Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

purple 'angle' indicator, intermittent GPS and does not want to land!

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in need of the font of all knowledge on this forum.
My Typhoon H (RS) is around 16 months old, apart from my finger and switch troubles as a newbie and sweating a bit of blood getting software updates to take it has always been perfect in every way.

So, it has been in storage for a few months and I decided to take it out to film the summer equinox sunset reflected along a river here in Devon.

I cycled all four batteries, calibrated the accelerometer on my engineers plate, calibrated the gimbal, took it to the field and did a compass calibration which as usual took first time.

I then restarted ST16 and Typhoon, binding was quick HOWEVER my GPS despite having 20 visible sats did not want to lock on, I turned GPS off in the ST16 and back on, it locked on straight away!

I was getting a purple and white flashing light after several minutes of it standing there but went for a launch anyways. It lifted nicely, hovered rock solid. I put the legs up, put the legs down to land it and it would not descend, well it did but creeped down very slowly.

I then noticed I had a purple 'ANGLE' lamp on my ST16 top right corner of the display. I think it means angle mode no GPS? I was in angle mode, always am.

I hand caught it (don't know why people make such a fuss about that), killed the motors. Re did compass calibration.

Still getting 20 sats but it kept dropping GPS lock and then re-aquiring.

I left it standing for 20 min to let it build a GPS map but still no green light.

To be honest I am a little scared to fly it now in case I cannot get it back.

Any ideas guys,

Yes all the switches were in the right launch position and landing position, angle, obs avoid off etc.

I have had the typhoon sat in the conservatory (GPS transparent roof) for 25 min. It takes a while to initially lock but then drops out in almost exactly 6 seconds time after time, it then re-aquires after a minute or so before dropping lock 6 seconds later!!

I am considering hard resetting the tablet
Re-installing Typhoon and ST16 software, your thoughts chaps?

Last edited:
Couple things come to mind. You say it sat in storage for a few months, there is a chance that during this time small amounts of corrosion could have built up on electrical connections in the switch and it sounds like the sticks, or at least the left one.

First I would open Hardware Monitor and check every switch, lever and knob - make sure they move and respond freely and precisely as the device is moved.

Second If/when you find that the sticks are lagging, they will need to be cleaned with a Plastic safe contact cleaner, there are videos on YT showing this.

Couple things come to mind. You say it sat in storage for a few months, there is a chance that during this time small amounts of corrosion could have built up on electrical connections in the switch and it sounds like the sticks, or at least the left one.

First I would open Hardware Monitor and check every switch, lever and knob - make sure they move and respond freely and precisely as the device is moved.

Second If/when you find that the sticks are lagging, they will need to be cleaned with a Plastic safe contact cleaner, there are videos on YT showing this.
Hi Ty,

All checked preflight sir, just about to add an update to my OP

MC,

For a memory refresh, regarding your statement: "I was getting a purple and white flashing light after several minutes of it standing there but went for a launch anyways. "

Purple and white are desired!

Purple=Angle Mode
Flash White=ST16 has 10 or more satellites; the smart modes (follow, RTL, et al) are available.

Jeff

MC,

For a memory refresh, regarding your statement: "I was getting a purple and white flashing light after several minutes of it standing there but went for a launch anyways. "

Purple and white are desired!

Purple=Angle Mode
Flash White=ST16 has 10 or more satellites; the smart modes (follow, RTL, et al) are available.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the post, I added to my OP to clarify that it was losing GPS lock around 6 seconds after acquisition. The problem arose due to it dropping GPS seconds after launch. Although I dont think the loss of a GPS fix would influence the ability to land??!!

Hi all,
Well after wasting the best part of a day of my life installing the older version of the aircraft software and then installing the latest on top - no change!
Still, it makes a nice ornament!!!

mcbutler, i am having a similar problem with my bird. i had been flying it for about 3 months now with great success. recently, i tried swapping out the camera CGO3+ for a CGOET. easy interchangeable models, right. since that time i have had to update software and firmware (it was already at the latest release, but that is what Yuneec support said to do), then copy and create a new model. After this my compass needed calibration. It took several attempts to get it to stick but it may have been operator error. It has started reporting GPS lost. Needless to say I have been reluctant to fly. I have now found that it is taking several minutes to acquire enough satellites to engage the props. GPS drops out 5 or 6 times over the next 10 minutes after powering up the controller and the bird. have you had any success solving your GPS lot problem?

Hello all,

I am in need of the font of all knowledge on this forum.
My Typhoon H (RS) is around 16 months old, apart from my finger and switch troubles as a newbie and sweating a bit of blood getting software updates to take it has always been perfect in every way.

So, it has been in storage for a few months and I decided to take it out to film the summer equinox sunset reflected along a river here in Devon.

I cycled all four batteries, calibrated the accelerometer on my engineers plate, calibrated the gimbal, took it to the field and did a compass calibration which as usual took first time.

I then restarted ST16 and Typhoon, binding was quick HOWEVER my GPS despite having 20 visible sats did not want to lock on, I turned GPS off in the ST16 and back on, it locked on straight away!

I was getting a purple and white flashing light after several minutes of it standing there but went for a launch anyways. It lifted nicely, hovered rock solid. I put the legs up, put the legs down to land it and it would not descend, well it did but creeped down very slowly.

I then noticed I had a purple 'ANGLE' lamp on my ST16 top right corner of the display. I think it means angle mode no GPS? I was in angle mode, always am.

I hand caught it (don't know why people make such a fuss about that), killed the motors. Re did compass calibration.

Still getting 20 sats but it kept dropping GPS lock and then re-aquiring.

I left it standing for 20 min to let it build a GPS map but still no green light.

To be honest I am a little scared to fly it now in case I cannot get it back.

Any ideas guys,

Yes all the switches were in the right launch position and landing position, angle, obs avoid off etc.

I have had the typhoon sat in the conservatory (GPS transparent roof) for 25 min. It takes a while to initially lock but then drops out in almost exactly 6 seconds time after time, it then re-aquires after a minute or so before dropping lock 6 seconds later!!

I am considering hard resetting the tablet
Re-installing Typhoon and ST16 software, your thoughts chaps?

The GPS module is fairly straightforward to replace.

Before we head in that direction though please share what the terrain and circumstances were when you got the GPS errors.

For example, was the GPS almanac given time to update? Based on what you’ve said it was. We’re you in a location with good exposure to the sky? What altitude? Have you looked at the telemetry files?

BTW compass calibration needs to be performed rather quickly or it times out.

You can replace the GPS module itself - here's the part
Yuneec Typhoon H GPS Module

You may save a bit of time by getting the top shell with the GPS module
Yuneec Typhoon H Upper Cover with GPS Accessories

There is also a body of thought that it might be the flight controller causing some of the GPS issues. That's a rather pricey thing to replace though.

To remove the upper shell: You'll need a 1.5mm hex tool

The following video courtesy of @Steve Carr

Have you ever had a condition where all sensors are ready and it won't throttle up?

You can replace the GPS module itself - here's the part
Yuneec Typhoon H GPS Module

You may save a bit of time by getting the top shell with the GPS module
Yuneec Typhoon H Upper Cover with GPS Accessories

There is also a body of thought that it might be the flight controller causing some of the GPS issues. That's a rather pricey thing to replace though.

To remove the upper shell: You'll need a 1.5mm hex tool

The following video courtesy of @Steve Carr

Have you ever had a condition where all sensors are ready and it won't throttle up?

I’ve never experienced that although some report it may happen if you’re in a NFZ or you’re in Smart Mode and too close to the H.

On my very first attempted flight 25 months ago the motors would't start. To this day I'm not 100% sure why the motors failed to arm. Everything checked out and no airspace restrictions (I've flown from the very same place since). It is possible that the aircraft may have been within the circle but I had checked my switches in pre-flight so that shouldn't have been the cause. Just one of those things, maybe?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval