Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

No fly nonsense

Many times when someone finds that their anger has been misdirected and entirely due to their own failure to understand or research, plus finding no support or justification in their feelings.....it’s too much for ego to handle and they just go dark.....only to surface later under a new username......a slate wiped clean.

I’m not accusing the OP of this....just presenting another possibility.

Another possibility is approach patterns outside of the 5 mile marker. With some of the changes with grid patterns, an approach/departure pattern will extend the AGL limitations out past the 5 mile marker. I live in a class C, when I fly in our downtown area which is well outside of the 5 mile marker it is under the approach. I will receive a msg advising I am in class E airspace. I have a WAA authorization and a custom unlock, so I am still able to fly. His TH may be in one of these areas which would prevent him from starting. Just brainstorming here, not sure if this IS his problem.

The only area a Yuneec drone will not start is in one of the NFZ on their list. In the US that list is comprised of Class B and Class C airports and a few military airports. There are no extensions, etc. 'ala DJI. The geofencing is very limited compared to DJI.

Reactions: PatR
Another possibility is approach patterns outside of the 5 mile marker. With some of the changes with grid patterns, an approach/departure pattern will extend the AGL limitations out past the 5 mile marker. I live in a class C, when I fly in our downtown area which is well outside of the 5 mile marker it is under the approach. I will receive a msg advising I am in class E airspace. I have a WAA authorization and a custom unlock, so I am still able to fly. His TH may be in one of these areas which would prevent him from starting. Just brainstorming here, not sure if this IS his problem.
There is no approach pattern out side of the 5 mile radius where he lives.
I have yet to take my H to see if it will even start up at MCO.I don't plan to fly there, just want to see if it will start just in case I have a job in tht area?

GPS distances can be fairly inaccurate. If the system has not had adequate time to develop good data resolution the estimated distance from a recorded NFZ area could be considerably more or less than actual.

We also don’t have a clue about what the actual dimensions are for the NFZ’s Yuneec employs. They could be 3 miles, they could be 10 miles or anything in between.

People need to stop thinking or believing these toys possess precise positional accuracy. There are zero certification standards applied to the GPS and compass units, no positional accuracy values are provided or implied for the aircraft. What they cost us has no bearing whatsoever with how accurate they are. What they cost is simply verification an advertising department accurately predicted what consumers would be willing to spend.

i own 5 Yuneec UAVs and I have a ranch here in Texas having a private airstrip (shown on the FAA San Antonio Sectional) and it is a NFZ. The approach and departure of my FAA charted airport borders a couple of roads, and I’d hate to think I’d be taking off or landing at my place, and somebody was flying a drone as I’m flying my pattern (downwind leg, turn to base, final approach) and I smack into a drone.

I am religious about checking areas where I can or can’t fly my UAVs and it’s up to us UAV operators to follow protocol, build goodwill in our communities and neighborhoods and follow the regulations.

When I want to fly one of my drones, I look for areas where there aren’t NFZs and that’s where I go. Just do a little more homework on your end and find a place where you can legally fly.

Reactions: rdonson
i own 5 Yuneec UAVs and I have a ranch here in Texas having a private airstrip (shown on the FAA San Antonio Sectional) and it is a NFZ. The approach and departure of my FAA charted airport borders a couple of roads, and I’d hate to think I’d be taking off or landing at my place, and somebody was flying a drone as I’m flying my pattern (downwind leg, turn to base, final approach) and I smack into a drone.

I am religious about checking areas where I can or can’t fly my UAVs and it’s up to us UAV operators to follow protocol, build goodwill in our communities and neighborhoods and follow the regulations.

When I want to fly one of my drones, I look for areas where there aren’t NFZs and that’s where I go. Just do a little more homework on your end and find a place where you can legally fly.
I don't know about your area, but I find no fly zones and areas of caution vary greatly from the range of Apps available, I find it's logical to stay away from the largest airports, but some grass strips, redundant airfields and areas of caution vary a lot, so sometimes it's a best guess scenario, one says fly other no, well here in UK anyway.

Here’s the thing, the FAA does not generate NFZ’s. They designate airspace types and control zones. The NFZ’s incorporated by multirotor manufacturers are nothing but fluff in a weak attempt to limit their product liability.

In all of aviation it’s the pilot in command’s responsibility to be cognizant of all conditions that can impact or influence their flight. Therefore it is the pilots responsibility to operate only in the airspace they can legally operate. That also means pilots are the people responsible for learning about airspace types, airport traffic areas, various types of control zones, how to read an aeronautical chart, and legally recognized locations to obtain aeronautical information.

The NFZ’s encoded with multirotors are often whatever a manufacturer wants them to be and no accuracy is required. There is no federal requirement for them to be present at all. People depending on them to assure flight safety will only have themselves to blame if and when they run afoul of airspace restrictions.

Reactions: DoomMeister
i own 5 Yuneec UAVs and I have a ranch here in Texas having a private airstrip (shown on the FAA San Antonio Sectional) and it is a NFZ.

Huh? You are saying that your private airport is recognized by Yuneec as a NFZ? From the lists I have seen they only use ClassB and Class C airports for NFZ. What is not clear if they only use the surface area of the airspace or if they project the entire airspace to the ground and call it a NFZ.

I live about 10 miles from DFW International, a few miles outside the surface B. The B above me is the 3k to 11k shelf. I have no issues so it’s probably the surface B & C if any at all.

According to the FAA private airport airspace is no more than the airspace class it underlies. Private airports are not automatically granted special or restricted use status. Such airfields, or more precisely, runways, are private property where any public use requires advance permission from the property owner to operate to or from, and listed on aeronautical charts for emergency purposes.

Yes, my airstrip is a NFZ, although all of my Yuneec UAVs easily fly there. If it is an FAA recognized airfield, and on the Sectional or WAC charts, I suspect everyone is in all of the apps we UAV pilots use and show up as an NFZ.
About 5 years ago, I sent a letter to Meteor Crater Park near Winslow, AZ to determine if I could fly my Yuneec there. Gave them all my contact info, and despite (at the time) it wasn’t yet a NFZ, they called and asked me not to fly there. So I didn’t.

In my case, my private airfield has my contact information on Air Map, Air Buddy and others. A courtesy call is all it takes if someone wants to legally fly in the area indicated on the app. A sheriff deputy even called stating they needed to use their drone for an investigation (gave no other reason)... Long story made short, “look (at your apps) before you leap.”

Reactions: rdonson
Orville - where is this airport? I would like to see it on a sectional. Thanks.

As far as Meteor Crater, it is private property. They can restrict flying while standing on their land. They cannot restrict you flying over it. Not sure the limits of their property, so it might not be feasible to fly from outside their land.

Therein lies the problem with many NFZ apps. Scanning a national list of registered airports and annotating their coordinates with a 5 mile circle is wantonly inaccurate as most of the listed airports are not afforded control zone status. If it doesn’t have a published IFR procedure a private airport won’t have a control zone.

Worse, some property owners want to believe they have been granted such status because they registered a private runway and improperly generated NFZ maps lends them false support which they might use when consulting uneducated local law enforcement for actions against someone flying near the borders of their property.

Worse, some property owners want to believe they have been granted such status because they registered a private runway and improperly generated NFZ maps lends them false support which they might use when consulting uneducated local law enforcement for actions against someone flying near the borders of their property.

This bears repeating.

I don't know about your area, but I find no fly zones and areas of caution vary greatly from the range of Apps available, I find it's logical to stay away from the largest airports, but some grass strips, redundant airfields and areas of caution vary a lot, so sometimes it's a best guess scenario, one says fly other no, well here in UK anyway.

What apps are you using????

Personally, I use the FAA B4UFly and UAV Forecast. I have no reason to think the FAA is not on top of things.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval