Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

POI coming to H520!! (?)

Reaction score
Hey all,

I came across this on the Dronecode site:

Structure Scan · QGroundControl User Guide

QGC (this is what Datapilot is, just repackaged) now supports circular structure scans. They are also working on PX4 firmware to match the mission planning side of this. Presumably when that becomes available, which seems like it should be soon, Yuneec will incorporate it for us on the H520. From the Dronecode website - "This feature requires new firmware support in both PX4 and ArduPilot. At this point the QGC release is a bit ahead of the firmware support releases. PX4 support should be available within a few days. ArduPilot support soon thereafter."

Anyone know how long ago this was posted?

Reactions: arruntus and Graham
I had heard that POI or ROI as they might call it was coming very soon, including spiral surveys.

Reactions: Graham
Hey all,

I came across this on the Dronecode site:

Structure Scan · QGroundControl User Guide

QGC (this is what Datapilot is, just repackaged) now supports circular structure scans. They are also working on PX4 firmware to match the mission planning side of this. Presumably when that becomes available, which seems like it should be soon, Yuneec will incorporate it for us on the H520. From the Dronecode website - "This feature requires new firmware support in both PX4 and ArduPilot. At this point the QGC release is a bit ahead of the firmware support releases. PX4 support should be available within a few days. ArduPilot support soon thereafter."

Anyone know how long ago this was posted?

From what I could find, release v3.3.2 was "released" April 16 (assuming 2018 as earlier releases were showing 2017)... by dagar.

Interesting things:
  1. For camera based scans the camera is always pointed directly at the right angles to the surface which it is capturing images for.
  2. The vehicle will fly a pattern such that images fully cover the structure starting from "Base layer alt" up to "Structure height"
  3. Scan Distance - The amount of distance to fly away from the structure
  4. Trigger Distance - The distance between each camera trigger.
  5. Gimbal - Gimbal angles you want to use for the scan.
Speculating a little, until it comes out we won't really know how to use it, but we can get an idea.

1. We have a gimbal that rotates 360 degrees, so this makes the drone's movements much easier as it will be able to aim at the right target all the time. This is a fundamental breakthrough that few drones have.
  2. A flight by "layers" or different heights, or as Kev says very well, spiral surveys. Repeat the flight plan until the scan is completed on the entire vertical surface of the object to be scanned. It's a huge breakthrough, something that very few softwares do.
  3. This option and the following two are fundamental to calculate the overlap of the images. The overlap of the images is essential so that the photogrammetry programs can then sew the different images together. For this purpose, the parameters of the camera must be taken into account (in principle with our cameras, E50 and E90, they are fixed so that they are known, resolution, focal length, etc.) and height (or in this case horizontal distance to the object to be scanned). We will have to calculate this by hand or will the program do it? or will we have to make some tables to calculate it more or less?
  4. The trigger interval for overlap is key.
  5. The angle of the camera greatly complicates the calculations to calculate the overlap, but to have this option for this type of flights and for "normal" survey flights is to gain in facilities for the pilot.
A lot more doubts arise but it is clear that it will be a very interesting and desired function. After so long waiting, it's great news, it's exciting news because of the versatility it can have. Let's hope we don't have to wait too long :D

Note: Even though we don't know when they're going to release it yet, we deserved a news like this :p

Note2: I forgot and something I think that although it is not used very often can be very interesting and that I know, some of you will correct me, no software has, linear scans by distance. I mean, imagine a very long building and we want to scan its facade, but it has other buildings on the sides. We can't make a flight of this kind because the drone would collide with the other buildings. A variation of this tool might allow us to scan longitudinally or vertically only that face of the building. Many and very interesting possible options :D

Last edited:
Interesting things:
  1. For camera based scans the camera is always pointed directly at the right angles to the surface which it is capturing images for.
  2. The vehicle will fly a pattern such that images fully cover the structure starting from "Base layer alt" up to "Structure height"
  3. Scan Distance - The amount of distance to fly away from the structure
  4. Trigger Distance - The distance between each camera trigger.
  5. Gimbal - Gimbal angles you want to use for the scan.
Speculating a little, until it comes out we won't really know how to use it, but we can get an idea.

1. We have a gimbal that rotates 360 degrees, so this makes the drone's movements much easier as it will be able to aim at the right target all the time. This is a fundamental breakthrough that few drones have.
  2. A flight by "layers" or different heights, or as Kev says very well, spiral surveys. Repeat the flight plan until the scan is completed on the entire vertical surface of the object to be scanned. It's a huge breakthrough, something that very few softwares do.
  3. This option and the following two are fundamental to calculate the overlap of the images. The overlap of the images is essential so that the photogrammetry programs can then sew the different images together. For this purpose, the parameters of the camera must be taken into account (in principle with our cameras, E50 and E90, they are fixed so that they are known, resolution, focal length, etc.) and height (or in this case horizontal distance to the object to be scanned). We will have to calculate this by hand or will the program do it? or will we have to make some tables to calculate it more or less?
  4. The trigger interval for overlap is key.
  5. The angle of the camera greatly complicates the calculations to calculate the overlap, but to have this option for this type of flights and for "normal" survey flights is to gain in facilities for the pilot.
A lot more doubts arise but it is clear that it will be a very interesting and desired function. After so long waiting, it's great news, it's exciting news because of the versatility it can have. Let's hope we don't have to wait too long :D

Note: Even though we don't know when they're going to release it yet, we deserved a news like this :p

Note2: I forgot and something I think that although it is not used very often can be very interesting and that I know, some of you will correct me, no software has, linear scans by distance. I mean, imagine a very long building and we want to scan its facade, but it has other buildings on the sides. We can't make a flight of this kind because the drone would collide with the other buildings. A variation of this tool might allow us to scan longitudinally or vertically only that face of the building. Many and very interesting possible options :D

One of the features I heard was coming was something called corridor survey, maybe this is your note 2, Arruntus!

Reactions: arruntus
i ask to french commercial if POI come on the H520 he answer me no, because the POI is already on the new H+, but it is interesting to have this POI on the H520

i ask to french commercial if POI come on the H520 he answer me no, because the POI is already on the new H+, but it is interesting to have this POI on the H520

A salesperson is not a reliable source at all, especially when he or she draws his or her own conclusions. We are bored of hearing contradictions of information coming directly from workers in Yuneec, don't pay any attention to what a commercial says........... is much more reliable the information that comes to us from people who are in the forum and have access to the beta versions.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
looks like roi and or poi is going to be supported by h520-g via 3dr site scan software subscription only. just checked the price of the software. ouch 900.00 usd by the month or 9000 usd per year.

Last edited:
I hope you're joking, otherwise......

Where did you get the information?

as for the pricing for the software to be used with the h520-g can be found here. Pricing | 3DR
now for the roi can be found here New in Site Scan: Vertical Scan and Panorama | 3DR
located under plan flights 3d in the little video windows ad for the software

Terrence, it appears that they have reached an agreement for closed and specific software for that version of the H520 and that it seems to meet all the security and functionality specifications required to obtain the government "seal".

Although it has been a collaboration between 3DR and Yuneec, it seems that software is the exclusive subject of 3DR. That's why it has those advanced features that attract a lot of attention. Price is not one of them :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Very interesting options of vertical scan and 3D scan. Let's see if the guys in Switzerland give us the same :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval