Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Real World Range of H520 and E90

Reaction score
Does anyone have any practical knowledge of horizontal range for the ST16S (standard) and H520 with E90?

I was filming at a golf course yesterday and had 2 video losses and choppy, lagging video when it got beyond about 300m.

The documentation says up to 1.6km in ideal conditions.

It go so bad at one point I nearly flew into a tree on the other side of the green, as the video has frozen and whilst I had line of site, because it's an orange dot in the horizontal distance it was hard to tell just how far onto the green it was (as I was about 320m behind it).

My little DJI Spark gets more range than that without flickering :-(

The wifi signal doesn't seem to do well when the aircraft is low and a fair distance away. As soon as you gain altitude you should see the video improve greatly. If it doesn't then there may be a problem.

Reactions: journeyman
Which antenna where you using?
For distance you should be using the flat mushroom. Not the rounded one.

Which antenna where you using?
For distance you should be using the flat mushroom. Not the rounded one.
Thanks, @Haydn.

I was using the default rounded head antenna.

I had read that the flat one was better for distance, but more flaky with orientation, and since I was having to hide under trees sometimes to stay out of shot, etc I opted for the rounded omni-directional one. I also thought since I was well under the suggested usable distance (as in about 20% of it) that the rounded one would still be fine.

Have you had much experience with the flat headed antenna? Is it really sensitive to direction?

Or is it better to invest in an aftermarket antenna kit? Just not keen on spending more money on this at this stage...as well as then having to lug more kit around ;-)

The flat is definitely more directional.
I will be stocking the 4Hawks shortly.
I have a couple but they are for the stock ST16 not the newer ST16S
This should sort any of those issues.
They will be $160 Inc GST

Last edited by a moderator:
The flat is definitely more directional.
I will be stocking the 4Hawks shortly.
I have a couple but they are for the staff ST16 not the newer ST16S
This should sort any of those issues.
They will be $160 Inc GST
Cool. I'll have a play with the flat head and see what the benefits / limits are.
If that doesn't do the job, I'll look at the 4Hawks you will be getting in. Let me know when they arrive.
Cheers

@journeyman the omnidirectional antenna was pointed vertically to the sky or horizontally to the ground?

The directional, we all understand that it has to point to the aircraft by the cone shape that adopts the reception. The omnidirecional adopts a form of donut, let us remember that in the E90 we cannot change it and it is always omnidirectional. On the ST16 it has to be vertical because it is on the sides of the antenna itself where it receives the best signal. Also that as a donut, the center is empty so in the vertical, the drone above us, the signal has much lost.

@journeyman the omnidirectional antenna was pointed vertically to the sky or horizontally to the ground?

The directional, we all understand that it has to point to the aircraft by the cone shape that adopts the reception. The omnidirecional adopts a form of donut, let us remember that in the E90 we cannot change it and it is always omnidirectional. On the ST16 it has to be vertical because it is on the sides of the antenna itself where it receives the best signal. Also that as a donut, the center is empty so in the vertical, the drone above us, the signal has much lost.
@arruntus I didn't know that!

The rounded head antenna was pointed straight out from the controller.

So it should be turned up 90 degrees? Or 45 degrees?

Useful info. Thank you!

He has to aim for heaven. There are several reasons but the camera antenna points vertically so the receiving antenna has to point vertically as well.

Another important detail is knowing which area you are in. The firmware version of the camera, Europe, USA,.... The reason is that due to limitations in the different regions, the camera emits with more or less power and therefore increases or decreases the range.

300m seems to me very little, I have not made tests, I cannot say the rank of mine, I will make them. Still 600m should have with the omnidirectional antenna without any problems. If anyone has tested, can comment.

Reactions: journeyman
He has to aim for heaven. There are several reasons but the camera antenna points vertically so the receiving antenna has to point vertically as well.

Another important detail is knowing which area you are in. The firmware version of the camera, Europe, USA,.... The reason is that due to limitations in the different regions, the camera emits with more or less power and therefore increases or decreases the range.

300m seems to me very little, I have not made tests, I cannot say the rank of mine, I will make them. Still 600m should have with the omnidirectional antenna without any problems. If anyone has tested, can comment.
Next time I'm out @arruntus I'll give it a try and do some range testing at the local field if it's quiet.

Just about all the aftermarket range extending antennas incorporate a form of directional antenna to gain in range. The omni antennas used in aftermarket stuff are better than stock, but not tremendously. All directional antennas have to be aimed at the aircraft at all times, and the closer the aircraft is the better a directional antenna has to be aimed, although the effective cone of a directional is still pretty narrow at long distance.

The orientation of the stock mushroom omni antenna is really quite important. As Arruntus pointed out, they radiate and receive in an oblong donut pattern. It should always be maintained with a 90* vertical orientation to the aircraft. The stick antennas area also omni directional and should be positioned similar to the mushroom antenna. Doing that will increase your effective range considerably over what you experienced.

Thanks, @PatR - every day's a school day! ;-)

I'll set it up like that next time. Sorry @Haydn that might mean I hold off on the range extender :-/

Noooooooooo.
Haha.
Np mate.
I'll have them anyway. I'm pretty sure they will really help with penetration.
I'm also going to try it on an optus tower to see if it helps the control of it.

Considering the 520 will “continue the mission” and return even if link is lost extended range antennas are not a bad idea.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis