Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Peau 3.97 lens install.

I can feel a change in luck coming...? Got the lens housing and sure enough, it was glued to the board. One of the screws came out and the other...well it didn't have any thing for a screwdriver to bite into, almost like they stripped the head when they installed it. So, went to Home Depot to pick up some Dremel drill bits and got home only to find I didn't have a collet to fit. We've all been there, right? Started chipping the glue away with an Exacto knife, but no longer feel like doing any more tonight. Anyway, hoping for better luck tomorrow after I get the right size collet and drill the head off the screw.

Reactions: jcommstudios
is this with the ir cut filter or with out ??
what would i order
edit with pic

View attachment 14461
thetrecker
I believe you have the correct link. If not it is below. The lens is fairly inexpensive at $80 plus shipping and tax. We did the change out ourselves but Peau will do it for $150. So the lens, installation and focusing would run you about $230 if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. It is a rather tedious install and you have to be very careful not to damage the sensor. There are YouTube videos on doing the procedure. Takes about an hour and a half if you know what you are doing. Still a bargain to have Peau do it at $280. Here is a link: 3.97mm f/2.8 82d HFOV 16MP (No Distortion) – Peau Productions

I can feel a change in luck coming...? Got the lens housing and sure enough, it was glued to the board. One of the screws came out and the other...well it didn't have any thing for a screwdriver to bite into, almost like they stripped the head when they installed it. So, went to Home Depot to pick up some Dremel drill bits and got home only to find I didn't have a collet to fit. We've all been there, right? Started chipping the glue away with an Exacto knife, but no longer feel like doing any more tonight. Anyway, hoping for better luck tomorrow after I get the right size collet and drill the head off the screw.
robport
Take your time. You are on the right track. Good luck!

thetrecker
I believe you have the correct link. If not it is below. The lens is fairly inexpensive at $80 plus shipping and tax. We did the change out ourselves but Peau will do it for $150. So the lens, installation and focusing would run you about $230 if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. It is a rather tedious install and you have to be very careful not to damage the sensor. There are YouTube videos on doing the procedure. Takes about an hour and a half if you know what you are doing. Still a bargain to have Peau do it at $280. Here is a link: 3.97mm f/2.8 82d HFOV 16MP (No Distortion) – Peau Productions
have to get it sent to the uk and do it myself $14 postage so thats fine but have 2 choices 1 with a visible light ( ir cut ) filter 2 no filter wondering what 1 you have

robport
Take your time. You are on the right track. Good luck!
Thank you very much.

After much grinding, scraping, drilling and gnashing of teeth, I got the screw out and the old lens housing off the board...and nothing looks like it's been destroyed yet. The new one has two alignment pins on it, but they don't align at all with the board or the sensor. Do you know if I'm supposed to cut them off or could this be the wrong lens housing?

have to get it sent to the uk and do it myself $14 postage so thats fine but have 2 choices 1 with a visible light ( ir cut ) filter 2 no filter wondering what 1 you have
@
thetrecker
Choose Filter Option on Lens:: 3.97mm - Visible Light (IR Cut) Filter [$80] their SKU # for the part is GP39728 . This is right from my existing order on Peau's site. You may also need the lens barrel. My tech ordered it after we realized it was needed for the CGO3+'s we modified. Email them a picture of your camera lens exterior with the filter off so they can see what lens housing you have on your H. You don't need to disassemble anything. They just need to see the color of the existing lens housing.

Thank you very much.

After much grinding, scraping, drilling and gnashing of teeth, I got the screw out and the old lens housing off the board...and nothing looks like it's been destroyed yet. The new one has two alignment pins on it, but they don't align at all with the board or the sensor. Do you know if I'm supposed to cut them off or could this be the wrong lens housing?
@robport Here is an install video. You can call Peau and ask them. I will contact my tech and see what he did.

@
thetrecker
Choose Filter Option on Lens:: 3.97mm - Visible Light (IR Cut) Filter [$80] their SKU # for the part is GP39728 . This is right from my existing order on Peau's site. You may also need the lens barrel. My tech ordered it after we realized it was needed for the CGO3+'s we modified. Email them a picture of your camera lens exterior with the filter off so they can see what lens housing you have on your H. You don't need to disassemble anything. They just need to see the color of the existing lens housing.
thanks and good shout on the housing would not be fun to find out i needed it later

Thank you very much.

Oh yes, the alignment pins. I recall that the alignment holes in the board were obscured by the adhesive. If you look very closely, you should see them and be able to clear them.

@robport Here is an install video. You can call Peau and ask them. I will contact my tech and see what he did.
Their installation was very easy, which is why I tried it. They didn't have to deal with a glued on lens or a lens housing glued to the board, or in my case, a screw I had to grind out.

I contacted Peau and they said you don't use the alignment pins and to just cut them off (the holes in the board aren't even a close match). I still need a replacement screw so I can get everything stable and parallel before final focus, but at least I have it working now. That plastic camera front (the one that holds the filters), bound a little bit on the lens, pushing it out of alignment so it is crystal clear at the top of the image and fuzzy on the bottom. If I pull it off, it looks pretty good though.

My next quest is finding a replacement screw for the lens housing, since I had to destroy one getting it out. If necessary, I can fly it as it is and take pictures, even before I take it apart again when I find a screw.

Reactions: jcommstudios
The head's up information that was left out of that video is what ended up costing me a camera...

Their installation was very easy, which is why I tried it. They didn't have to deal with a glued on lens or a lens housing glued to the board, or in my case, a screw I had to grind out.

I contacted Peau and they said you don't use the alignment pins and to just cut them off (the holes in the board aren't even a close match). I still need a replacement screw so I can get everything stable and parallel before final focus, but at least I have it working now. That plastic camera front (the one that holds the filters), bound a little bit on the lens, pushing it out of alignment so it is crystal clear at the top of the image and fuzzy on the bottom. If I pull it off, it looks pretty good though.

My next quest is finding a replacement screw for the lens housing, since I had to destroy one getting it out. If necessary, I can fly it as it is and take pictures, even before I take it apart again when I find a screw.
@robport Yes my tech said he had to get the screw out by using a screw extractor and got a replacement at a hardware store. Also he had to sand off the little pegs at the bottom that didn't line up. Sounds like you are almost there! Once you get it in place it's just about rotating it out of focus to one side then out of focus to the other side and then find the sweet spot in the middle.

@robport Once you get it in place it's just about rotating it out of focus to one side then out of focus to the other side and then find the sweet spot in the middle.
Yes but the tiniest of rotation will make a significant difference. I recommend taking a full resolution (4000x3000) photo of a distant scene at each adjustment, keeping track of the adjustment position for each photo. Then view the photos on a high resolution (4k) screen to select the best result. This is the fun part.

I've been back into the camera about 6 times retightening screws, but the major change was when I found a slightly proud spot on the video board from drilling the old mount screw out. The front cover was a concern too, as it is very easy to get it impinging on the lens a little bit which throws off focus in a part of the image. It's been quite a haul, but I have something now. The colors are definitely much more real than the purple tinged ones I had before. Now, though, I get vertical lines in every blown out part of a picture or video. I can avoid that with settings though. Thanks for all your help and encouragement!

I've been back into the camera about 6 times retightening screws, but the major change was when I found a slightly proud spot on the video board from drilling the old mount screw out. The front cover was a concern too, as it is very easy to get it impinging on the lens a little bit which throws off focus in a part of the image. It's been quite a haul, but I have something now. The colors are definitely much more real than the purple tinged ones I had before. Now, though, I get vertical lines in every blown out part of a picture or video. I can avoid that with settings though. Thanks for all your help and encouragement!

Were you getting the dark vertical lines in blownout highlights prior to the lens change?

I ask because my CGO3+ is in for repair and the lens/sensor is being replaced as the sensor is faulty. That is the symptom that I was experiencing. Thankfully it is covered by warranty.

I don't specifically remember it, but it's too late for a warranty claim now...lol. I can live with this, that is...if it keeps working.

I don't specifically remember it, but it's too late for a warranty claim now...lol. I can live with this, that is...if it keeps working.

Yes, a little late now. Fixing stills was not a problem and I would not use video that had a lot of it present, but knew there was a problem. The tech took one look at mine and agreed there was a sensor problem. Hope to get it back soon. Flying is fun, but getting photos and video was my reason for getting the TH.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval