but functions just fine. Kind of like encountering virgins at our age. Not very important but has the ability to be more trouble than they're worth;)

BTW, a solution to the timer issue. Back in the beginning I was hoping for an on screen timer too but lacking that picked up several small digital kitchen/egg timers at WalMart for $0.98 each and used self stick Velcro to attach them to the front of the ST-16 just above the glare shield. The timer is started and stopped when the motors arm and disarm. Max time delta between the two functions is usually not more than a second or so per flight. Not visually pure but functions just fine. Kind of like encountering virgins at our age. Not very important but has the ability to be more trouble than they're worth;)
Spot On! I had same thought, was planning to look around for a small timer w handy buttons. Just hadn’t gotten to a Walmart yet. Now the hard part... what color timer, per my Wife’s question.

Today got above 38, but high winds above 30-40mph discouraged flight lesson of H. Fit in a 45 mile workout ride, high winds made 3 of the 4 directions a bit of a bear.... but the tailwind heading North was a 35mph blast!

Had multiple responses to your last one, couldn’t decide on the clean one. And yes... very true, although still has an entertainment value to gander!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio