Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Now this is a productive device.. STEADY DRIVE

If you want to grow as a pilot, fly something besides a drone - this was my point in my response above. ;) I agree that flying a multi rotor is a serious business and needs to be taken seriously. I do. As I mentioned I am a 40 year RC pilot as well as a 107 commercial operator. The point I am trying to get across is that Flight Modes like CCC and devices like Steady Drive allow skilled operators to advance their 'videography' shots but they are not crutches for lack of 'pilot' skills. Just the opposite - I am saying the 'Average' drone pilot that has their hands full just flying a Typhoon H probably should not use advanced flight modes or devices while flying. Also, there is nothing 'locked' on and in fact; the SD can be pulled off just as fast as you can let the stick go.

+100 or whatever!! Honestly, after 50+ years of RC flying drones (except for racing quads) are boring to fly. But I never look to them for "fun" flying. My H+ is a tool designed to get a camera into the air. I am looking forward to getting my SteadyDrove since it is clear that it will provide a huge increase on the precision of placing the camera where it needs to be. One huge issue for me with the ST16S is that Yuneec uses very low end gimbals that lack and sort of tension adjustment. The sticks are very soft and hence very easy to fly precisely. The SD will help to mitigate that issue while opening up new levels of precision control!

Reactions: AH-1G
Regarding the safety aspect of the SD, it is not mechanically fixed to the controller, it simply lays in the gimbal well. The control stick itself is left open but with the stick extension removed and added to the SD guidance stick.

If you sense a need to remove the SD you only need to put two fingers on the SD guidance stick to lift it off the gimbal well. From that point you can just drop it or put it in your pocket. The main stick still has enough length to be hand driven even with the stick extension removed by either a pinch or thumb flyer. If you turned the ST-16 over the SD would likely fall out of the well by itself. Once you’ve gotten yourself out of your predicament you could allow the aircraft to hover and install the extension on the main stick again if you want. In use the SD requires less than 2 seconds to remove. Just lift and drop.

As mentioned by TyPilot and myself, it takes a bit of practice to get used to it, which should be initially done in more open areas. When I first used a prototype the initial flight was done in a country residential setting and I had no problems with it on, or removing it to fly my 920 using the main stick without the stick extension.

When I received the prototype for testing I was not informed which stick it should be used on so I tried it on the left stick first and the right stick second. I think Ty wanted to learn how modelers would deal with it in a worst case scenario, like obtaining one without a video or pictorial covering its use and just slapping it on the transmitter. Even without instructions I had no problems with it but was a bit uncomfortable at first with it placed over the left stick. That discomfort quickly departed.

The only thing I didn’t like with the prototype was what was done with the stick extension. As the prototype used an aluminum shaft on the SD instead of the upper portion of the stick extension, you left the stick extension on the bench unless you put it in your pocket. I thought it was rather nice to see Ty changed the production units to use the top of the stick extension instead of the aluminum barrel piece. Should you remove the SD in flight you can remove the stock extension from the SD and reinstall it in the stick while the aircraft hovers.

I agree with Phaedrus that use of a TX tray makes for a more precise flyer. Precision aerobatics competition well established those using a tray consistently placed higher in the standings. Good thumb flyers using neck straps also placed well while those that used no TX support fared the worst. When flying a multirotor that requires the operator to fly both the aircraft and control a camera, those without a tray, either holding the TX or using a neck strap, are at a disadvantage compared to those with a tray as the TX needs to be supported well enough to divert your hands from the flight controls to deal with camera controls. Those that fly precision position inspection work have likely found that out already.

I do disagree with some about the safety aspect of the SD. Those that could get into trouble using one, IMO, fall into a couple of categories.

One is the newbie that has yet learned to fly snd not developed a mastery of their transmitter and control functions. For them anything can and will get them into trouble as they haven’t yet developed the basic flight skills necessary to safely control the aircraft.

Another is the impulsive flyer that does not plan their flight. They don’t survey the flight area before launch, they flitter from here to there without concern for obstacles or people. They are not “ahead if the airplane”, in planning their next moves before the aircraft arrives at its current location, instead reacting to what the aircraft is doing “now”. They often don’t have clue how close their aircraft is to objects.

The last is the person that tends to fly in extremely close proximity to trees and structures or in small spaces. They may be people that think a multirotor should be used for macro photography. They run into stuff all the time without any help from a flight control augmentation device.

None of the above need any assistance from a secondary device to crash their aircraft. They have plenty of experience doing that on their own.

IMHO, the SD is like a TV channel. If you like what you’re watching you keep watching it. If you don’t, change the channel. Those that see the benefit of an SD can buy and fly one. Those that can’t or feel they present a safety hazard should not. Newbies need to learn their controls before adding optional control functionality. If you don’t understand “the basics” a new widget won’t make you better. The SD is a tool, one that allows the aerial imagery operator to obtain more consistent control of the aircraft while manipulating the camera controls. It also allows executing flight profiles that would be more difficult without the device. For those that don’t have Cruise Control it provides a means to obtain it and overcome the manufacturer’s failure to provide it. In a way it’s similar to an auto pilot where you input a flight plan and the auto pilot flies it. At any time you desire or need to hand fly you disengage the auto pilot. With the SD disengagement means you lift it off the flight controller. Reaching out to flip a switch to disengage an AP or to remove the SD takes about the same amount of time and effort. If you have and use Cruise Control you already know it takes a second or so of stirring the sticks to exit Cruise Control without having an SD.

For the record, I get nothing from my support of the SD. I support it because I like the extra functionality it provides, when I elect to use one. Sure, I received mine last year at no cost but the production units are a little nicer than the prototype, something I don’t find hard to deal with at all. I don’t feel there is a safety hazard, in fact I find the neck strap on the ST-16 to be a greater hazard as it can apply pressure to a stick when you move around, inducing unwanted and unexpected aircraft movement at the worst possible time. Those that have experienced this condition know what I’m talking about.

^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^^

Ok I'm going to go "lazy" here.... how/where do we order one? I've watched various portions of the video and didn't see that info noted.

TIA :)

I don't contradict either of you, because I totally agree. Is it difficult to control the aircraft and at the same time the camera? Yes. Does not having an FPV camera make the process even more difficult? Yes. I think the idea is a good one and it makes it easier for us to manoeuvre? Yes. The only thing I'm saying is that as it's a physical and mechanical limitation, and as you explain very well in the video, it has a point of danger because you have physically limited the movements of that stick, and that's what I don't like. Of course I don't take away your merit and I'm grateful that people like you implement, or create things to make things easier for us.

I'm going to introduce another point in this conversation that maybe some illuminates you because I'm saying what I say. It can be helpful for more than one. And it is nothing other than how we use the sticks, how we take the transmitter.

Most people take the transmitter like this, moving the sticks only with their thumbs. They have to hold the weight of the transmitter.

View attachment 16448

Others handle the sticks with two fingers and although it's hard to get used to it, it cost me quite a lot, you make much more precise movements.

View attachment 16449

I go further, taking the sticks with two fingers and not having to hold the weight of the transmiter with the rest of the fingers, this makes you free the rest of the fingers to use the controls of the camera. For that use a desk or a transmiter tray. It must have lateral supports to support the edge of the hand, which rests the hand and leave free movement of the rest of fingers.

View attachment 16450

For those of you who haven't used it, it may never seem like a hassle, another piece of junk to carry, but really handling the transmitter is a wonder. The precision you get of movements allows you to do things that only 1 finger per stick is much more difficult. Taking into account the dimensions of the ST16S, where you can support the singing of the hands without tray, using the sticks with two fingers and using the rest to handle the camera is made very easy with a little practice.

I think that something as simple as taking the transmitter one way or another, or using a tray or not, can make the difference between better control of the aircraft. I don't know if I've explained well what I mean :rolleyes:

If you get the chance, fly in a helicopter, for me it's like an unfulfilled dream. And someone who is also afraid of heights tells you that. Fear, that a long time ago left me blocked, without being able to move. How did I partially solve it? Climbing. It is incredible that today, I approach a height of more than 10 m and I'm still afraid, vertigo, but the moment I tie the rope, everything disappears and I can be quietly hung in a precipice of more than 100 meters without problem. The fact of having the rope tied is what managed to remove much of the fear that I have at heights, not everything, but enough as crossing hanging pedestrian bridges, see through the transparent floor of bridges hanging on cliffs, etc..

I don't know if this advice will work for you, because since you say you're 103 years old, you've still been caught a little older to start climbing [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

I do disagree with some about the safety aspect of the SD. Those that could get into trouble using one, IMO, fall into a couple of categories.

Friend PatR, this statement is, at the very least, very daring. I'll explain why. You say that the ones we see in a security problem in this device fail in a couple of categories. Well, it's just the opposite. You don't have to be an expert or experienced pilot to see that a device that blocks the direction control of the aircraft and guides the aircraft in a single direction and only allows to increase the speed of the same, without allowing the aircraft to move laterally, can only be considered as an attack on flight safety. There is no other way to see it. That yes, if you consider it to be a controllable risk, because it can be removed in a very short time and you assume it, agree, but that is not why it ceases to be a risk, because you do not have absolute control of the aircraft at all times, something that by the way we are forced to have.

This reminds me of something, you who are pilots of manned aircraft and you are older than me, just as you have lived it or at least you have heard about it. What was done in the past to keep the direction of the aircraft on long journeys? Something that would allow the pilot to rest without having to grab the control stick at all times? They were physical devices, even in some cases ropes that fixed the stick in a position and allowed the pilot to rest. At that time there was no other technology, but as soon as the risk to control was thought of, it was immediately banned. This is exactly the same case.

And when it can be dangerous?, have you given very good examples, not checking the flying area, flying very close to objects, etc, something that can only be blamed as a pilot error, but and the dangers or situations that can not be blamed on the pilot? Mechanical failures or changing weather conditions for an instant? That also happens, losing a propeller, a collision with an object, bird or whatever, burning an engine, an arm loosens, or the bench of an engine, a gust of wind very strong when you pass by the side of a canyon, and so on. There are many situations in which the pilot, although very experienced, can not control or preview initially and despite this, having that device installed makes it impossible to take immediate control to control the situation, is a physical device, is not software, is not part of the controller that could automatically deactivate the functions that prevent problems to regain control.

I think it's perfect that you like the device, I don't think it's so good that we put anyone's resume to say that the curriculum is good or bad, even more so when nobody has doubted that person, but black is black, white is white, and although this device is gray, it is still what it is. A device that blocks the control of the aircraft and fiscally prevents you from having total control until you remove it.

P.D.: Forgive me, I don't want to be stubborn, but for me it's so clear that I can't think of anything else. That if, there could be a solution, instead of being carbon fiber, a material that does enough force on the stick to keep it in position, but in case of emergency allows the stick to move freely even if it is doing a little more force than normal. With that I think everyone happy :)

P.D.2: PatR, don't change my name, ArrUnTuS is a very nice name, I'm not Phaedrus, which is also a very nice name ? ??

P.D.3: @RPR Did you say something? I don't see anything new in the answer you've given, has it gotten lost along the way? ?

Reactions: Good time Charlie
Friend PatR, this statement is, at the very least, very daring. I'll explain why. You say that the ones we see in a security problem in this device fail in a couple of categories. Well, it's just the opposite. You don't have to be an expert or experienced pilot to see that a device that blocks the direction control of the aircraft and guides the aircraft in a single direction and only allows to increase the speed of the same, without allowing the aircraft to move laterally, can only be considered as an attack on flight safety. There is no other way to see it. That yes, if you consider it to be a controllable risk, because it can be removed in a very short time and you assume it, agree, but that is not why it ceases to be a risk, because you do not have absolute control of the aircraft at all times, something that by the way we are forced to have.

This reminds me of something, you who are pilots of manned aircraft and you are older than me, just as you have lived it or at least you have heard about it. What was done in the past to keep the direction of the aircraft on long journeys? Something that would allow the pilot to rest without having to grab the control stick at all times? They were physical devices, even in some cases ropes that fixed the stick in a position and allowed the pilot to rest. At that time there was no other technology, but as soon as the risk to control was thought of, it was immediately banned. This is exactly the same case.

And when it can be dangerous?, have you given very good examples, not checking the flying area, flying very close to objects, etc, something that can only be blamed as a pilot error, but and the dangers or situations that can not be blamed on the pilot? Mechanical failures or changing weather conditions for an instant? That also happens, losing a propeller, a collision with an object, bird or whatever, burning an engine, an arm loosens, or the bench of an engine, a gust of wind very strong when you pass by the side of a canyon, and so on. There are many situations in which the pilot, although very experienced, can not control or preview initially and despite this, having that device installed makes it impossible to take immediate control to control the situation, is a physical device, is not software, is not part of the controller that could automatically deactivate the functions that prevent problems to regain control.

I think it's perfect that you like the device, I don't think it's so good that we put anyone's resume to say that the curriculum is good or bad, even more so when nobody has doubted that person, but black is black, white is white, and although this device is gray, it is still what it is. A device that blocks the control of the aircraft and fiscally prevents you from having total control until you remove it.

P.D.: Forgive me, I don't want to be stubborn, but for me it's so clear that I can't think of anything else. That if, there could be a solution, instead of being carbon fiber, a material that does enough force on the stick to keep it in position, but in case of emergency allows the stick to move freely even if it is doing a little more force than normal. With that I think everyone happy :)

P.D.2: @RPR Did you say something? I don't see anything new in the answer you've given, has it gotten lost along the way? ?
Tomorrow I will show you video's I have been practicing with the SD, this I think will ease your concerns.
You are able to change the direction of the H at any given time instantly and stopping without removing it! This is not only a point and fly!

Reactions: arruntus
There is something you are missing @arruntus and perhaps it is because of our language difference or maybe in the video I talk too fast (I know I do sometimes) ?

But; the SD does NOT block or lock the stick. The SD was designed to also rotate so one can make directional changes at will. Not only that but the slider can be set with no tension or a little tension or a lot of tension - it is adjustable. Also, your hands are not hand-cuffed behind your back - you are actually flying even when the Steady Drive is being used so as with normal flight if you see you need to slow down or turn or stop - there is nothing prohibiting any of this. I can perform a flight with Steady Drive that you would never know I was using it because it is that fluid when you want it to be.

Another one of my early testers @DCH made a valuable contribution in making the adjustment very smooth so that you can make speed adjustments on the fly - just like we do by hand.

As I state in the end of the video, and has been stated here by many that have actually had their hands on one - it has a LOT of uses.

I realized early on that this would look counter intuitive to a lot of people, and as I suspected that is being borne out here. However, as I have watched time and time again, a simple 'in person' demonstration or even a flight that is hands on and it all becomes crystal clear.

Over the next few months I will make more videos and I am sure those that are getting the SD's will have their own thoughts and it will be very telling what we are going to see and hear. One thing is for sure operators who are after the most precise camera movements have instinctively seen this for what it can do and they have understood what the shortcomings in flight are and see how the Steady Drive will overcome those areas.

I suspect if I could transport you here, right now, and I took us over to my flying field, put a fresh battery in my Plus and take off and put on a three minute demonstration (including things I have not shown yet;) ). Then landed and hand you the controller - in about 12 seconds you would be grinning from ear to ear and you would probably have a new take.

Last edited:
Thanks for addressing that as I was going to do the same after reading Arruntus’ post. The SD is not limited to a single direction as it can be rotated at any time to alter speed and course. It can be used for a singular function but it’s most useful for combining more than one directional function, something difficult to do well with factory Cruise Control. So what I see here is a lack of comprehension in how it functions. What I also see is resistance to something different from what people have been accustomed to. An age old condition where people fear and resist change, in a universe where the only constant is change.

I stand by my statements referencing who would most likely have trouble when using one as statistically those same people are the ones that experience the most incidents without any outside help. We can see this for ourselves in the incident posts where they tell us of their inexperience and lack of flight skills, impulsiveness in flying where they should not have flown (indicative of an attitude of “it can’t happen to me) and lack of pre-flight planning.

Many do things with their systems and aircraft before they have any understanding of them (“I just got my new H, H+, 520 and updated the firmware...” and it goes downhill from there) and screw them up before the first flight or they did things without ever reading the instructions and got into self induced trouble. The latter is demonstrative of an impulsive person that lacks self control or a forward thinking thought process.

Next you have the instant gratification group that will have a go at anything once to capture a moment of “hey, look at me” excitement. Those are the same people that break bones and bodies doing stuff before they understand what is involved, without any advance practice. Mountain biking, jumping motorcycles, hang gliding, multirotors, doesn’t matter. If they see it might have a thrill or garnish some attention they go for it. The macho attitude.

The pattern of incidents has been consistent from day one of the YuneecPilots forum, and many others

Multirotors are incredibly easy to fly, requiring little or no skill to do so. Despite that it’s incredible that so many people manage to crash something that will fly itself if left alone. Sure, all the advertising says that anyone can fly one, no experience necessary. The advertisements don’t assure that any and everyone will be any good at it, even as simple as they are to fly. For that to happen a couple of functioning brain cells, some relatively good judgement, and a little practice is necessary.

Last edited:
Yep. I posted this in the other thread:

I am always amused anytime somebody takes the initiative to design and thoroughly test something how little time it takes for people who have not laid eyes on it to start posting about everything that is wrong with it.

Multirotors are incredibly easy to fly, requiring little or no skill to do so. Despite that it’s incredible that so many people manage to crash something that will fly itself if left alone. Sure, all the advertising says that anyone can fly one, no experience necessary. The advertisements don’t assure that any and everyone will be any good at it, even as simple as they are to fly. For that to happen a couple of functioning brain cells, some relatively good judgement, and a little practice is necessary.

This is why I love Christmas. All the great crash videos on the 26th!!

Reactions: Jal7884 and PatR
Yep. I posted this in the other thread:

I am always amused anytime somebody takes the initiative to design and thoroughly test something how little time it takes for people who have not laid eyes on it to start posting about everything that is wrong with it.

So true. If I hadn’t already used one I would have said something like “looks interesting, let’s see how it works out” instead of dealing with naysayers that don’t have a clue.

So true. If I hadn’t already used one I would have said something like “looks interesting, let’s see how it works out” instead of dealing with naysayers that don’t have a clue.
As a card carrying Naysayer, of the NNSU (National NaySayers Union) let me say that naysaying is good and has its place. It can add vitality and a sense of reality to a discussion, dialogue, or discourse. However, good naysaying needs to be founded in fact or experience, it cannot be clueless conjecture. There is there is no place in any discussion for a clueless naysayer! That's just bad form, ...and as uncouth as farting in an elevator!?

Reactions: PatR
Well, I have compression problems with the English, it's known to everyone :rolleyes:

Watching the video I understood that if it is fixed, if it is not so and you can move it, I apologize, if I said that I find it useful except for that "supposed" blocking of the control.

Now I want to see a video of exactly how it works, not how the drone flies, that I already have in my head, but how the device fixes the position of the stick and how it can move. Please, someone can record a video for all to see? especially me ?

@Ty Pilot, I tell you, I really wish I could teleport there and you could give me a practical class, I always enjoy learning from a person with more km than me. And I repeat, if I have to apologize 300 times I do, it is not a problem for me because at no time have I had bad intentions.

P.S.: Unfortunately, and apparently, this time I can't blame the translator, I throw it in my eyes :(

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I just saw the video again and it is clear that it can rotate in all directions......... sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry ?

I didn't understand what you were saying, I apologize to all of you. And I do it without problem because as a child I was taught that it is more a man who sincerely asks for forgiveness than the one who does not.

Now things change a lot........ even if it is still an impediment, if it allows us to quickly correct trajectories even if the device is in place, and that in case of emergency is necessary, and hence my previous reticence.

P.D.: Can I use a little excuse to say I'm sick? (unfortunately it is true). I have my head a little somewhere else and not to see the video again to avoid making a mistake, it was a mistake.

No need to apologize; this subject was bound to come up and I am somewhat glad it did because it gives us a chance to more thoroughly discuss the topic. When I produced the video I wanted to keep it as short as possible, otherwise no one would watch ? but at the same time there is detail that is not explained visually but is in the script as I talk.

I will see if I can get one of my local buddies to come and hold a camera on me as I fly and give as close to a demonstration as I can for a future video.;)

Reactions: arruntus
Now I want to see a video of exactly how it works, not how the drone flies
This is a good point. @Ty Pilot is mostly showing what you can do with the SD and the smooth results. However he only focuses on the mechanics of the SD for about 30 seconds: from 3:00 to about 3:30. This is a short visual section of how it physically works, however it is quite simple so it only needs 30 seconds to show how it fits into the gimbal well. If you repeat this portion of the video a few times it should be clear how easily if fits into place and how easily it is removed.

@arruntus

There is nothing to forgive. At first glance it doesn’t make a lot of sense, but I was lucky that I got to see it firsthand and actually use it right after seeing it demonstrated.

I understand your safety concerns and any good pilot will have those at first glance. I am also hoping your health issues are not too serious and will be resolved quickly.

Okay!!!!! I’m afraid of heights.. [emoji23] I have 2 cousins who are commercial pilots for Hawaiian Air, a friend who owns a tourist helicopter ride in Hawaii. I take sleeping pills to knock me out during domestic flights, and not once dared to take a heli ride. [emoji23]
Oh ya gotta take that Kauai's mountain ridge tourist flight that climbs to top mountain, then barely clips over the razor thin top sitting in the ft seat... the visual of ground that suddenly disappears is awesome... very cool visual effect, tricks the eyes when not expecting.

@arruntus
I have a 2:14 video waiting to finish rendering. Dang if I didn't forget to turn on the H video camera.?
I noticed while flying the video was off, so I have only 3:13 to edit instead of the total flight duration of 12+ minutes.?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apalomba