Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Pro with Real Sense possessed

Reaction score
Whats up guys? I’m new to the forum and see some great information here. So today like many other days I sent my bird up to get some shots of the Lake behind the house after seeing some Otters playing around near the spill way with my Phantom ( **Mod Edit I think he meant Typhoon**). I thought it would be great to use my 360’ pan to get some great footage while cruising. I fly out about 6600 feet and return home with no problem. When the bird gets close to home, it starts behaving as though the Smart mode is activated and avoidance is on. I couldn’t control it or stop it. No matter which way I toggled it just took full control. Finally it looks as though it’s going to go land near where I launched it, and BANG! Flat on its head like a pancake. Engines still running bird still whining. Broke 3 arms completely and totally detached the CGO3+ from the gimbal and drone itself. Yuneec inspected telemetry and determined it was a malfunction and send shipping labels to send in for a replacement. Anyone have a similar issue? And how was Yunnec in handling your unit? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally it looks as though it’s going to go land near where I launched it, and BANG! Flat on its head like a pancake. Engines still running bird still whining.
I would be very interested in the telemetry from that flight. Do you know how to access it and upload it?

Reactions: mastertek
I would be very interested in the telemetry from that flight. Do you know how to access it and upload it?
Good morning Steve! Sorry for the delay, I’ve been traveling for work and just got some down time. When I get back to my PC I’ll definitely forward it over to you. I couldn’t get the Android transfer to work on my MAC for some odd reason. My standard (H) flies like a dream. Haven’t had any problems with her the past 8 months. I was intrigued by the “Real sense” and purchased the Pro and 2 days in it ate a LiPo battery like nobody’s business. Then I loaded the second battery and it tore through that one in just 8 minutes. I took them home from the Lake after they had cooled and one of the two had puffed up to a dangerous size. So I immediately put it in a LiPo fire proof bag and got it out of my basement. Yuneec replaced it with no problem and declared it a “defective battery.” But I’ve noticed times also when I fly it, from take off, 15 sats and 5 minutes into a flight I get a low battery warning and I return it home and upon landing the **** thing has full power!? Yuneec seems to think I purchased a defective Unit and I actually couldn’t agree more. Have you had any experience with occurrences like this one Steve? Thanks for the reply brother.

There are a lot of variables that determine the battery warning. I got a warning just a few minutes into a flight while climbing straight up on a windy day. I stopped the climb and watched the H. It was dancing all over. I had climbed into some very high winds. The combination of high wind and climbing required more power than the battery could deliver which dropped the voltage very quickly. When I came down to 50' the batt rebounded to 15.5v and I landed after about 12 min in the air. So if your H is in a situation where 4 or more motors are drawing max current, the battery voltage will drop quickly. Near the end of a flight that can be a critical issue. If you fly a long distance downwind, the return trip could result in an autoland or even a motor shutdown if there is a sudden voltage drop. Once the battery gets below 14 v anything can happen even though the voltage will rebound after the load is removed.

There are a lot of variables that determine the battery warning. I got a warning just a few minutes into a flight while climbing straight up on a windy day. I stopped the climb and watched the H. It was dancing all over. I had climbed into some very high winds. The combination of high wind and climbing required more power than the battery could deliver which dropped the voltage very quickly. When I came down to 50' the batt rebounded to 15.5v and I landed after about 12 min in the air. So if your H is in a situation where 4 or more motors are drawing max current, the battery voltage will drop quickly. Near the end of a flight that can be a critical issue. If you fly a long distance downwind, the return trip could result in an autoland or even a motor shutdown if there is a sudden voltage drop. Once the battery gets below 14 v anything can happen even though the voltage will rebound after the load is removed.

Hey Steve. Thanks for the input. Those are all valid points that I have taken into consideration since buying my first Hex and learning the different flight behaviors from my DJI Quads. This was however a 75’ sunny day in GA. Wind may have been 2 mph if any. I have flown the Real sense about 20 flights and didn’t notice a change in the behavior until maybe 2 days before when it came in to land a “RTH” activation and when it got near the ground bounced and didn’t land and went backwards away from me at near full speed up into the air but I was able to manipulate the switches to regain control of it. I know we want to believe that these $1k+ pieces of equipment are near perfect, but i wish you could have seen how erratic she was. It was almost as if it was trying to do a last minute fly away on me after an unsuccessful landing. Whatever the issue, you are definitely right when you said it is “rare with Yuneec products.” Scared me to death Steve lol.

Whats up guys? I’m new to the forum and see some great information here. So today like many other days I sent my bird up to get some shots of the Lake behind the house after seeing some Otters playing around near the spill way with my Phantom ( **Mod Edit I think he meant Typhoon**). I thought it would be great to use my 360’ pan to get some great footage while cruising. I fly out about 6600 feet and return home with no problem. When the bird gets close to home, it starts behaving as though the Smart mode is activated and avoidance is on. I couldn’t control it or stop it. No matter which way I toggled it just took full control. Finally it looks as though it’s going to go land near where I launched it, and BANG! Flat on its head like a pancake. Engines still running bird still whining. Broke 3 arms completely and totally detached the CGO3+ from the gimbal and drone itself. Yuneec inspected telemetry and determined it was a malfunction and send shipping labels to send in for a replacement. Anyone have a similar issue? And how was Yunnec in handling your unit? Thanks in advance.

Lol no I actually meant Phantom Steve. I flew my P4S first and spotted Otters and decided to land it and use my H with the 360 pan feature and get a better shot of the Otters.

Yeah, that would spook me as well. It just seems like I see many posts of strange behavior from the H when the battery gets very low. I always plan to land as the voltage reaches 14.7. The RealSense likely adds an additional load. Some pilots have reported a minute or two less flight times and others have said there was no change.

Reactions: 2LT_ Branson

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy