Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Now I understand the "Fly Away"

Despite this set back I'm still enthusiastic about the product. I know of few things that don't have room for improvement and Yuneec continually demonstrates their willingness to improve. It does not get any better than that;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Pat,

Sorry to hear about your fly-away. Fingers crossed, I have been flying almost 6 months without any issues. It would bother me as well getting back out there thinking this bird could come down on someone or damage property.

Very glad to hear you are planning on another H. I still get the most bang-for-the-buck from mine in terms of flying and quality film.

A year ago I flew a 650 sized quad into a try about the same height. I could see it but could not event attempt the climb on pine with the initial branches 15 feet up. Went to Homedepo and purchased several 6' pvc pipes with coupling to allow me to transport a 54' long pole to the field and managed to knock the drone down.

Second, a couple rules learned as a motocrosser : if in doubt gas it, and hesitate and die. As applied to flying these drones when in trouble I will hit throttle immediately (as it seems you did) and then without hesitation I will punch RTH if I do not get orientation or visualization; that has always got me a few seconds or more to get back on track. With the H, after RTH I flip on the Intel OBS to try to not hit the cliff between me and the bird.

In actuality it is more about practice flying, practice recovery in normal flight, practice recovery in bad situations (by putting yourself in one). Practice enough to let the training and trust to kick in. If it still fails, your conscience is clean. I am still working on this as it is hard to just practice when heading for an hour with the busy schedules we all have.
I like your advice. If in trouble, 1. go up, 2. hit RTH and 3. set OBS. If the drone has flown out of your view, going up should help with visibility and avoiding trees.

I ran 3 batteries through my H this morning. Temperatures were about freezing just after sunrise and my H performed perfectly. I probably raised and lowered the gear 75 times with no strange behavior. I tried different orientations to the ST16 in case that was an issue. I feel better having the external antenna's but I do not know if the antenna's were an issue since I had so many flights without a failure stock. I flew out into the desert quite a ways and the telemetry and video down link were perfect even while working the retracts. Time will tell.

Warning this video is boring; near the end I got a little Follow mode in and the H did great as usual.

Robbi,

I hope to be referencing the antenna location with Yuneec in some upcoming communications. If what you found in yours is common it could explain a lot. I am not opening mine up since they have offered to do repairs. Better they see it themselves first hand if the condition is present.

You say yuneec has offered to do repairs, how did this come about. Did they see your post and contact you or did you contact them? Are they covering the cost or do you have to chip in?
Just want to be clear on what they are doing for you as some people are not so lucky if they are covering the cost.

You say yuneec has offered to do repairs, how did this come about. Did they see your post and contact you or did you contact them?

Had you bothered to read the entire thread, Pat explained exactly what happened and when, including his interaction with Yuneec, and their final determination.

Update;

Yuneec agrees it was a fly away and has offered to make repairs. It does not get much better than that.

Great news! I am continually impressed with Yuneec customer service.

Augustine,

have been in communication with Yuneec since about an hour after the event occurred. Hardest part was getting a 28mb telemetry package to them for review, along with my original purchase receipt. I had called them yesterday to check on telemetry receipt progress.

Today I was working in a steel building running engines where cell phone reception was not possible unless outside of the structure. At roughly 1100 I received an e-mail stating they had reviewed the telemetry, confirmed the fly away, and offered to repair the H. That is all that was referenced. I'm assuming I'll pay shipping.

Considering my H is over a month past the end of the warranty period I find the situation quite satisfactory. In fact, I'm grateful since Yuneec is not bound by anything after the warranty expires. I don't have any clue what others experienced but throughout everything surrounding this event I have been courteous and pleasant in my conversations with customer service. I have tried to provide as much information as possible in order to assist any possible product improvement team in gathering information that might benefit all going forward. Essentially I treated Yuneec personnel and the situation surrounding the incident the same way I prefer to be treated when I perform incident investigations in my line of work. I have found I get what I give. If I give crap, crap is what I receive.

Bear in mind there are a lot of people that experience a problem that become repeatedly negative in public forums. I don't know how they act in private conversations but if it's in any way similar to how they act in a public forum I could understand some reluctance in doing any more for them than absolutely required. When I first presented my problem to Yuneec I did not make any mention of them taking care of it, I simply reported the event and asked how I should proceed. Understand this is not my first encounter with Yuneec's customer service team. There was a problem I created, immediately fessed up to it, and they handled it for much, much less than they could have. I cannot speak for Yuneec's decision making process but perhaps honey is better than vinegar?

In any case I am grateful and have no reservations in continuing my support of Yuneec and their product line. They have, since well before I bought my first Yuneec product last year, had one of the best customer service programs in the multirotor business. 3DR had been right up there with them but they are gone now, which is something we should all lament. Both companies made up the top two in customer service. Yuneec has also been constantly increasing the functionality of the H via firmware upgrades. With some other brands that increase in functionality would require people to buy a new and upgraded system to obtain it. If you're a legal commercial operator NFZ's and height restrictions can be completely removed from the auto pilot. Nobody else that employs NFZ technology does that. Camera functionality has also been constantly improving with firmware upgrades.

Sure, we get some bugs in the firmware but if you've been in this game for a significant length of time you know that's the way it is with any maker that provides firmware upgrades. If you deal with computers everyday you know that every new update brings a new bug, and that bug may have been known before the update was released. We also have a few bugs with the people uploading firmware. Then we have the people that insist on pushing beyond design limits, where customer support may not be warranted, or even desirable if such support encouraged negative operational behavior. I don't see that kind of stuff changing any time soon. IMHO, Yuneec is doing things pretty much right and are working to become even better.

Thank you Yuneec.

Last edited:
Robbi,

Don't know that it matters, but I had ~200 flights on my H before this compass error.

Pat,

Awesome critique o how one should handle a situation. I take that approach myself and have been rarely let down. I also have to take negativity with a grain of salt. I know there are some bad situations and a lot of frustrations out there but unfortunately, there are also a lot or trolls fanning the flames. I've worked in IT support for years and have learned that no one comes to me happy and in a perfect world they wouldn't come to me at all. Maybe like you, being on the other end helps give you a different perspective.

Had you bothered to read the entire thread, Pat explained exactly what happened and when, including his interaction with Yuneec, and their final determination.
I did read it, just never picked up on that part but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Augustine,

have been in communication with Yuneec since about an hour after the event occurred. Hardest part was getting a 28mb telemetry package to them for review, along with my original purchase receipt. I had called them yesterday to check on telemetry receipt progress.

Today I was working in a steel building running engines where cell phone reception was not possible unless outside of the structure. At roughly 1100 I received an e-mail stating they had reviewed the telemetry, confirmed the fly away, and offered to repair the H. That is all that was referenced. I'm assuming I'll pay shipping.

Considering my H is over a month past the end of the warranty period I find the situation quite satisfactory. In fact, I'm grateful since Yuneec is not bound by anything after the warranty expires. I don't have any clue what others experienced but throughout everything surrounding this event I have been courteous and pleasant in my conversations with customer service. I have tried to provide as much information as possible in order to assist any possible product improvement team in gathering information that might benefit all going forward. Essentially I treated Yuneec personnel and the situation surrounding the incident the same way I prefer to be treated when I perform incident investigations in my line of work. I have found I get what I give. If I give crap, crap is what I receive.

Bear in mind there are a lot of people that experience a problem that become repeatedly negative in public forums. I don't know how they act in private conversations but if it's in any way similar to how they act in a public forum I could understand some reluctance in doing any more for them than absolutely required. When I first presented my problem to Yuneec I did not make any mention of them taking care of it, I simply reported the event and asked how I should proceed. Understand this is not my first encounter with Yuneec's customer service team. There was a problem I created, immediately fessed up to it, and they handled it for much, much less than they could have. I cannot speak for Yuneec's decision making process but perhaps honey is better than vinegar?

In any case I am grateful and have no reservations in continuing my support of Yuneec and their product line. They have, since well before I bought my first Yuneec product last year, had one of the best customer service programs in the multirotor business. 3DR had been right up there with them but they are gone now, which is something we should all lament. Both companies made up the top two in customer service. Yuneec has also been constantly increasing the functionality of the H via firmware upgrades. With some other brands that increase in functionality would require people to buy a new and upgraded system to obtain it. If you're a legal commercial operator NFZ's and height restrictions can be completely removed from the auto pilot. Nobody else that employs NFZ technology does that. Camera functionality has also been constantly improving with firmware upgrades.

Sure, we get some bugs in the firmware but if you've been in this game for a significant length of time you know that's the way it is with any maker that provides firmware upgrades. If you deal with computers everyday you know that every new update brings a new bug, and that bug may have been known before the update was released. We also have a few bugs with the people uploading firmware. Then we have the people that insist on pushing beyond design limits, where customer support may not be warranted, or even desirable if such support encouraged negative operational behavior. I don't see that kind of stuff changing any time soon. IMHO, Yuneec is doing things pretty much right and are working to become even better.

Thank you Yuneec.

Thanks Pat for taking the time to explain it all.

You're welcome.

GW brought up an extremely valid point in his post. There are and have been quite a few who's sole intent has been to denigrate the competition in any way possible. He called them trolls but they muddy the threads where people have a real issue. Makes it hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. I have a guy in another forum that is doing all he can to redirect an H thread into another "mine's better" debacle. His has a longer history of the same problem;)

Ultimately, our level of maturity and understanding of what we are dealing with impacts how we interact with those that can provide a solution to a problem. The more time we spend in thinking about how it should be handled before committing to action often makes for a better solution.

It can be difficult, but there are so many that have come to the H cold, having no previous experience, and don't understand they may have been the cause of the problem. Lacking comprehension of the state of the technology they might think our equipment should be infallible and able to compensate for their lack of experience. It helps to step back and review everything from all perspectives to help in drilling down into an incident to determine what may have occurred in that flight or in actions occurring long before that flight that might be a contributing factor. From my perspective Yuneec has covered more than a few events they did not need to as they weren't the fault of the manufacturer. That's part of my reasoning when I continue to praise Yuneec even after experiencing a problem. This thread has also provided some great reference material in how to retrieve a model from a tree, a most hostile landing location:)

Gotta love CarolinaDronz.

Robbi,
Just got off the phone with Frank at CarolinaDronz to obtain another H standard while my original goes out for repair. I have little use for IPS or RealSense so the standard works great. He sells the aircraft 2.4 antenna kits for $35.00 but he's giving me the kit as part of a new H purchase. Since most of my tools are in California and I'm in Oregon he's doing the install for $50.00, which I find reasonable. I'm purchasing another antenna kit for the broken H after it's repaired. He also offered a $50.00+ H backpack for $10.00 but I'm not into the hiking scene.

Since I'll be ending up with three cameras I thought it might be a good time to upgrade a lens or two so I'll be getting the new camera with a Pixaero 3.77mm lens. Costs more but having three all the same doesn't make sense. I'll be sending another out to be fitted with the Peau 8.something lens for inspection work.

Despite this fly away being a disappointment it's become motivational in prompting me to upgrade my equipment. Not cheap but the cost of doing business rarely is, especially in a competitive market.

Last edited:
I am happy with my H antenna upgrades so far. I want to add the third antenna on my ST16 since I hear Yuneec sells it now. I am having a hard time finding it does anyone have a link?

I am happy with my H antenna upgrades so far. I want to add the third antenna on my ST16 since I hear Yuneec sells it now. I am having a hard time finding it does anyone have a link?

Is this what you are looking for?

Frank and I discussed the third antenna on the ST-16 this morning. He mentioned Yuneec installs it on the Pro version -16's but not the standard version for some unknown reason. That third antenna is part of an antenna upgrade kit Frank carries. Itilite or something like that.

When I invested in a cheapo drone in order to get some practice a nearby tree switched on it's magnetism and the thing headed straight into it ... about 35/37 feet up sigh

I had a brainwave (okay maybe cerebral flatulence!!) and scoured all over the place looking for a friendly neighborhood engineer driving a truck with a 'cherry picker'

Found one in the form of the cable guy who was only too willing to help and get a close up of one of them drone thingies.

Lucky for me it was only a cheap thing as when he tried grabbing it with a pole and loop it dislodged and when it landed, despite my running frantically around in a circle arms outstretched trying to get my mitts beneath where I estimated it would land, it avoided me and bounced. Those rotors gave it some spring as it rose almost 6' in the air and was looking me straight in the eye. I will swear it was wearing a smirk as it again avoided my grasp and hit the ground a second time scattering parts in all directions.

I didn't let it fly again ...... sigh, it wouldn't entertain the thought anyway. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Rayray
Funny thing, my partner in Aerial Harmony is a "cable guy" and he owns a boom truck...in California. I'm in Oregon for awhile yet.

Frank and I discussed the third antenna on the ST-16 this morning. He mentioned Yuneec installs it on the Pro version -16's but not the standard version for some unknown reason. That third antenna is part of an antenna upgrade kit Frank carries. Itilite or something like that.

Is this what you are looking for?

Thank you I have seen that vid. My question is where to get the original Yuneec 3rd antenna they supply with the Pro ST16? TBH it may not be required I have never been out of range with my H I just like to know I have the best link possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech