Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Problem with Gimbal Calibration

Reaction score
I’ve recently upgraded from my original Typhoon H to the Typhoon H pro, and when I got the new drone in I went ahead and calibrated everything but to my surprise the gimbal consistently tilts the camera slightly to the left. Because of the type of filming I do, it is very important that the horizon be level since I pan and tilt the camera in different directions, but I can’t seem to figure out what is happening to this calibration.

- I’ve done the gimbal calibration multiple times in different areas inside and outside with everything dead level as checked with multiple bubble levels

- I’ve connected the drone to the GUI and made sure everything was even on screen then ran the calibration with no luck

- I’ve even run the calibration with the drone purposely tilted to one side so the camera is physically on the same plane as the drone itself, but again the camera still tilts slightly to the left

Every calibration I’ve done I’ve made sure to keep the tilt slider set in the middle, and I’ve re-run the other calibrations as well. Does anyone know what I might be missing or doing wrong? When I got this drone the camera was level, but it wasn’t till I ran that initial gimbal calibration that it started to tilt left. I would greatly appreciate any help in this, especially since I haven’t been able to fly these drones in a couple months due to repair wait times from Yuneec.

Camera Tilt 1.jpg

Camera Tilt Preview.jpg

If you haven't already try accelerometer calibration first then the gimbal. Of course all on level surface.

Bill W.

Reactions: Sureshot
I personally think this gimbal is trash. A gimbal shouldn't need calibration. It should be able to detect level point and keep the gimbal there. I have a gimbal for my gopro from hobbyking.....no calibration needed

Bill W.

If you haven't already try accelerometer calibration first then the gimbal. Of course all on level surface.

Bill W.
Thanks for the advice Bill. Unfortunately I've tried that a couple times with no luck. I'm really hoping it's something I can fix myself though as the repair wait time from Yuneec is so long.

Thanks for the advice Bill. Unfortunately I've tried that a couple times with no luck. I'm really hoping it's something I can fix myself though as the repair wait time from Yuneec is so long.

You can also try putting the pan switch up to F when doing the calibration , it fixed and issue where the whole gimbal would lock turned to the left, but not the the horizon level issue.. Pic included of how far off it was.

Attachments

• DSCF1852.JPG
    DSCF1852.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 49
Reactions: SamiN
I’ve recently upgraded from my original Typhoon H to the Typhoon H pro, and when I got the new drone in I went ahead and calibrated everything but to my surprise the gimbal consistently tilts the camera slightly to the left. Because of the type of filming I do, it is very important that the horizon be level since I pan and tilt the camera in different directions, but I can’t seem to figure out what is happening to this calibration.

Crazy for sure. With nothing powered on, does the cam tilt?

You can also try putting the pan switch up to F when doing the calibration , it fixed and issue where the whole gimbal would lock turned to the left, but not the the horizon level issue.. Pic included of how far off it was.
I haven't tried that yet but I will right now and see how it goes. Thanks for the advise.

Crazy for sure. With nothing powered on, does the cam tilt?
It does tilt a little bit to the left, but if I move it to the right then it tilts to the right. I still have my older Typhoon H and that camera does the same thing, but with no issue when it's powered on.

And I'm sure you tried gimbal calibration in more than one location.
Yes I have. I've done it inside my house, then outside in my yard, and I even tried it out in a wide open space without any obstructions. I just haven't had any luck with it yet.

It does tilt a little bit to the left, but if I move it to the right then it tilts to the right. I still have my older Typhoon H and that camera does the same thing, but with no issue when it's powered on.

also try removing the gimbal and camera, power up and down then replace and recaibrate

also try removing the gimbal and camera, power up and down then replace and recaibrate
I tried removing the gimbal and camera then recalibrated. It appears to have helped a little bit, but there is still some sideways tilt in there. I'm going to go out and fly it later on and see how things look from the sky. Thanks for your help though.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
I tried removing the gimbal and camera then recalibrated. It appears to have helped a little bit, but there is still some sideways tilt in there. I'm going to go out and fly it later on and see how things look from the sky. Thanks for your help though.

try this too when your ready to fly You can also try putting the pan switch up to F when doing the calibration

After I do my calibration I use the pain control and move it to where it's centered again works for me

My H started the camera tilt after only about 20 flights on it.Then the camera started spinning uncontrollably plus the tilt.
Tried everything I could read and think about to fix it.Finally called Yuneec and was told to send it in.After 2-1/2 weeks got
it back.After the 6th flight it started doing the same thing.My Q-500 & 4K fly perfect but not happy with the H.Also had to
fix the fan in the transmitter both times I have received it.

I personally think this gimbal is trash. A gimbal shouldn't need calibration. It should be able to detect level point and keep the gimbal there. I have a gimbal for my gopro from hobbyking.....no calibration needed

Bill W.
I'm personally fine with this gimbal. Most of the other gimbals I've used do a quick calibration during every initialization, the H gimbal seems to just quickly power on leaving a thorough calibration to the discretion of the operator. I see this as a benefit.

Greg H.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
Worked for me, thanks!

Bill W.

All good gimbals require calibration. Even my old Tarot GoPro gimbal passes through a cal cycle after power up. So does my Arris, Freefly Radian, and CGO-4. Periodic full calibration cycles are also needed.

Sounds like you got what you paid for with the HobbyKing gimbal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis