Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Three ways of Landing

Reaction score
Hello,

On page 17 of the User Manual V1.0 has the "Landing" instructions as in the picture below.Landing.JPG

The 1st and 2nd landing way is OK. But for the 3rd way, my THP just descended straight down from where it was, finally landed on top of the tree. I tried to abort the landing as soon as I saw it descended straight down but I could not. I also tried to use the left joystick to acescent it but the aircraft did not response. The 3rd way instruction, I think is not clear enough. It should instruct the pilot to "Position the TYPHOON H PLUS above the area where you would like to land." then "Press the icon ( ), then slide the sliding block, and the aircraft will land automatically".

Have you ever tried the 3rd landing way?

I do it all the time. This got hashed out pretty well on FB. The 3rd method is ONLY for when you are hovering over the point you want to land. It is the opposite of the auto take off, which works nicely too.

Methods 1 and 3 are basically the same, except 3 does it for you. In effect you held the left stick down over a tree.

I do it all the time. This got hashed out pretty well on FB. The 3rd method is ONLY for when you are hovering over the point you want to land. It is the opposite of the auto take off, which works nicely too.

Methods 1 and 3 are basically the same, except 3 does it for you. In effect you held the left stick down over a tree.
But for the new flyers to TPH, if the pilot is lucky to have the aircraft not hover over the water or tree, the 3rd way Landing instruction seem to be OK. Otherwise the aircraft will landed on the unwanted area (top of the tree/house or water). To avoid this problem, the User Manual needs to add more instruction for the 3rd landing way. Also, Yuneec should add the "Abort Landing" function just in case the pilot wanted to cancel the landing like in my case. I tried to save my TPH but not thing I can do after I activated the 3rd way landing.

Manuals are notoriously difficult to get changed. While I agree that more words might make it more clear, most seem to understand the point. Plus the fair number of videos around help to make it clear as well.

I have not played around enough to know if there is a way to stop the auto land. If there is not, there should be. On that I will agree.

Manuals are notoriously difficult to get changed. While I agree that more words might make it more clear, most seem to understand the point. Plus the fair number of videos around help to make it clear as well.

I have not played around enough to know if there is a way to stop the auto land. If there is not, there should be. On that I will agree.
I could not find any YouTube landing video related to this 3rd way landing. As new to TPH, I tried to follow the User Manual as much as I can. Please let me know where to find those videos. Thanks a lot

Gotta agree with @nhanchi1003 on this one. In the world of writing procedures (instructions), there are things called "human error traps". Method one (fully manual), includes the guidance to place the bird over the desired landing spot.
Method 2, (fully automatic) does not need this advice, and doesn't present it.
The problem is that method 3 does need the guidance, but it's absence in method 3, especially when noted in comparison with method 1, creates the possible perception that it is NOT needed. It's a trap. With that said, there are lots of traps in these manuals. Once you realize that, you stand a better chance.
We were ALL new at this once.

Reactions: Jal7884
I'm less concerned about the instruction manual and more concerned if there is a abort method when using autoland. Beyond that, testing something with an unsure result over trees is never a good idea.

On page 17 of the User Manual V1.0 has the "Landing" instructions as in the picture below.
What @nhanchi1003 needs is the Revised H Plus manual available from this site, just click here: Typhoon_H_Plus_Manual
That step has been rewritten to mention it will land at its "Present Location". Over all this is a much better manual than the one you get from Yuneec.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm less concerned about the instruction manual and more concerned if there is a abort method when using autoland. Beyond that, testing something with an unsure result over trees is never a good idea.
I am not testing it. As a new THP pilot, I just followed the user manual. The phase "the aircraft will land automatically" made me thought that the aircraft will return to the home point then land.

Reactions: DCH
As a new THP pilot, I just followed the user manual. The phase "the aircraft will land automatically" made me thought that the aircraft will return to the home point then land.

I'm not a new pilot, but I am new to "Autopilot" features and Yuneec,;) I myself would have made the same mistake just reading that. Good thing I don't trust Autopilot yet, and good thing I don't read manuals!;) I saw the Autoland feature and decided to just leave it alone!

The trouble is, these flying cameras are aimed at the first-time user, and include Autopilot features that allow folks to fly them without any previous piloting experience. Whether you are new to RC, or an experienced pilot but new to Yuneec, the poorly written manuals make learning these new features risky, dangerous, and expen$ive when they aren't perfectly clear and without ambiguity.

Thankfully there are dedicated individuals here that put a lot of thought and effort to rewriting these manuals for us. ...I haven't mentioned it before, but thanks guys for the outstanding work on these!:cool:

I'm...more concerned if there is a abort method when using autoland.
I'm guessing here, but try flipping the Mode switch quickly from Angle to Sport. That cancels the auto RTL at low voltage, as well as any Task mission. But I'm curious why you would want to abort Autoland? Why not let it land then take off again?

Reactions: Bigplane
I'm guessing here, but try flipping the Mode switch quickly from Angle to Sport. That cancels the auto RTL at low voltage, as well as any Task mission. But I'm curious why you would want to abort Autoland? Why not let it land then take off again?
Just in case you change your mind.

Just in case you change your mind.
I see, well considering that you are typically within 4'~ 6' when you initiate it, you don't have much time. Only a girl can change her mind that fast!!;)

Reactions: Docdor
I see, well considering that you are typically within 4'~ 6' when you initiate it, you don't have much time. Only a girl can change her mind that fast!!;)
Or during on the way to the home point for landing, we might see something interesting and want to stop and record some beautiful sceneries, then we can cancel the Autoland.

Maybe you are confusing Autoland with RTH (Return to Home), where you might have a lot of time and distance to have something change your mind. Autoland is intended for after you return from your flight and are ready to commit to the landing. You should only be initiating Autoland 4'~8' above the intended landing point. There is little to change your mind about in this distance as your LZ should be clear, just as if you were manually landing.

Autoland hits it a bit harder than I like to land, seems rough on the gimbal, so I prefer to use the control sticks to touch down more gently.

Maybe you are confusing Autoland with RTH (Return to Home), where you might have a lot of time and distance to have something change your mind. Autoland is intended for after you return from your flight and are ready to commit to the landing. You should only be initiating Autoland 4'~8' above the intended landing point. There is little to change your mind about in this distance as your LZ should be clear, just as if you were manually landing.

Autoland hits it a bit harder than I like to land, seems rough on the gimbal, so I prefer to use the control sticks to touch down more gently.
While the THP User Manual does not use the word "Autoland", some of us have used the word "Autoland" in this post so I assumed that we are talking about the 2nd (Activate Home Mode) and the 3rd (slide the landing icon) way landing (Because the 1st way landing is clearly a manual landing)

Sorry if I confused the issue with any misnomers, it's already confusing without my help! Too many terms for the same and similar things.
To be clear, when I say Autoland, I mean the 3rd option with the icon and slider, and RTH would be 2nd option "Home Mode".

The case at hand is a good example. make a mistake, something looks wrong, etc. Always good to have a bail out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval