Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16/Ground station Antenna direction question

Reaction score
So I feel totally like a newbie by even asking this out loud.... but...
When you position/point your ground station antenna's, which way do you have them facing?
Vertical - as in bent so that they are facing straight up when the ground station is sitting flat, OR...
Sticking straight out from the back of the unit and facing towards wherever your bird is regardless of which angle you're holding the ground station at, OR...
More of a 45 degree angle upwards when your ground station is sitting flat, and approximately 30 degrees outwards from center towards each side?

I tend to do the last of those 3 options, but am curious what others choices are, and if there are better options that make more sense than what I am doing.
Thanks,
Alan
PS I fly a Typhoon H, but the question would stand for all ground station and drone combinations.

The best signal is strength is in a 90° angle to the antenna. The worst in front of its tip. So never point the antenna directly on your model.

Usually the best is to point both tips down, then bend them up 45° and adjust them in an angle of about 90° to each other. I hope you understand what I mean. It is not easy to explain.

More or less like in this image but holding the remote upside down: https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/...remote_1_83b5580b808bad7ac4c04426e3769595.jpg

The best signal is strength is in a 90° angle to the antenna. The worst in front of its tip. So never point the antenna directly on your model.

Usually the best is to point both tips down, then bend them up 45° and adjust them in an angle of about 90° to each other. I hope you understand what I mean. It is not easy to explain.

More or less like in this image but holding the remote upside down: https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/...remote_1_83b5580b808bad7ac4c04426e3769595.jpg
Hey Thanks so much for the input. I tried to click on the link, but it said access was forbidden sorry.

There are two versions of the ST16 that have the same number of antennas, but the later version has both RC control antennas mounted externally.

For the original position the antennas as you see here:
F834AF39-4833-4847-8500-F62470243C4E.jpeg
If you are using the patch antenna for the 5.8GHz WiFi video link position it as shown here and point at the aircraft all the time:
356216CF-A725-4061-9BA1-DF9C6525E372.jpeg
If you have the newer version with two whip antennas angle them up and pointing out at a 45 degree angle so they are at a 90 degree angle to each other:
B9B6CB2A-DB81-4538-93C1-72E67C3D71D6.jpeg
Hope this helps.

There are two versions of the ST16 that have the same number of antennas, but the later version has both RC control antennas mounted externally.

For the original position the antennas as you see here:
View attachment 24494
If you are using the patch antenna for the 5.8GHz WiFi video link position it as shown here and point at the aircraft all the time:
View attachment 24496
If you have the newer version with two whip antennas angle them up and pointing out at a 45 degree angle so they are at a 90 degree angle to each other:
View attachment 24495
Hope this helps.
This helps big time! :) Thanks so much. I have the original, but am planning on upgrading/modding it to have the 3rd Antenna so that I can put the range extender on it (4Hawks SR). Thanks again.

notice that the 4hawks shows a 90 degree polarization in specs for the 2.4ghz nav antennas, this is for their antennas inside box - thus likely best transmission is w/ std antennas at 90 degree, but the 4hawk is just patch antennas for all 3 antennas vs the wifi like multi antenna inside the std antennas (or is it just a single wire antenna like the old antennas?).

Polarization
Port 1: Vertical
Port 2: Vertical
Port 3: Vertical

you also can try the long 15/18dbi wifi antennas instead of std black 2.4 antennas.

there also was a very cheap 15db or so 5.8ghz vid patch antenna, had 4 patches vs the free 1 patch included, a bit more directional for all three 'enhanced' antennas but then so is the 4hawks more directional too, but then when far out enuf it does not matter too much for any, up high & close you need to re-aim the 5.8 at least - UP .

This helps big time! :) Thanks so much. I have the original, but am planning on upgrading/modding it to have the 3rd Antenna so that I can put the range extender on it (4Hawks SR). Thanks again.

Reactions: Seachange01

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval