Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Test footage - Raw 1080p with post processing

Reaction score
I'm still figuring out the best settings to get the most out of the camera. This is some test footage with commentary on the settings used. I'd really welcome any comments and suggestions - what do you think?

Before anyone asks, the YouTube compression maxes out at 19Mbps, far lower than the original footage. :)

Reactions: yuneec53
I think we need to know what your camera settings were during the testing and what you did or did not do in post.

Your flying was very smooth. Content wise,I would fly a lot more closely and perhaps parallel to much of your subject matter also. This way you can intercut that footage to make your high over head content to covey whatever story you are trying to tell. Extreme wide shots do not allow the viewer to focus on a central subject within the frame. Unless the subject matter deems so,try to keep aerial videos to less than a minute. Anytime you can intercut footage from the ground can do wonders in holding the viewers interest.

As far as camera settings,I would attempt to always shoot as flat a picture as possible. RAW is what you have shot in and that is a great starting point. Manual camera settings produce the best results. When shooting 1080p 60FPS, be sure to set your shutter speed to 1/120TH of a second if you haven't already done so. try a bit

Your flying was very smooth. Content wise,I would fly a lot more closely and perhaps parallel to much of your subject matter also. This way you can intercut that footage to make your high over head content to covey whatever story you are trying to tell. Extreme wide shots do not allow the viewer to focus on a central subject within the frame. Unless the subject matter deems so,try to keep aerial videos to less than a minute. Anytime you can intercut footage from the ground can do wonders in holding the viewers interest.

As far as camera settings,I would attempt to always shoot as flat a picture as possible. RAW is what you have shot in and that is a great starting point. Manual camera settings produce the best results. When shooting 1080p 60FPS, be sure to set your shutter speed to 1/120TH of a second if you haven't already done so. try a bit

Just to be clear - I'm not looking for critique on the content. I took advantage of a family trip to the seaside to experiment. With the UK laws and just out of politeness, the camera deliberately doesn't get very close to anyone, and I didn't set out to make a film 'about' anything, just learn about general handling and settings. There was no plan beyond just taking off and flying around.

Lighting conditions weren't perfect and I shot in raw to test out how well I could post-process the image. I'm happy with the results, but interested in everyone's general feelings about image quality.

Stuff I've learned so far:
  • Shoot RAW, 10880p 60fps.
  • Don't use Auto white balance
  • If you're using auto exposure, dial it 1 stop darker to keep bright skies from washing out
  • Panning the camera is not as good as moving the drone
  • In post - push up saturation, add a little green, and sharpen slightly
  • Don't take off facing into the sun!
Stuff I'm still working on:
  • Colour grading is complicated!

For the Typhoon H camera, this looks rather good. You had nice slow movements which worked out nicely with your lens... speaking of the lens, I only noticed slight distortion in the upper corners, so you have a very well adjusted lens.

Also, that is a pretty interesting location you were visiting. With the tide out, it looked almost like postcard material. Did you take any photos of the area with the Typhoon?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis