Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Questions from the newbie before 1st flight

Reaction score
I have purchased the 4k but stalling pickup to 1st week in Jan. Still practicing with the Syma X5C to get ready for the big guy. I've been reading the manuals online and looking at as many vids as I can to increase my knowledge. Here are some general questions that maybe you can help me with.
1. Should I do compass calibration before every session?
2.Should I charge the remote after every session as well as the batteries?
3.I know it was said in another thread but I still don't understand why you can't shoot vid and stills in the same flight when shooting 1080 60fps.
4.Here's the biggy....landing! How are most of you handling the landings. I've seen vids of normal, cutting engines an inch or 2 above the landing area and last but not least, THE CATCH! Also what surfaces do you find best to land on?
Any help would be most appreciated.

Hey! Congrats!
1- Calibrate when you get it. No need to calibrate every time if you're flying in the same area. I've read that if you fly 20+ miles away from your regular spot, then you should recalibrate.

2-I charge the transmitter when it's down to half. Regarding the aircraft's batteries. You REALLY need to learn about LiPo batts. YouTube them. You have to take care of them. Get some LiPo bags and an ammo can. They're fine IF you understand how to treat them. And don't leave them unattendeded while charging. I posted this, hope it helps.
Learning about LiPo batteries | Yuneec Drone Forum

3-Not sure. Still learning myself.

4-The bird will do a couple 'test landings' or bounce. When it's on the ground, you can let go of the stick and it'll sit there idling. Then if you're done, you hold the red button to kill the motors. I'm using grass and gravel as my landing zone.

You want to use a reasonably level area for take offs and landings. When you turn it on, the camera/gimbal levels itself. If you start on an unlevel surface, your vids won't be level. This only applies to side to side level.

I've had mine a month now and have done the catch twice. I didn't like it, I like my fingers. It's a bit spooky.:eek: I'll stick to ground landings when possible. I'll catch it if I have to.
:)

Last edited:
I pretty much flew my typhoon right out of the box but of course that was before i saw that you should calibrate it before doing anything.

High Everyone,
I would like to add a little to the good points already made.

Regarding calibration I regularly travel about 50 miles from where I calibrated and I do not calibrate but a couple of points might be worth considering which I apply, one is to place your aircraft on the ground and start it up once it is ready to fly move your aircraft about 4 feet and place it on the ground again and let it settle what this does is the satellites read the position again before takeoff and makes the signal stronger.

The other point I have is that once the ground station has registered the correct amount of satellites and you have a go then you can take off no problem and if you want to be even more assured then once in the air about 10 feet above ground move the aircraft left, right, back and forward and if it behaves normally you have no problem with flying in that location.

Regarding the bouncing on landing I made a helipad and it is about 5 inches off the ground and is about 4 feet square and has rows of holes approximately 2 inches apart and what it does it allows the down wash of the props through the holes and you get an amazingly smooth landing without bounce.

I hope this has helped.

regards everyone.

Reactions: Ddraiggoch
I have purchased the 4k but stalling pickup to 1st week in Jan. Still practicing with the Syma X5C to get ready for the big guy. I've been reading the manuals online and looking at as many vids as I can to increase my knowledge. Here are some general questions that maybe you can help me with.
1. Should I do compass calibration before every session?
2.Should I charge the remote after every session as well as the batteries?
3.I know it was said in another thread but I still don't understand why you can't shoot vid and stills in the same flight when shooting 1080 60fps.
4.Here's the biggy....landing! How are most of you handling the landings. I've seen vids of normal, cutting engines an inch or 2 above the landing area and last but not least, THE CATCH! Also what surfaces do you find best to land on?
Any help would be most appreciated.
Number 3: I think the answer isn't that you can't do both VID and Stills in the same flight, it's that you can't do them at the same time. I know to do "Still" shots, you have to stop recording videos first. That's my take on it. What I like doing best is to shoot video and screen capture stills from the video I've captured.

High Everyone,
I would like to add a little to the good points already made.

Regarding calibration I regularly travel about 50 miles from where I calibrated and I do not calibrate but a couple of points might be worth considering which I apply, one is to place your aircraft on the ground and start it up once it is ready to fly move your aircraft about 4 feet and place it on the ground again and let it settle what this does is the satellites read the position again before takeoff and makes the signal stronger.

The other point I have is that once the ground station has registered the correct amount of satellites and you have a go then you can take off no problem and if you want to be even more assured then once in the air about 10 feet above ground move the aircraft left, right, back and forward and if it behaves normally you have no problem with flying in that location.

Regarding the bouncing on landing I made a helipad and it is about 5 inches off the ground and is about 4 feet square and has rows of holes approximately 2 inches apart and what it does it allows the down wash of the props through the holes and you get an amazingly smooth landing without bounce.

I hope this has helped.

regards everyone.
Your landing pad idea sounds great.

Hi John N Kronyak, I have attached a photo of the Helipad for you it also has LED and Strobe lights for night flying.
Regards

Attachments

• 5-6-15 (4).JPG
    5-6-15 (4).JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 26
Reactions: Darkfalz71
Hi John N Kronyak, Thank you.
I am based in Australia and I do make them and sell for those special requests If you like you
can check my web site I have other items which may be of interest the address is: www.jmventerprises.com.au
regards,
John
Well sorry got the name wrong it should be STEPHEN FAORO

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop