Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 Keeps Requiring Compass Calibration

There is only the compass, the wiring/connectors and the main board where it plugs in. It has to be one of those. Replacing the compass will narrow it down to the main board if it's still not working.

Thanks, I read in another forum where the compass could be permanently damaged if exposed to a magnet. While I was replacing the air frame, my compass was sitting close to the motors and a magnet tray I kept the screws in. Yuneec guy said he didn't think it would permanently damage it but could require calibration. I'm hoping the magnet exposure is the issue. Probably a long shot.

Hope that's it. I know the compass is sensitive to magnets when they are close. You could connect the Q to the GUI and see what the compass does as you rotate the bird. Then take a magnet and see how it affects the compass. Can't hurt since it's not working anyway.

Hope that's it. I know the compass is sensitive to magnets when they are close. You could connect the Q to the GUI and see what the compass does as you rotate the bird. Then take a magnet and see how it affects the compass. Can't hurt since it's not working anyway.

yea, good idea, I didn't think to look at direction when I had it put together. I've got it stripped down waiting for the new compass. I did notice my distance was way off. Yuneec said, "that's why you need a compass calibration". I'll try that when I put it back together if the compass still doesn't work. This is really puzzling because everything is working in the GUI with the exception of the message, "Compass calibration may be required. Yuneec says that will go away when I get the compass calibrated.

yea, good idea, I didn't think to look at direction when I had it put together. I've got it stripped down waiting for the new compass. I did notice my distance was way off. Yuneec said, "that's why you need a compass calibration". I'll try that when I put it back together if the compass still doesn't work. This is really puzzling because everything is working in the GUI with the exception of the message, "Compass calibration may be required. Yuneec says that will go away when I get the compass calibrated.
Don't wait to put it together to check it with the GUI. Check it now and after you change the compass while the top is removed.

The distance is calculated by the difference in the GPS between the ST10 and the Q500, so it will only work outside. Keep about 30' of separation to check it.

Ok thanks, I'll do that right now, I check the cable from the main board to the compass with my ohm meter and it's good, the connections look find.

Do you know the best way to get the foil over the gps as sticky as it was when I first put it on. would using a few dabs of silicon be ok. it came off a little too easily and I'm afraid it may drop down although once the quad is together, I don't think it can go far.

I don't think silicone will be good. I'd try some weather striping adhesive or double sided tap, like carpet tape.

This is a video of my problem, any help appreciated. I crashed the quad and replaced the air frame. While I was working on it replacing parts and waiting on the air frame, I had a few magnets and a magnet tray in the area. I wondering if a magnet can permanently be damaged by magnets??

It seems to me the green arrow is not very reliable when the Q is on the ground or close to the controller. It might work better further away. I presume the green arrow calculation is a combination of the Q's heading and the GPS co-ords of both to determine direction to the controller. It's purpose is to show the way home from a long distance away. When it's close, it's already home.

See what happens with the calibration when you install the new compass. Odds are in your favor I believe.

Thanks for the response, Yes, I don't think the green arrow test was really reliable other than it moved around. I'm wondering if the compass has moving parts in that little circuit board like a real compass. I can see where the magnets would possibly damage it or throw it off to the point where it can't be calibrated. thanks. I'm hoping for the compass's arrival tomorrow. I guess the GPS would be next but at some point I'll throw in the towel, ha.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Too early to make any judgments. There are no moving parts. It's all done electronically. If you do a test flight be sure to remove the camera.

Well, nothings ever easy. Installed the new compass and cable today and same results. blinking orange light in between whatever mode I'm in. I'm out of ideas other than tho send it to Yuneec which is probably cost prohibitive as this is the original Q500. But I would like to see it working. BTW. Tried flying with GPS off and the quad is totally uncontrollable. It seems the quad is looking for the controller. I'm wondering if an issue with the firmware could cause this. I ran the firmware by thru the quad thinking maybe it got corrupted but it didn't help. I'm wondering if I should re-run the Q500 firmware in again? Changing the motherboard would be too expensive so I'll call Yuneec tomorrow and see what they would want to take a look at it. the best scenery is they would crash it and upgrade me to a 4K, ha.

This problem is no longer about the most economically thing to do. That would be scrap this thing and buy something else. However I've declared war on this Q500 and it's kicking my *** so far.
Today I change out the main board and still, the exactly same problem, blinking orange light alternating with the mode light. So, I can change the GPS next or the receiver, after that, I will have change everything. GPS is receiving plenty of satellites and the receiver is working perfectly but, I don't know what to try next. I've never seen anything like this before.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my