Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Now this is a productive device.. STEADY DRIVE

I find it odd and disingenuous some of negative response of the Steady Drive.?

When you first purchased the H, I'm sure you were in some way intimidated and taking a careful approach by understanding the flying dynamics before you ventured to far.
Just as there are advances in new and aftermarket products, it's a matter of learning and adapting.
So for those who have one on the way, we will see the results and their opinions..

Not being disingenuous at all. Simply voicing a concern.

Also, the comparison made in another post to autopilot in full size aircraft is not analogous. Autopilot programs can be disengaged with the flick of a switch. The device in question is more similar to putting a limiting bar across the yoke that has to be physically removed before regaining full control of the aircraft.

Reactions: arruntus
Not being disingenuous at all. Simply voicing a concern.

Accepted

....physically removed before regaining full control of the aircraft.

So lets see, how many incidents were, and still are when people flying the H have full control?
you still have control with the attachment, the video shows you can easily go back to the neutral position and still fly.

Reactions: vernonda
The device in question is more similar to putting a limiting bar across the yoke that has to be physically removed before regaining full control of the aircraft.
What is so hard about pulling it off in an emergency? Nothing is locked down it is free to move and comes out easily. If it is that scary to you, then clearly this is your clue not to get one. I think @Ty Pilot makes it clear in his video that this tool is not for everybody. I certainly understand your reservations, even an experienced pilot would register a reading on the pucker meter first time trying it. However the simplicity of removal would certainly build confidence quickly.

Basically time will tell, so in the mean time, keep flying safely!:)

I respect everyone's opinion so; here is mine. ?

One of the aspects of multi rotors is the simple fact that a good percentage of multi rotor pilots who participate in the flying of a 'Drone', do so because there is satisfaction from 'operating' a miniature unmanned or RC flying machine. I know this satisfaction well and; as a flyer for 40 years having held waivers for over 55 pounds, and a turbine waiver (jet engines) for powered flight at speeds over 220 mph - yeah I know about the satisfaction of flight.

But there is the other side of the 'Drone' coin - the one where the mission is to get footage that does not look shaky and as if it was shot from a racing quad. Every flight mode in the Typhoon H series - CCC, POI, and the rest are also tools that allow the drone to do things to get certain shots. Steady Drive is no different. I suspect that folks who don't see the use in something like a Steady Drive, possibly also never use any flight modes such as CCC, POI or the rest - maybe they've done one a time or two just to see it work but otherwise it sits unused. But thats okay. I bet some who fly multi rotors also don't see a need for ND filters because to them the video looks fine. Thats fine too. These are all tools for videography that are not necessary to get video but are mandatory to get the best shots and not everyone is after that.

The Steady Drive is simply a tool with a very specific purpose. There are times when I need to fly full manual. If I am shooting Real Estate, that is not the time I would use Steady Drive, because it is a motion tool, and photography (especially the work I do) is very close in, near trees and other houses, so I want stick control so I can move in all directions.

As I mention in the video, Steady Drive is for experienced pilots - those not only that can fly confidently but also ones that can see instantly where a tool like this can be used to get a specific shot they have in mind. I know everyone does not have that capability or need.

OT: Have you drifted a car before? I’m from California and worst yet, I grew up in the Alameda military base, which is close to Oakland, Ca. And during my younger days, a culture was booming straight out of the Bay called “sideshow” in any rate, to complete a perfect doughnut, you put a stick to the pedal, with precise timing as you release the clutch, and if you time it just right, you will make a perfect 360 slide... [emoji23] while you sit out the window (for a good 10 secs)

Of course I do, I live in an area where it usually snows ?

But that's not it, following your example, i as a young man, with the motorcycle, we cut plastic bottles of 2 liters of drinks, we put them on the knee, multiple layers, grabbed with insulating tape and we were going to make tight curves at full speed supporting the knee. As it warmed up, and as it smelled, sometimes the trousers were broken, what brawls of the mother ????

But this does not mean that it not was dangerous, as well as having a device in the ST16S that blocks your control. I even think it would go against regulations or any safety plan. But leaving legal things aside, at any time you can lose a motor, a propeller, hit a bird, how much reaction time do you have ... and if you subtract from that little time what it costs you to remove that device? It's not clear to me.

By the way @Ty Pilot, I loved all these innovations, but there is something that I have not commented and I think, that I personally do not like, because handling a drone is a challenge, do it right I mean. And I think that to consider ourselves good pilots, we have to be able to do those maneuvers without the need for those manual devices. It's a matter of practice, it makes us grow as pilots. Another thing is, as you have said very well, the aids that the manufacturer gives us, with different types of flight, ROI, cable cam, smart mode, and so on. But none of these make us have a blocked stick, although I understand that it is removed quickly, but fast enough in case of emergency?

P.D.: One thing, the links to the product in the video doesn't work.

Reactions: Good time Charlie
By the way @Ty Pilot, I loved all these innovations, but there is something that I have not commented and I think, that I personally do not like, because handling a drone is a challenge, do it right I mean. And I think that to consider ourselves good pilots, we have to be able to do those maneuvers without the need for those manual devices. It's a matter of practice, it makes us grow as pilots. Another thing is, as you have said very well, the aids that the manufacturer gives us, with different types of flight, ROI, cable cam, smart mode, and so on. But none of these make us have a blocked stick, although I understand that it is removed quickly, but fast enough in case of emergency?

If you want to grow as a pilot, fly something besides a drone - this was my point in my response above. ;) I agree that flying a multi rotor is a serious business and needs to be taken seriously. I do. As I mentioned I am a 40 year RC pilot as well as a 107 commercial operator. The point I am trying to get across is that Flight Modes like CCC and devices like Steady Drive allow skilled operators to advance their 'videography' shots but they are not crutches for lack of 'pilot' skills. Just the opposite - I am saying the 'Average' drone pilot that has their hands full just flying a Typhoon H probably should not use advanced flight modes or devices while flying. Also, there is nothing 'locked' on and in fact; the SD can be pulled off just as fast as you can let the stick go.

I find it rather difficult to control camera movements and have both hands on the sticks. I rather liken this device to the trim controls on a full scale aircraft. It does not hinder the operation of the flight controls, but eases the burden on the pilot. The attention needed to maintain a constant steady right stick motion of the aircraft can now be shifted to controlling camera movement.

Innovation is the path to the future. Some will resist that path, while others will embrace it. The innovation here is that the SD is a simple yet effective tool that works better than the trim feature (CC) in the H480 and left out of the TH Plus.

As easy as I found this to use, a more experienced pilot will find this to be one of those “why didn’t I think of that” tools.

Skeptical about anything that blocks stick movement, seems like a really bad idea. At crap hits the fan moments I don't want anything possibly impeding the sticks or something I have to remove to make them fully functional again.

I'll simply start by saying that pilots having advanced knowledge and superior flight skills use their advanced knowledge to avoid putting themselves where their superior flying skills are necessary in order to save the day.

Being one of the people that test flew the prototype Steady Drive I can equivocally state the Steady Drive is in and of itself a precision flight control augmentation. It required but one flight on my 920+ to decide it could make some things easier. The 920+ has exactly the same control functionality as a Typhoon H and uses the ST-16. Bear in mind the 920+ already has Cruise Control, something I use regularly, but the Steady Drive opened up even more potential. With a little practice those trying one will find the same thing. For those flying the H Plus or 520, lacking Cruise Control, it provides a means to fly the aircraft in many ways with extreme precision in both speed and track, be that track a straight line or a curve, freeing the operator to provide more attention to flying the camera. Flying the camera is what a camera drone is all about. There's no point in putting a camera in the air unless you're going to use it and if you are going to use it, use it in the most effective manner possible.

Flying the camera with precision is much of what's needed to create scenes that turn out the best. If mapping or other types of photogrammetry are being performed, straight flight paths are critical. If GPS is down having a tool that allows you to set up a flight path that compensates for the wind without manual input is pretty darn useful. All of that and more can be done with the Steady Drive.

If you think you might be about to get into trouble the Steady Drive can be removed in less than two seconds and have your hand back in full control of the stick. If you're one that tends to put themselves into situations where 1 or 2 seconds is the difference between a successful flight and a crash there is no device that is going to help you, nor should you be seeking devices for that kind of help as that sort of issue is a judgement problem, not an aircraft problem.

As I said, I've flown, and will continue to fly, with a Steady Drive and like it, even though my aircraft already has built in Cruise Control. It has allowed me to do more than I could before without being concerned any stick movement would interrupt Cruise Control and force a re-flight to capture the scene over again. It's probably not for everyone but those that have missed out on having a cruise control function now have the ability to achieve it without having to buy a different aircraft. My only complaint with the Steady Drive is that it should have been put on the market several months ago ;) You folks that haven't had cruise control have had to wait a long time for something you should have had from day 1.

Last edited:
If you want to grow as a pilot, fly something besides a drone ..............
............ The point I am trying to get across is that Flight Modes like CCC and devices like Steady Drive allow skilled operators to advance their 'videography' shots but they are not crutches for lack of 'pilot' skills. Just the opposite - I am saying the 'Average' drone pilot that has their hands full just flying a Typhoon H probably should not use advanced flight modes or devices while flying. Also, there is nothing 'locked' on and in fact; the SD can be pulled off just as fast as you can let the stick go.

Totally agree. It requires little or no pilot skill to fly a drone, or more specifically, a GPS assisted multirotor. It does require good judgement and some skill to fly one with precision though.

Okay!!!!! I’m afraid of heights.. [emoji23] and not once dared to take a heli ride. [emoji23]

You brought memories of my first flight in a manned aircraft. I was maybe 7 or 8 years old and my grandparents had taken me to the CA State Fair. There was a guy giving helicopter rides in an open door Bell 47 (the MASH helicopter) for $5.00. $5.00 back then was like $75.00 is today and for a poor family it was a princely sum. In a moment of generousity never again given they sent me for a ride that scared the bejesus outta me as I just knew I would fall out of that open door any second, something I never, ever forgot. Next time I flew full scale was in another light private plane in 1986, which began my career in aviation.

Reactions: RPR
You brought memories of my first flight in a manned aircraft. I was maybe 7 or 8 years old and my grandparents had taken me to the CA State Fair. There was a guy giving helicopter rides in an open door Bell 47 (the MASH helicopter) for $5.00. $5.00 back then was like $75.00 is today and for a poor family it was a princely sum. In a moment of generousity never again given they sent me for a ride that scared the bejesus outta me as I just knew I would fall out of that open door any second, something I never, ever forgot. Next time I flew full scale was in another light private plane in 1986, which began my career in aviation.

Man! One of these days, I will ride on a heli. but I've done well in life in avoiding being on an aircraft.. LOL. Reasons, I've let go lots of opportunity to travel, outside of California..

If you want to grow as a pilot, fly something besides a drone - this was my point in my response above. ;) I agree that flying a multi rotor is a serious business and needs to be taken seriously. I do. As I mentioned I am a 40 year RC pilot as well as a 107 commercial operator. The point I am trying to get across is that Flight Modes like CCC and devices like Steady Drive allow skilled operators to advance their 'videography' shots but they are not crutches for lack of 'pilot' skills. Just the opposite - I am saying the 'Average' drone pilot that has their hands full just flying a Typhoon H probably should not use advanced flight modes or devices while flying. Also, there is nothing 'locked' on and in fact; the SD can be pulled off just as fast as you can let the stick go.

I find it rather difficult to control camera movements and have both hands on the sticks. I rather liken this device to the trim controls on a full scale aircraft. It does not hinder the operation of the flight controls, but eases the burden on the pilot. The attention needed to maintain a constant steady right stick motion of the aircraft can now be shifted to controlling camera movement.

Innovation is the path to the future. Some will resist that path, while others will embrace it. The innovation here is that the SD is a simple yet effective tool that works better than the trim feature (CC) in the H480 and left out of the TH Plus.

As easy as I found this to use, a more experienced pilot will find this to be one of those “why didn’t I think of that” tools.

I don't contradict either of you, because I totally agree. Is it difficult to control the aircraft and at the same time the camera? Yes. Does not having an FPV camera make the process even more difficult? Yes. I think the idea is a good one and it makes it easier for us to manoeuvre? Yes. The only thing I'm saying is that as it's a physical and mechanical limitation, and as you explain very well in the video, it has a point of danger because you have physically limited the movements of that stick, and that's what I don't like. Of course I don't take away your merit and I'm grateful that people like you implement, or create things to make things easier for us.

I'm going to introduce another point in this conversation that maybe some illuminates you because I'm saying what I say. It can be helpful for more than one. And it is nothing other than how we use the sticks, how we take the transmitter.

Most people take the transmitter like this, moving the sticks only with their thumbs. They have to hold the weight of the transmitter.

Others handle the sticks with two fingers and although it's hard to get used to it, it cost me quite a lot, you make much more precise movements.

I go further, taking the sticks with two fingers and not having to hold the weight of the transmiter with the rest of the fingers, this makes you free the rest of the fingers to use the controls of the camera. For that use a desk or a transmiter tray. It must have lateral supports to support the edge of the hand, which rests the hand and leave free movement of the rest of fingers.

For those of you who haven't used it, it may never seem like a hassle, another piece of junk to carry, but really handling the transmitter is a wonder. The precision you get of movements allows you to do things that only 1 finger per stick is much more difficult. Taking into account the dimensions of the ST16S, where you can support the singing of the hands without tray, using the sticks with two fingers and using the rest to handle the camera is made very easy with a little practice.

I think that something as simple as taking the transmitter one way or another, or using a tray or not, can make the difference between better control of the aircraft. I don't know if I've explained well what I mean :rolleyes:

Man! One of these days, I will ride on a heli. but I've done well in life in avoiding being on an aircraft.. LOL. Reasons, I've let go lots of opportunity to travel, outside of California..

If you get the chance, fly in a helicopter, for me it's like an unfulfilled dream. And someone who is also afraid of heights tells you that. Fear, that a long time ago left me blocked, without being able to move. How did I partially solve it? Climbing. It is incredible that today, I approach a height of more than 10 m and I'm still afraid, vertigo, but the moment I tie the rope, everything disappears and I can be quietly hung in a precipice of more than 100 meters without problem. The fact of having the rope tied is what managed to remove much of the fear that I have at heights, not everything, but enough as crossing hanging pedestrian bridges, see through the transparent floor of bridges hanging on cliffs, etc..

I don't know if this advice will work for you, because since you say you're 103 years old, you've still been caught a little older to start climbing ? ? ? ?

I totally agree with the aspect of full control, and that comes with experience, then you move on to more challenges whether they are big or small. Most experienced pilots of drones have flown rc helis and most will agree are very difficult to master vs a drone with gps. The whole steady drive concept is to perfect video. When you achieve that level of flying and fully understand it, it is an excellent tool and in time I would likely give it a try

I think @Ty Pilot is going to reprimand me for saying this.?
I've known him now for 2 years, we met here on the forum, also found out we were just 45 minutes away from each other.
We try to meet each week, not only to discuss the H's and it's capabilities but also events on this forum.
One thing I will brag about Ty, he is/was a master when it came to R/C Planes. He was a contributor for, I think 5 R/C magazines?
With a waiver he has flow R/C jet at 85lbs, yes with real miniature jet engines. He's also designed R/C jets, helped a major airline manufacture in a wind tunnel issue with one of their prototypes. I could go on and on.
TY would not design a product that would enhance a catastrophic event.
Safety is paramount in all his thoughts while flying and designing!
Dudes, this guy is a smart cookie!
Why am I saying this? Credentials, he know what he's doing!

Last edited:
I had to go back and watch the video from the first to fully understand that all this back-n-forth conversation was about. I thought it was genuinely a new Flight Mode (something added into the app etc) because I only watched a portion from 8:20 till about 10:00.

I think this device is excellent and plan to try it out first hand. I do have one suggestion (leaving it here for debate)....

I'd like to see the Steady Drive actually slide down over the control stick so that you could use it to push and pull the control stick in it's nearly full range of movement and easily adjust on the fly. This would make it's design more technical and of course manufacture more complicated but it could allow for more flexibility etc of the device.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Regarding the safety aspect of the SD, it is not mechanically fixed to the controller, it simply lays in the gimbal well. The control stick itself is left open but with the stick extension removed and added to the SD guidance stick.

If you sense a need to remove the SD you only need to put two fingers on the SD guidance stick to lift it off the gimbal well. From that point you can just drop it or put it in your pocket. The main stick still has enough length to be hand driven even with the stick extension removed by either a pinch or thumb flyer. If you turned the ST-16 over the SD would likely fall out of the well by itself. Once you’ve gotten yourself out of your predicament you could allow the aircraft to hover and install the extension on the main stick again if you want. In use the SD requires less than 2 seconds to remove. Just lift and drop.

As mentioned by TyPilot and myself, it takes a bit of practice to get used to it, which should be initially done in more open areas. I’m not sure we’ll ever “master” it as the more you use it the more things you’ll find you can do with it. It’s like a gift that keeps on giving. When I first used a prototype the initial flight was done in a country residential setting and I had no problems with it on, or removing it to fly my 920 using the main stick without the stick extension.

When I received the prototype for testing I was not informed which stick it should be used on so I tried it on the left stick first and the right stick second. I think Ty wanted to learn how modelers would deal with it in a worst case scenario, like obtaining one without a video or pictorial covering its use and just slapping it on the transmitter. Even without instructions I had no problems with it but was a bit uncomfortable at first with it placed over the left stick. It felt a bit weird bot to be directly controlling thrust and yaw at first. That discomfort quickly departed. The teal “ah-ha” moment came when I used it on the right stick where a whole lot of potential became evident.

The only thing I didn’t like with the prototype was what was done with the stick extension. As the prototype used an aluminum shaft on the SD instead of the upper portion of the stick extension, you left the stick extension on the bench unless you put it in your pocket. I thought it was rather nice to see Ty changed the production units to use the top of the stick extension instead of the aluminum barrel piece. Should you remove the SD in flight you can remove the stock extension from the SD and reinstall it in the stick while the aircraft hovers.

I agree with Phaedrus that use of a TX tray makes for a more precise flyer. Precision aerobatics competition well established those using a tray consistently placed higher in the standings. Good thumb flyers using neck straps also placed well while those that used no TX support fared the worst. When flying a multirotor that requires the operator to fly both the aircraft and control a camera, those without a tray, either holding the TX or using a neck strap, are at a disadvantage compared to those with a tray as the TX needs to be supported well enough to divert your hands from the flight controls to deal with camera controls. Those that fly precision position inspection work have likely found that out already.

I do disagree with some about the safety aspect of the SD. Those that could get into trouble using one, IMO, fall into a couple of categories.

One is the newbie that has yet learned to fly snd not developed a mastery of their transmitter and control functions. For them anything can and will get them into trouble as they haven’t yet developed the basic flight skills necessary to safely control the aircraft.

Another is the impulsive flyer that does not plan their flight. They don’t survey the flight area before launch, they flitter from here to there without concern for obstacles or people. They are not “ahead if the airplane”, in planning their next moves before the aircraft arrives at its current location, instead reacting to what the aircraft is doing “now”. They often don’t have clue how close their aircraft is to objects.

The last is the person that tends to fly in extremely close proximity to trees and structures or in small spaces. They may be people that think a multirotor should be used for macro photography. They run into stuff all the time without any help from a flight control augmentation device.

None of the above need any assistance from a secondary device to crash their aircraft. They have plenty of experience doing that on their own.

IMHO, the SD is like a TV channel. If you like what you’re watching you keep watching it. If you don’t, change the channel. Those that see the benefit of an SD can buy and fly one. Those that can’t or feel they present a safety hazard should not. Newbies need to learn their controls before adding optional control functionality. If you don’t understand “the basics” a new widget won’t make you better. The SD is a tool, one that allows the aerial imagery operator to obtain more consistent control of the aircraft while manipulating the camera controls. It also allows executing flight profiles that would be more difficult without the device. For those that don’t have Cruise Control it provides a means to obtain it and overcome the manufacturer’s failure to provide it. In a way it’s similar to an auto pilot where you input a flight plan and the auto pilot flies it. At any time you desire or need to hand fly you disengage the auto pilot. With the SD disengagement means you lift it off the flight controller. Reaching out to flip a switch to disengage an AP or to remove the SD takes about the same amount of time and effort. If you have and use Cruise Control you already know it takes a second or so of stirring the sticks to exit Cruise Control without having an SD.

For the record, I get nothing from my support of the SD. I support it because I like the extra functionality it provides, when I elect to use one. Sure, I received mine last year at no cost but the production units are a little nicer than the prototype, something I don’t find hard to deal with at all. I don’t feel there is a safety hazard, in fact I find the neck strap on the ST-16 to be a greater hazard as it can apply pressure to a stick when you move around, inducing unwanted and unexpected aircraft movement at the worst possible time. Those that have experienced this condition know what I’m talking about.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hodgepodge