Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 Keeps Requiring Compass Calibration

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently crashed my Q500, using "smart" mode I ran into a tree. I have replaced the shell and everything looks good in the Q500 GUI. My problem is that each time I power on my Q500, I get a yellow/orange flash indication a compass issue. I have done pretty close to 100 compass calibrations, yet each time it restarts after a successful calibration, it starts the yellow flash again. I have tried replacing the compass, yet have the exact same issue. Both my controller and Q500 are up-to-date with the latest firmware. I'm not sure what else to try.. When I try flying with the yellow/orange flash, the quad just drifts around terribly and is incredibly hard to control. I have many satellites, and the GPS shows ready. The strange thing is, if I disable GPS I can fly it just fine, albeit adjusting for wind and other factors manually. Any ideas??

Hello,

I recently crashed my Q500, using "smart" mode I ran into a tree. I have replaced the shell and everything looks good in the Q500 GUI. My problem is that each time I power on my Q500, I get a yellow/orange flash indication a compass issue. I have done pretty close to 100 compass calibrations, yet each time it restarts after a successful calibration, it starts the yellow flash again. I have tried replacing the compass, yet have the exact same issue. Both my controller and Q500 are up-to-date with the latest firmware. I'm not sure what else to try.. When I try flying with the yellow/orange flash, the quad just drifts around terribly and is incredibly hard to control. I have many satellites, and the GPS shows ready. The strange thing is, if I disable GPS I can fly it just fine, albeit adjusting for wind and other factors manually. Any ideas??
I'll take a guess here. With the GPS on, the Flight Controller is comparing the compass heading to the GPS heading while it's moving. If the compass is off the FC will try to compensate which causes the drift. With the GPS off do you see the Green Arrow?
In any case, there is obviously a problem getting the compass information to the FC. Inspect the connector where the compass plugs in with a good magnifier and see if the pins look proper. You can take a toothpick and move them a little to see if they stay in place. If it looks okay, the next call will be to Yuneec.

Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply! Your guess sounds about right. I can't remember if the Green Arrow was visible with GPS disabled or not. I know that I can see it with GPS on. I have the quad ripped apart so I can't verify with GPS disabled. I checked the Compass pins on the main board and everything looks good. In the Q500 GUI, the compass shows green. If I move the Q500 around while connected to the GUI, it does pop up a message that a compass calibration may be required. Also, in the GUI, I see a slight drift when the quad is not being moved. It slowly spins to the left..

I have emailed Yuneec support and will try calling them later.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply! Your guess sounds about right. I can't remember if the Green Arrow was visible with GPS disabled or not. I know that I can see it with GPS on. I have the quad ripped apart so I can't verify with GPS disabled. I checked the Compass pins on the main board and everything looks good. In the Q500 GUI, the compass shows green. If I move the Q500 around while connected to the GUI, it does pop up a message that a compass calibration may be required. Also, in the GUI, I see a slight drift when the quad is not being moved. It slowly spins to the left..

I have emailed Yuneec support and will try calling them later.
Hello we have same situation.solved your issue already?

Dookie,

Yuneec finally agreed to RMA the quad. I'll post back here once they find a resolution. I was able to fly with the GPS disabled, though it still felt a bit unstable and sluggish.

Ok keep me posted.is it ok to fly with these flashing lights?or is it close to a compass failure causes to crash?

Ok keep me posted.is it ok to fly with these flashing lights?or is it close to a compass failure causes to crash?
If you are getting an orange flashing status light then you run the risk of erratic flight and the aircraft may not respond to the controls properly.

Yes yellow/orange flashes between flight.how can i get this out?already calibrated more than 10 times but nothing change.

Yes yellow/orange flashes between flight.how can i get this out?already calibrated more than 10 times but nothing change.
I mean if you toggle the sticks left right up down rapidly it will flash orange?i did this tried if quad response properly.

It sounds like the compass module may be bad. There are 2 different compass modules available depending on the model of Q500 you own. They are $15.
Search Beta

However, there are 63 screws that hold the Q500 airframe together so it's rather tedious to change it.

Omg.never tried opening my frame scary..is there a video how to do that?it flashes occasionally when flying.

Steve

Can you confirmed which of these two compass module?the one with the small chip or wire kit?i have typhoon q500 4k.

Attachments

• IMG_7497.PNG
    IMG_7497.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7498.PNG
    IMG_7498.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 20
Steve
it has two types of compass which will i buy for yuneec 4k? The one with wire kit only or the one witch small chip?

One of those Compasses is for the 4K(Black and Grey body) model, the other for the Q500 and Q500+(White and Black body). If your compass is located on the landing gear, then you have the Q500 or Q500+. If you do not see it there, the compass is inside the body and you have the 4K model. I had the exact same symptoms as you are describing and I tried replacing the Compass and GPS modules without any change. I still have the flashing orange light indicting a Compass Calibration is required. I was able to fly it without the GPS enabled, but it can get a bit tricky flying like that..

One of those Compasses is for the 4K(Black and Grey body) model, the other for the Q500 and Q500+(White and Black body). If your compass is located on the landing gear, then you have the Q500 or Q500+. If you do not see it there, the compass is inside the body and you have the 4K model. I had the exact same symptoms as you are describing and I tried replacing the Compass and GPS modules without any change. I still have the flashing orange light indicting a Compass Calibration is required. I was able to fly it without the GPS enabled, but it can get a bit tricky flying like that..

It happens when i start to climb up after i calibrate flashes but occasionally.i dont get it why.do i need to worry if compass failure/fly away could happen because of this?i fly but line of sight only i wont risk going far because of this flash.have you called yuneec on this?

Hi, I have the same problem you described. I had a crash, tore down the quad and change the air frame and now I have blink orange along with the mode light. (green/orange in smart etc) Did you ever find the reason for this. I spoke with Yuneec today and they couldn't help. I check the gray twisted cable going down to the compass and it ohms out good. I ordered a compass today but it sounds like it's not going to work. Just wondering if you found the problem?

I'll take a guess here. With the GPS on, the Flight Controller is comparing the compass heading to the GPS heading while it's moving. If the compass is off the FC will try to compensate which causes the drift. With the GPS off do you see the Green Arrow?
In any case, there is obviously a problem getting the compass information to the FC. Inspect the connector where the compass plugs in with a good magnifier and see if the pins look proper. You can take a toothpick and move them a little to see if they stay in place. If it looks okay, the next call will be to Yuneec.

I have this exact issue with the q500, was answer to this issue ever found? Yuneec couldn't help.

There is only the compass, the wiring/connectors and the main board where it plugs in. It has to be one of those. Replacing the compass will narrow it down to the main board if it's still not working.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval