Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Questions about Typhoon Q500 4K updates

Reaction score
Hello, all! I'm a new US member with a Q500 4K that's a few years old and I want to prepare it to fly again. The firmware shown for the aircraft in settings is 1.07. However, I've downloaded a file from Yuneec Skins with the filename of Q500_v1.07_09_28_2015.bin. It's unclear to me whether this is a newer version of the installed firmware. Should I make an update with the file?

Also, my ST-10+ displays a firmware version of st10+v01b27c so I went through the process of updating the ST-10+ with the file I downloaded (again from Yuneec Skins) st10+v01b31c. The process did not show any failure, but after completion the version is still showing st10+v01b27c. Should I try it again?

I was happy to find this forum and I'll appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks, in advance!!

First, a general "Sermon":
There are endless horror stories here on the Forum that started out with something like "I bought a drone and wanted to update the firmware". The rest of the saga is spent trying to resurrect the big plastic brick they have on the kitchen table.
Part of the issue in recovery is figuring out whether the update went bad, or whether there was a pre-existing issue and the new owner simply assumed the update caused the problem.
Please ensure you do some test flying with the drone as-is prior to attempting another update. That can save worlds of confusion later.

Updates are always risky. That's a fact. Doesn't matter if it's a drone, a controller or a camera. It is really worth considering if an update contains something you need badly enough to risk permanent loss of your equipment prior to doing an update. It's that bad.

OK, "preaching" is done.

Here are some things more specific to your issue:
1.) You drone is up to date.
2.) I'm not sure which process you used to update the ST10+. The instructions provided by Yuneec are ambiguous, and have led many into failed updates. I would recommend the more detailed update process outlined in Attachment 37 (ST10+ Firmware Update) of the PDF document attached to Way To Fix Drones project. If you already used Attachment 37, let us know and we can go from there to attempt a diagnosis of the issue.

And by the way, Welcome to the Forum. Glad to see you here.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Welcome to YuneecPilots!

You are in good hands with the guidance from @WTFDproject. If you run into anymore issues as you resurrect the Q500 feel free to post your concerns.

Reactions: yourpalfranc
First, a general "Sermon":
There are endless horror stories here on the Forum that started out with something like "I bought a drone and wanted to update the firmware". The rest of the saga is spent trying to resurrect the big plastic brick they have on the kitchen table.
Part of the issue in recovery is figuring out whether the update went bad, or whether there was a pre-existing issue and the new owner simply assumed the update caused the problem.
Please ensure you do some test flying with the drone as-is prior to attempting another update. That can save worlds of confusion later.

Updates are always risky. That's a fact. Doesn't matter if it's a drone, a controller or a camera. It is really worth considering if an update contains something you need badly enough to risk permanent loss of your equipment prior to doing an update. It's that bad.

OK, "preaching" is done.

Here are some things more specific to your issue:
1.) You drone is up to date.
2.) I'm not sure which process you used to update the ST10+. The instructions provided by Yuneec are ambiguous, and have led many into failed updates. I would recommend the more detailed update process outlined in Attachment 37 (ST10+ Firmware Update) of the PDF document attached to Way To Fix Drones project. If you already used Attachment 37, let us know and we can go from there to attempt a diagnosis of the issue.

And by the way, Welcome to the Forum. Glad to see you here.
Thanks for the honesty. I typically apply those upgrade rules in the IT world, but I wasn't sure how they applied outside it. I will do a little flying with the aircraft as-is. I was leaning in that direction anyway, and actually, I'd already downloaded your instructions on upgrading the ST-10+ firmware, but it looks like there's a lot of great information in Way to Fix Drones Project. Thanks again, and here's hoping my Q500 doesn't fly away like someone's Typhoon H did today!! Cheers!

Reactions: WTFDproject

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval