Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Obstacle avoidance

Doesn't asking the question show the willingness to learn. In my humble opinion, it seems to me that instead of replying to the question a rebuke of the poster or beginners seems to be the reply, even when an answer to the question would have more brief. And really, only the poster can prevent the jabs, IMHO.

Often times what looks like a 'jab' to you is often the realization of how these craft/electronics have evolved and how unfortunate it is that often (means not always) pilots just starting out will rely on these advances without first learning to fly. I am also a part 61 pilot and the analogy for me would be; the ability for a pilot that has only taken ground school and never flown buys a new high tech airplane that all he has to do is get in, put on a seat belt and punch in the destination and then hit the 'go' button. All well and good until something goes wrong and the pilot has to fly and land the plane.

In the years I have watched this drone (I hate that word) industry grow, I can't tell you how many times I have seen crashes related to a 'feature' not working and then the pilot flies it into the ground or obstacle. I was very disappointed that the FAA in the U.S. allowed 'pilots' to get their commercial (107) ticket by taking a small written test, and never even flying or ever had owned any type of RC aircraft. Just take a test and you are now 'qualified' to fly commercial and earn money flying in complex environments. Thankfully, we don't do that for full size aircraft and vehicles.

When asked, I have always strongly recommended that new owners first by a cheap toy drone with no automation and really learn to fly it in all orientations. Be able to walk around with it while flying 'nose in' and react to changes and obstacles while everything is reversed in your mind. No altitude hold, no GPS, etc.. A few will do this and become very proficient, many will not. We've all seen the videos: Buy a new hi-tech drone, take it home, go out to the back yard, turn everything on, stand IN FRONT of the drone and hit the takeoff button. Start to move the sticks and Bam, run into someone/something. Take it back where they bought it and scream what a defective piece of crap or get on some forum and ask if anyone had one with the same 'defect' where the drone didn't respond properly to input and was uncontrollable. This type of situation will continue as new features and bells & whistles are added. Most are welcome and make good safety/back-up but none should be 'relied on'. OA is one of those that is very misleading; even by it's own acronym derived from 'Obstacle Avoidance'. It's really not is it? It only covers a very narrow field in the very front and at a very short distance. Sorry to ramble on..
All of the above posted IMHO.

Doesn't asking the question show the willingness to learn. In my humble opinion, it seems to me that instead of replying to the question a rebuke of the poster or beginners seems to be the reply, even when an answer to the question would have more brief. And really, only the poster can prevent the jabs, IMHO.

If the question is worded well it definitely can show the willingness to learn. In most cases a rebuke to a question in not called for. We should hope for responsible adults to know how to communicate in the best possible manner.

Reactions: Rubik and 10-8
If the question is worded well it definitely can show the willingness to learn. In most cases a rebuke to a question in not called for. We should hope for responsible adults to know how to communicate in the best possible manner.
That is not the case though on every type of forum I've ever been on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
puputus