Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Thyphoon H #2, thought it was going to crash just now

Reaction score
Boy, until this latest flight, this one handled great compared to the first one I got which crashed into my pickup 8 days ago. Landings were very smooth, etc. Nice.

I took it up for some late day photos since a large ship was passing through the open bridge near our house and all seemed fine until I decided to land.

The only thing different about this flight is that at some point I realized I had accidentally bumped the switch into Smart mode and obstacle avoidance on but I put it into Angle mode turned off obstacle avoidance. I don't remember if that was shortly after take-off or what at this point, but it was not near the time when I was landing.

Everything seemed normal until maybe 30' above ground and the H did not want to come down any more! If I let go of the control stick, it went higher. Weird. I haven't looked at the handy dandy card yet with all of the colors on it but the big rear light in the rear was flashing purple and white (bluish white to me). I moved it from 25' away from me (facing away) to about 40' away and tried landing again and it did not want to come down! I was thinking of getting DC on the phone to figure out what the heck to do but figured I did not need anymore distractions and just needed to keep trying. I just held the throttle stick all the way down and it came down very slowly although it also seemed to want to drift away towards a tree in front of it. I wish now that I had turned the video on. Finally I made contact with ground with the landing gear but it wanted to tip over on me like my first unit. I just held it stead and pressed the power button and shut down the motors. I believe the taillight also flashed red then also.

I have no idea what had just happened. I had something like 19 satellites in coverage. I'm figuring I'll at least do another compass calibration again before flying.

THOUGHTS????

Last edited:
Just checked voltage on my battery with my multimeter, 15.31v. Not hot or anything though I landed 15-20 minutes ago now.

Boy, until this latest flight, this one handled great compared to the first one I got which crashed into my pickup 8 days ago. Landings were very smooth, etc. Nice.

I took it up for some late day photos since a large ship was passing through the open bridge near our house and all seemed fine until I decided to land.

The only thing different about this flight is that at some point I realized I had accidentally bumped the switch into Smart mode and obstacle avoidance on but I put it into Angle mode turned off obstacle avoidance. I don't remember if that was shortly after take-off or what at this point, but it was not near the time when I was landing.

Everything seemed normal until maybe 30' above ground and the H did not want to come down any more! If I let go of the control stick, it went higher. Weird. I haven't looked at the handy dandy card yet with all of the colors on it but the big rear light in the rear was flashing purple and while (bluish white to me). I moved it from 25' away from me (facing away) to about 40' away and tried landing again and it did not want to come down! I was thinking of getting DC on the phone to figure out what the heck to do but figured I did not need anymore distractions and just needed to keep trying. I just held the throttle stick all the way down and it came down very slowly although it also seemed to want to drift away towards a tree in front of it. I wish now that I had turned the video on. Finally I made contact with ground with the landing gear but it wanted to tip over on me like my first unit. I just held it stead and pressed the power button and shut down the motors. I believe the taillight also flashed red then also.

I have no idea what had just happened. I had something like 19 satellites in coverage. I'm figuring I'll at least do another compass calibration again before flying.

THOUGHTS????
Just what I was going to suggest, a compass calibration! One other thing, if you get in a bind like this or others Use Home to return it to home! AS LONG as you have nothing to get in the way at the 30' height it returns at!!! That reminds me! Anyone see in the GUI, if you can adjust the RTH height?
Harvey, did you have a cell phone or anything electronic/metal around you and the controller? Even if you are next to a car,tractor water tank, it will mess with the signal and GPS !

Just what I was going to suggest, a compass calibration! One other thing, if you get in a bind like this or others Use Home to return it to home! AS LONG as you have nothing to get in the way at the 30' height it returns at!!! That reminds me! Anyone see in the GUI, if you can adjust the RTH height?
Harvey, did you have a cell phone or anything electronic/metal around you and the controller? Even if you are next to a car,tractor water tank, it will mess with the signal and GPS !
I thought about trying RTH but was not in a big enough clearing to rely on that. If I didn't get it down when I did, I would probably have run as fast as I could out to my open field and then use RTH.

Yes, I had my cell phone in my shirt pocket. I have done so many other times including when you were calling me yesterday. Never been a problem before but something I am wondering about now.

I knew you would suggest a compass calibration, you're the king of compass calibrations! :)

Harvey, put it in Angle Mode and then cut the damned switch off ! LOL The obstacle one too! Just messing with you! Harvey if it acts up again, land it and send to Yuneec if you don't have a RC Shop near you and let them look into your GUI and see the settings, unless you have learned to do it.

Reactions: Jeffrey Solorio
I thought about trying RTH but was not in a big enough clearing to rely on that. If I didn't get it down when I did, I would probably have run as fast as I could out to my open field and then use RTH.

Yes, I had my cell phone in my shirt pocket. I have done so many other times including when you were calling me yesterday. Never been a problem before but something I am wondering about now.
It is well know fact, not to fly with your phone, even a watch on your body! My P went bonkers if I was even 6 feet from my Camaro! Jealous! LOL

Well known fact so they don't put anything in a manual or warning sheet?

I think blinking purple means GPS is disabled.

I knew you would suggest a compass calibration, you're the king of compass calibrations! :)
I asked the guy at Yuneec today and suggested doing them often, but then again , he was the same guy who did not know what a mushroom antenna was, call them tomorrow Harvey, ask for Andrew, he's good. That's what they are there for! Better than taking it up and having a repeat.
By the way, I have only done one calibration since she popped out of the box, but then I have been flying in the same spot, so no need!

Is that what the card light page say? Angle without gps lock blinks purple three times per second, then off for one second( I am sure you remember that! LOL)

Flashes purple 1 flash per second-continually is GPS disable, did you see Purple Haze All Thru My Head! Jimmy Hendricks 1969

You want to see Solid Purple- Angle-Full GPS

Welcome to the World of Yuneec, I saw it somewhere on one of the 52 cards in the deck(I mean pack) I think it was the JOKER !

Linda, I have no idea when I'll be home as I left my watch and phone at home. Have DC send the search party out if I don't return by dark!

Just flew again, no phone or watch on me, just my self defense firearm that stays with me..... and it flew and landed fine. BTW, my watch is a smart watch with bluetooth, maybe it talked to my phone and both were jealous?

Linda, I have no idea when I'll be home as I left my watch and phone at home. Have DC send the search party out if I don't return by dark!

Just flew again, no phone or watch on me, just my self defense firearm that stays with me..... and it flew and landed fine. BTW, my watch is a smart watch with bluetooth, maybe it talked to my phone and both were jealous?
I would find it difficult to believe a compass cal would have anything to do with this. Nor should a phone. You really need to talk to Yuneec to determine the issue. I always have my phone in my shirt pocket when I'm flying, although I set the wifi off when in sleep mode. If it does happen again, when you get 6-8" above the ground just hit the kill button. It will settle to the ground gently and won't tip over.

I would find it difficult to believe a compass cal would have anything to do with this. Nor should a phone. You really need to talk to Yuneec to determine the issue. I always have my phone in my shirt pocket when I'm flying, although I set the wifi off when in sleep mode. If it does happen again, when you get 6-8" above the ground just hit the kill button. It will settle to the ground gently and won't tip over.
Because of landing difficulties with unit #1, I became pretty proficient and landing and hitting the power button but this was a bit more difficult since it wouldn't hover at 6-8" off the ground. If I let go of the throttle stick it would go back up but holding it down brought it down very slowly. Since hitting the power button is about a 2 second process, timing had to be just right. It was tipping over some as I was holding down the power button and it was a race against time. I'll call about this tomorrow.

What about the LED status light (main LED light)? With my subsequent flight I had it flashing alternating from purple to white and I don't see that on the card but don't remember now what I had normally seen. My navigation skills are pretty good I think but trying to figure out the meaning of lights while flying is a bit daunting.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval