Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

preorders for h520-g are online

Reaction score
well vertigo drones has the updated h520-g listed for preorder at a steep 6 grand. h520-g is only compatible with the e90 for now. yuneec working on expanding the camera options. well it comes with 4 batteries, dy5 charger, and pelican case plus st10c without onboard lcd screen. use with ipad only for video display.

well vertigo drones has the updated h520-g listed for preorder at a steep 6 grand. h520-g is only compatible with the e90 for now. yuneec working on expanding the camera options. well it comes with 4 batteries, dy5 charger, and pelican case plus st10c without onboard lcd screen. use with ipad only for video display.
Interesting, didn't even realize a G version was in development. Quick read, targeted for Government, new firmware, and incorporated FW with 3DR. The RC using an iPad is nice but very odd to see it on a Yuneec.

Overall, great news, that's good sign to get attention of Government and to spec a platform for them. Impressive!
LOL... with it being a Govt version, I'm surprised it's not higher than $6K.

Last edited:
Holy mother, Yuneec is taking it to another level, and it’s looking like this will be Yuneec’s year if the “G” will blow the competition away! At $6k that is a good package price. Can’t wait for the field review.

and in the meantime existing H520 owners are left with nothing
Sounds like other than physical platform, the FW, OS and electronics will be different... preventing the ability for the H520 Owners to capture & adopt the benefits developed out of the G Version.

okay just have to wait to do a main board (pending if it fits on the h520 frame without ordering a new internal frame.)and gps swap when those parts are available for order. Lets hope they will be made available for end users. not to forget to buy the correct controller. I need a 3d printer to make a external charging adapter for the new controller battery. I do not think I can get away with my current mod to use stock st16 ec2 battery with the st16s.

okay just have to wait to do a main board (pending if it fits on the h520 frame without ordering a new internal frame.)and gps swap when those parts are available for order. Lets hope they will be made available for end users. not to forget to buy the correct controller. I need a 3d printer to make a external charging adapter for the new controller battery. I do not think I can get away with my current mod to use stock st16 ec2 battery with the st16s.
there is no chance that Yuneec will enable this to happen

now what is interesting is that the h plus is noncommercial based yet the main replacement parts such as mainboard and gps and arms are not available to end users. but the commercial based h520 you can get the equivalent parts.

While looking for drones to use in the Army Corps of Engineers for civil and hydrographic survey work and came across this on 3DR site. Might be a Yuneec / 3DR mashup as 3DR's software doesn't work on Android at this time. Yuneec 3DR H520-G | 3DR

Wow, that's quite a price when you consider that 3 months will get you Pix4D Mapper which gets access to Pix4D Cloud, and 2 local licences.

3DR software looks good but I doubt it's that good!

Questions on new H520G platform... new platform FW using PX4 and 3DR OS which is coded via Mac OSX APM, the new controller ST10C coupled with an iPad is using what for FW: Android like previous models, OSx, or iOS?

The advertisement stipulates: The Yuneec 3DR H520-G is a small, robust hexacopter that works exclusively with 3DR Site Scan and Site Scan — Esri Edition.

Does this indicate it's only compatible with Site Scan or will it operate with several other iPad mapping, 3D, survey, SAR, and various Autonomous iOS Apps. Part of the new architecture & design was very encouraging to utilize many specialized programs and services long proven market leaders.

The standard H520 and controller is just beginning to be recognized by 3rd party tools & developers; which is great for Yuneec & H520.

With the flexibility in the H520G, I'm hopeful it will be receptive to many tools and not just a limited vertical market product.

I'm wanting to add a H520, waiting to see which is a better direction.
With recent news hints above, maybe a return of larger platform like H920 ver3 will be another option.

Doug,

I was recently contacted by someone deep in government work for an opinion about Yuneec products, directed mostly towards the 520. That DJI was never brought into the discussion was telling.

They were quite interested in the new 520 offering as they hoped they could integrate the system’s PX4 platform with other similar coding already in use. 3DR code easily handles PX4 and PIX3D. 3DR and PIX3D, and Site Scan came together to achieve compatibility back in 2015, and Site Scan has been in use by government contractors fore some time. I can’t see where any of the three would have grown apart since then as Pixhawk and PX4 had been favored by government agencies prior to 3DR’s consumer drone/revenue management debacle. Data security will be a key component in the success or failure of the new 520 and we might presume Yuneec has shifted their focus from the consumer level to the much more demanding, and profitable, government sector, which is where 3DR has been focused for the past 3 years.

My best guess has Yuneec playing a vertical integration game.

Reactions: arruntus
Pretty much agree, but stirred on it too... sadly agree that the H520G is probably treking a narrow vertical market... diverting resources from current platform. The G’s advertisement spec’s essentially indicate that path and as you’ve pointed out; to meet Govt closed environment & security it pretty much demands a limited accessible platform.

This is probably an excellent move for Yuneec Corp, getting ahold of a Govt Contract in a young maturing market will most likely include all the Govt “service contracts” to instruct, maintain, and modify; at Govt rates, Yuneec Corp has the opportunity to make a lot more revenue than price of initial package.

It’s a bit sad if the G platform is so closed it limits 3rd party growth and uses high cost survey services beyond a profitable margin for the private sector small UAV business. This also limits the development that other shops might create due to lack of profit by larger market.

Forward looking, this might be the G version of a upcoming C (civilian) version that utilizes the G hardware, tablet based RC that offers much more openness in application development.

Also joining with PX4 & 3DR was a brilliant strategic move... removes the firmware security concern using USA circuitry and firmware, while reducing platform costs with reliable Chinese product.

Also great to hear you’ve maintained the recognition within the ranks and they reach out to the Ole’ Wise One... that says a lot.

It’s very limited and everything are handled in the abstract, as you might understand.

The big players partnered with or acquired remote cloud based data collection, storage, and processing services several years ago for multiple reasons. The military/government groups had their own methods and we both know how they loath change. If Yuneec wants to get onto that playing field they adapt to those methods and services or walk away from it forever.

It’s very limited and everything are handled in the abstract, as you might understand.

The big players partnered with or acquired remote cloud based data collection, storage, and processing services several years ago for multiple reasons. The military/government groups had their own methods and we both know how they loath change. If Yuneec wants to get onto that playing field they adapt to those methods and services or walk away from it forever.

I totally agree, I'm working on something similar, from the public sector and it's amazing to see how many systems they have old, but how they still work.................... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Either you adapt or you don't have anything to do and sometimes that adaptation is much more expensive than changing many parts of the system. But it is the game, if you like it well, if not............

I have just tried to connect SiteScan to my regular h520 and it does not want to.
It says it cannot join e90 network.

Look the way I see it there is nothing new in a H520-G bird in terms of hardware. It just seems to have different firmware, a less functional controller, the need to have an iPad and a huge subscription cost(min $900/month).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy