Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Please test Wizard follow me with changing elevation.

Reaction score
Could one of you lucky owners please confirm that the H follows you up and down as well as around when you have a chance please? And is it quick? The manual talks about a 3 mph limitation for the Q500.

Oh and seriously, am I really limited to turtle speeds above 5000 feet?

I think you need a new source for information. The Q500 has a max follow me speed of about 22mph but it maintains a static altitude unless you change it as you fly.
Turtle mode is unrelated to distance, altitude or anything else.
The H has a follow me speed of about 43mph max and will follow changes in altitude of the ST16 or the Wizard.

What am I missing?

From the quick start manual:

13a993d.jpg

From the quick start in regards to the controller:

IMPORTANT NOTE: In Follow Me function, the
aircraft will maintain a constant altitude and cannot
detect obstacles. Pilots who change their altitude by
for example, moving to higher ground, during flight
should be mindful of this.

The follow me mode for the Wizard has more limitations than using the ST10 or the ST16. The Wizard has a 50 meter range which is consistent with a small transmitter. vidwiz is getting the H and the Q500 mixed together in this post making it difficult to answer some of his questions. Do you own any of these products? There are lots of Youtube videos which demonstrate the use of the Wizard and it's capabilities.

Thanks for the conversation Steve. 'Twould seem the st16 has limitations as well as supposedly the wizard follows up and down whereas with the controller not. Only reason Q500 is mixed in the post is because Yuneec has it mixed in the wizard manual. Questions really arent that difficult for someone who actually owns the craft. Have yet to see a video of wizard in action with follow me tracking altitude changes, if you have a link would love to see it. Does not appear to do it in this one:

The problem of determining actual operation is difficult with the limited info, typos, and possibly outright inaccurate published manuals, different remotes, and possible differences once the real sense is invoked. That's why I ask for clarification from an actual early user as these things aren't generally returnable.

Thanks for the conversation Steve. 'Twould seem the st16 has limitations as well as supposedly the wizard follows up and down whereas with the controller not. Only reason Q500 is mixed in the post is because Yuneec has it mixed in the wizard manual. Questions really arent that difficult for someone who actually owns the craft. Have yet to see a video of wizard in action with follow me tracking altitude changes, if you have a link would love to see it. Does not appear to do it in this one:

The problem of determining actual operation is difficult with the limited info, typos, and possibly outright inaccurate published manuals, different remotes, and possible differences once the real sense is invoked. That's why I ask for clarification from an actual early user as these things aren't generally returnable.

The Follow-me mode uses GPS and I believe the altimeter. The Wizard and the ST16 have both, so the vertical and horizontal tracking will be active with both units. I have not seen any videos at this time which demonstrate the altitude following. I will be trying that as soon as my order comes in, but that could be another week. I agree with the errors in the manuals. They should have had a better proofreader before publishing.

I've been now testing H with both ST16 and Wizard, and it seems its maintains static elevation. The manual of the H is mentioning in conjuntion with the wizard that there is 'altitude follow funtion' on/off, but manual is not mentioning anywhere what it does.

When you switch on Watch Me mode on, the H is not ascending/descending with you. The follow me / watch me only works for the horizontal plane. What is even worse is that the camera is not 'Watching' you either, because as you eg. keep descending, you move away (down) from the viewfinder, because the camera tilt doesn't account for the fact that you have moved lower from your starting position. It keeps tracking and following your position very well, but the only problem (and this is a huge deal-braking problem) is that you are vertically 50meters lower. Meaning that it films nice mountain views over your head.

This is really disappointing for me as my main reason for purchasing the Typhoon H was for the Watch Me function. My sports is such that you go downhill, and filming that action is impossible if the drone doesn’t understand and follow also in downwards/upwards directions…

The wizard has a barometer on board, the ST16 does not. I haven't tested this but the wizard manual states that it will follow elevation.

upload_2016-7-5_20-54-15.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine doesn't. Need to test the altitude follow function. Should be turned on as default?
Or does alitude follow function mean that it maintains altitude?

In gyro108 posted image it says that switching between watch me / follow me is press the magic button quickly. In below image from H manual it says press right and left at the same time. Yet another example of contradicting info in manuals.

upload_2016-7-5_23-22-16.png

Possibly different functions for different craft, the instructions I posted were for controlling the Q500 with the wizard. Because of the extra functions required for the H, they may have had to remap some of the functions. I agree though that it is confusing if you have to remember the functions and use the wizard with both aircraft.

This is really disappointing for me as my main reason for purchasing the Typhoon H was for the Watch Me function. My sports is such that you go downhill, and filming that action is impossible if the drone doesn’t understand and follow also in downwards/upwards directions…

..I agree that would be a real bummer, as that is one of the reasons I purchased the Typhoon over the competitor...I haven't had a chance to test the wizard yet as I'm still getting familiar with the st-16....
anyone out there tested this yet? .......maybe 'Lacross' just got a bad Wizard?

I noticed H change altitude just by raising the wizard from ground level to reaching above your head.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Have yet to see a video of wizard in action with follow me tracking altitude changes, if you have a link would love to see it. Does not appear to do it in this one:

At 2:54 in the video, the text says "Thanks to the Wizard, the drone adjusts its altitude as well."

Having a barometer or not (in the case of the ST16) should be irrelevant since GPS will provide altitude information.

I filmed today a mountainbike trail ride with very small elevation change, maybe 30-40m overall. It was maybe 700-800m long. The trail is really flat in the beginning, and towards the end it descends more.

I had the H setup really low at the beginning, and at the end-point it was substantially higher. And even after stopping it didn't make any attempt of lowering its position.

Even more annoying is that the Watch-Me mode doesn't seem to keep track of the Wizard as it descends. Difficult to explain, but from this video you see how the rider is going outside of the frame becasue the drone is not descending and the camera tilt is neither point more downwards. I reason this is becaue it films the relative position assuming constant elevation.

SEE VIDEO:

Reactions: Adamday331

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval