Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New ST16 antenna. BETTER THAN ITELITE????

Reaction score
Ok Guys this New ST16 Antenna is on its way to be checked out. It looks very nice even if I do say so. I have spoke Directly to the Guy who developed this antenna, there is a bit of a story behind it. Long story short.

He worked at Itelite : They would not invest in developing the antenna any further. "This is this Guys job" so he has teamed up with another company who design and manufacture Wifi antennas and systems.

They Gave him the budget and free reign to design a New Antenna as they are now targeting the UAV industry. (Who would have thought. Hahahahah ) Check them out here:

Raptor SR

www.4hawks.com

The Raptor SR has been made for other brands of UAV controllers too.

Main features of this kit:

Dedicated mounting kit included.
Mounting gives possibility to tilt the antenna in evevation angle with self clinching system.
No easy to loose wing nuts. Only Captive Panel Screw.
Enclosure made by injection moulded.
Back side of the antenna made by polycarbonate.
No siliconne or glue.
All cables included.

There are three antenna laminates inside:
two at 2.4GHz, 10dBi gain

and one 5Ghz, 14dBi gain.

The flight range can be enhanced up to 3 times. Obviously everything depends on the weather, lay of the land, obstacles, other devices/ networks etc etc which can cause interference.IMG_20170714_110729.png IMG_20170714_110729.png IMG_20170714_110756.png IMG_20170714_110729.png IMG_20170714_110756.png

Attachments

• IMG_20170714_110729.png
    IMG_20170714_110729.png
    682.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20170714_110651.png
    IMG_20170714_110651.png
    307.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20170714_110634.png
    IMG_20170714_110634.png
    362.2 KB · Views: 23
You could not find any pics, eh, mate?:eek:
The company and you too I suppose, are in EU. Right? The gain figures are a bit hard to digest, but I'm a skeptical Ham Radio type.o_O
Do you have one of these antennas? Are you connected to the company?
Indeed a slick bit of kit.:cool:

The company and you too I suppose, are in EU. Right? The gain figures are a bit hard to digest, but I'm a skeptical Ham Radio type.o_O

Hey there, thanks. I have one of these antennas coming, no I am not connected to the Company in any way, other than the fact they are sending me one to look at unbox and review on. So if it's ****. I will say so mate. Lol. Yes. Im a Ham myself. MI0RGX is the Call. Lol. I thought gains looked about right. Maybe when the figures where rounded up they gone up to the nearest rather than down. But this is all the info I have at the moment. I have pictures here but they came in a PDF and not a Jpeg so it was easier to screen shot of their site. It should be here on Monday, I'll post some real pics of it up then and keep you posted on my real thoughts on it. Cheers.

Reactions: ThunderChicken
Hello FG Gilmore...
I know this is not quite related to the product you are discussing but I do have an antenna related question that hopefully someone who looks at your post can answer for me. I am brand new to the drone world and just received my Typhoon H Pro. The ST-16 Controller came with two short center antenna (one attached and one in the accessories box). The one attached has a (sort-of) square top on it with a flexible shaft and the one packed in the box is round with a rigid but bendable right-angle shaft. Can you or any one who reads this post tell me the difference between them and possibly why I would have received them both? The documentation that came with the drone is rather sketchy. Thank you in advance!!

Hello FG Gilmore...
I know this is not quite related to the product you are discussing but I do have an antenna related question that hopefully someone who looks at your post can answer for me. I am brand new to the drone world and just received my Typhoon H Pro. The ST-16 Controller came with two short center antenna (one attached and one in the accessories box). The one attached has a (sort-of) square top on it with a flexible shaft and the one packed in the box is round with a rigid but bendable right-angle shaft. Can you or any one who reads this post tell me the difference between them and possibly why I would have received them both? The documentation that came with the drone is rather sketchy. Thank you in advance!!
The square shape one is for longer range flying. It is a directional antenna and the flat surface should always point at the aircraft for maximum effective range. The small round. "Mushroom" antenna is a Left hand circular polarized antenna and should try to be pointed Flat side up. This antenna provides best Omnidirectional all round performance, but lacks the Gain required when out at great distances. Never the less. The mushroom should be good for distances of up to 1km (1000mtrs) or more. The square should double that. But. It must stay pointed at the craft to keep the connection. Hope this answered your question. Thanks.

Reactions: Stevemo816
Just curious, from what I understand, the gain of the stock antenna's (in the USA) is right at the threshold of not requiring a Ham license. By adding an aftermarket antenna, isn't the user technically required to obtain a Ham license to legally operate?

Reactions: ThunderChicken
Good question GWHUNTOON. I am also in the Southwest USA and wonder about all the regulations. Mine came with the longer range antenna mounted on the ST-16 and the "mushroom" in the accessory box and was shipped to me from a USA location so I assume it is legal to use without a HAM license. Been a LOT of years since I used HAM radio as a member of the Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS) back in the 60's.

I believe antenna gain is not the limiting factor. That antenna gain is directional, and the overall power out is not changed.

Reactions: RGilmore
I believe antenna gain is not the limiting factor. That antenna gain is directional, and the overall power out is not changed.
Ok, so the power out with these 3rd part antenna's remains the same? No amplifier? If that's the case then they should be totally legal within the existing FCC certification.

Nice looking kit but the howls from people trying to make the ST-16 fit in the shipping foam case gotta be pretty loud...

Reactions: Stevemo816

It must be the metric version of DB Gain.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The 4hawks antenna does not have anything to do with amplifying the RF power output from the actual transmitter section of the controller, it does amplify the gain by means of being a directional antenna but this will not put you outside the legal power output for that specific frequency, so no ham radio license required. It has no boosters as such and will not drain the ST16 battery any quicker than what it would under any normal use. (This came up on facebook groups )

Attachments

• IMG_20170718_112546.jpg
    IMG_20170718_112546.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 21
Just curious, from what I understand, the gain of the stock antenna's (in the USA) is right at the threshold of not requiring a Ham license. By adding an aftermarket antenna, isn't the user technically required to obtain a Ham license to legally operate?

No. A ham license would not be required. The antenna is highly directional and does not increase the actual power emitted by the transmitter. Sort of like a focusing magnifying lens is to light the directional antenna focuses the radio waves in to a tight pattern.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ploomy