Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16/Typhoon H480 - EU/FCC mode?

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how the controller and copter decide which transmitting mode will use?

I'm analyzing the transceiver section of both controller and drone and first I want to say that the SWR of stick ST16 antenna in all 2.4G band is no lower than 2. This will be repaired soon. Also soon will check how is the SWR in the 5.8G antenna, but probably will be the same.

Good antennas and switch both points to FCC mode gives me some good expectations.

Can someone explain to me how the controller and copter decide which transmitting mode will use?

I'm analyzing the transceiver section of both controller and drone and first I want to say that the SWR of stick ST16 antenna in all 2.4G band is no lower than 2. This will be repaired soon. Also soon will check how is the SWR in the 5.8G antenna, but probably will be the same.

Good antennas and switch both points to FCC mode gives me some good expectations.
I don't know where you live but in Europe FCC mode is illegal; only CE mode is used. Different countries have different laws and in UK, for example, your drone must always be VLOS in which case the standard TX and RX are powerful enough.

My H is unlocked for any altitude and any vicinity.

I'm asking for technical details. If you can help, just help. OK?

Well, ask Yuneec, they can give you the best information.
If it is like Dji, It is the geographical position of the drone given by the Gps which automatically switches the transmission mode by attenuating or increasing the signal strength, otherwise the Frequency band in 2.4 is the same in FCC or in EU.

My H is unlocked for any altitude and any vicinity.

I'm asking for technical details. If you can help, just help. OK?
Ok - one part of firmware you may have to deal with is USA vs EU. The EU firmware uses some form of channel hopping that is not included in the USA version, and I wonder if radio tx power is also set in firmware since EU is considerably lower power that USA.

Channel hopping is dedicated only with 5.8G WiFi in this situation. This is the reason for slow the camera connected to the controller. For ZigBee process is simple, and is as described in the protocol stack. The ZigBee IC can transmit in different powers, but interesting is this is limited by the manufacturer depends on the market for what is made, or it depends on the GPS position. Unfortunately, I haven't a power meter for these frequencies, but I'll arrange something ASAP.

Anybody has played with the ZigBee transceiver board? Some command set explanation will be welcome.

Yuneec doesn't give information for the simplest questions from the clients. About this, whim I'm interesting, they just know almost nothing. All firmware is developed by outsourcers. A lot of them are lost forever and so on.

Did you see, they close all downloads, what you're expecting to get from there in the future? Next Yuneec's step is to focus on commercial contracts, add one more zero to the prices, and sing their songs. Today just asked how much will they ask for H520E. $5300 EXW (China). Nice, ya?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you so down on Yuneec? Here, in UK, Yuneec have given good service for the lifetime of the H but markets have moved on. Why do you use inaccurate examples of prices - in UK H520E costs £1389 basic and then choice of camera such as E90 at £1099 - nowhere near your $5300!

The firmware is different on the camera only. The controller and aircraft have the same firmware for all countries.

No drone manufacturer provides details of their firmware. It's proprietary. All firmware of which I am familiar was written by engineering teams at Yuneec in China. However, Yuneec also utilizes engineers in other countries depending on the need.

Lack of understanding the firmware or operation does not make it inferior. It simply makes it unknown to you. Rather than continuing to complain about that which you don't know, ask questions and you will get some knowledgeable answers.

Reactions: Dilly Joat
Steve Carr, let me ask the one more time the question.

How the ST16 and craft switches from one transmitting mode to another?

All rest in your post I have ignored, because I don't see any lack of knowledge in my question. More than, the intentions of the manufacturer often don't meet clients' requirements and expectations. So any of the clients solve problems alone in a way which is personal for him/her.

Thank you for understanding. Let us discuss technical details, instead of a mental and moral one.

Steve Carr, let me ask the one more time the question.

How the ST16 and craft switches from one transmitting mode to another?

All rest in your post I have ignored, because I don't see any lack of knowledge in my question. More than, the intentions of the manufacturer often don't meet clients' requirements and expectations. So any of the clients solve problems alone in a way which is personal for him/her.

Thank you for understanding. Let us discuss technical details, instead of a mental and moral one.
I think Steve was being polite. Perhaps it's a language issue, but your posts appear quite frustrated with Yuneec for not doing what you expect. If you have specific requirements, please share them and the helpful people on here will do what they can to answer your questions. It is very difficult to answer questions if we don't know what you're trying to achieve.

My understanding is that the camera firmware sets the transmitting mode and power. There is an 'EC' firmware that sets a lower power, and a 'US' firmware that sets a higher power. This is due to the different legal requirements in Europe and America. In Europe, the transmitting power of mobile WiFi access points (the camera) is limited. The camera hardware appears to be the same in all countries.

This document might help a little: https://twevo.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/White-Paper-REVOsdr_DroneRadioRegulation_V2_sml.pdf

Some people choose to change the camera firmware to the US version, and report better connections. This, however, probably breaks your local regulations.

Reactions: DoomMeister
A hard deal, but we all will do communication. I'm sure.

My camera is with (A) firmware, which is with the highest power available. This isn't an issue.

My pretty technical question is the Yuneec engineers, as very helpful people, decide to meet CE requirements with SWR over 2 for the antenna, or here is more than this?

More clearly I can't ask. Enough is to be little technical involved, nothing more. Logic says I'll not get an adequate answer from these engineers if I'm right. If I'm not right, I still think the forum itself has the interest to get max from the investment. Everyone knows how to do with money, let us propose how to do with the brain.

I'm not an offensive person. just I'm from the dark side of the globe.

I *think* the transmission requirements are measured at the antenna connector, so SWR is not important for meeting regulations. If the transmitter is set to transmit at (say) 100mW, then this is the power output at the connector. The same antenna systems are used for all regions, so this is not how they meet CE requirements. (At least for power, noise may be another issue)

You can get higher performance antenna for the ST-16 - there are a range of options, and a few people have reviewed them on here previously. Some of them are only getting better results by being more directional, but you may be able to find measured SWR for them when connected to the ST-16 if that is important to you.

Reactions: Steve Carr
As I said, I'll measure the power soon. Just asked, no one before do this, but as I can see, this wasn't on the agenda yet.

Thank you for all. I'll post something when I have something new to share.

There are no Yuneec engineers on this forum. The one that was, would never divulge any useful information like you are asking for. He wanted to keep his job. I see the same type of thing in the DJI forums. DJI is as tight as Yuneec with tech information, if not more so.

All of us are owners just like you. Two of the most experimental members I know of are @h-elsner and @Pöllö .

You are on a good idea with matching antennas to get an SWR of 1:1! Will be interesting to see what you find to achieve this. It would also be great to find a way to ensure the Zigbees are working at Max power in both ST16 and aircraft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430