Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Training tips

Reaction score
What is the best way to hone your skills and become a proficient drone pilot.Anyone can fly a drone across a field or over a far distance and hit return to home,being able to orbit around a subject or structure smoothly takes skill and practice.Are there any courses or instructions that anyone could either share or point me in the right direction,or is it practice make perfect?

Have you ever thought about a drone simulator? For example RealFlight Drone Simulator lets you fly a drone on your PC. Using different points of view will give you the feeling over time. And a crash with the simulator costs you nothing. I found the 80 something € well spent.

Buy an MJX Bugs 3, $75 new in box, a few extra batteries and go out to the field with your hiking shoes on, cause you're gonna be !

No GPS, no altitude hold, no return home, you're on both sticks from the instant it leaves the ground, paint it orange cause that's easy to spot from a distance and hike too.
20 min. flight time, batteries are cheap, props are almost free and come in 6 packs,,,,,
They can crash a lot and keep on flyin'

I've got several small drones, favorite is the HolyStone HS200, it has altitude hold but at any distance you can't tell front from rear, I installed a super bright LED in the nose and that helps a bit at 200ft.
6min flight time per battery, I've got like 16 batteries for that one due to some confusion on Amazon,,,,,,,

Another one that's kind of fun and not too expensive, has a camera, the other two I just mentioned don't, but one that's not too bad at around $100 is the Hubsan 501, has Altitude hold, not too bad of a flyer, 15min flight time on a battery and brushless motors.

All three of these use common and easy to find Lipo's, so you'll also benefit from learning how Lipo's react to different charging scenarios without busting your wallet, you'll learn about cell resistance, balance charging.

Oh and before I forget, if you decide on the HolyStone HS200 never touch the return home button, it won't.
The brilliant engineer made that a dual purpous button, a short q"Quick" press ia return home, a slightly longer press is "Re-calibrate Controller" and when it goes into that mode it's sending all kinds of signals to the bird,,,,,,,,

Reactions: AJan
What is the best way to hone your skills and become a proficient drone pilot.Anyone can fly a drone across a field or over a far distance and hit return to home,being able to orbit around a subject or structure smoothly takes skill and practice.Are there any courses or instructions that anyone could either share or point me in the right direction,or is it practice make perfect?
I see you already have a new Yuneec drone, and perhaps are worried about crashing or losing such an expensive drone. You got it right, though, about practice making perfect. Suggestions given are good, but ultimately the solution is to fly, fly, and fly more.

Work your way logically through the various functions, make sure you understand the ST16S screen readouts. Practice by yourself with no distractions. Refer to the manuals and don't hesitate to ask questions here when stumped, lots of folks are always glad to help. Good luck, stay safe...

Buy some Hula-Hoops and several landing pads.

Go out to your park and, using tent stakes, stake the hoops to the ground in a random pattern. Put out the landing pads at 50’, 75’ and 100’ from you.

Start by slowly flying through the hoops, initially walking along behind your bird, then later from a fixed position. Use your depth perception and the camera FPV.

With the pads, fly to the 50’ pad and make a landing approach but stopping at 3’ hover where you would commit to landing. Look straight down with the camera and see how well you positioned the bird. Make corrections and land. Get to where you don’t need to look down with the camera and can land on the pad every time. Repeat with 75’ and 100’ pad.

Theres lots of low, slow and precise things to try: Fly a square, a triangle, fly 2’ above a fence, straight along it, etc. use your imagination. I’ve got a heavily wooded park I fly between the trees. They’re old oaks, 20-30’ apart with canopies starting at 15’. I walk around, behind the bird, flying between and around the trunks. (Make SURE RTH is set properly so it doesn’t suddenly climb up into the canopy!)

Use your imagination and push yourself. I think you’ll find that low, slow precise flying is more fun and rewarding than just flying laps at 200’.

Reactions: Railrunner
I won’t provide an easy answer because doing it right is not easy.

Learning basic control functions, backwards and forwards, in all orientations. Repeat over and over flying figure 8’s nose in and nose out, forward and reverse in both orientations.

Turn off the GPS and camera, learn to fly and maintain positions manually/visually in hover and maneuvering flight.

When you can perform that kind of flying without having to consciously think about which stick to use and when, you will have made a good start. You will be safe to start playing with the automated functions after that.

We must learn and understand “control” above all else. Buying a drone with automated flight features and using them all the time will make you proficient only with the use of an automated system. When automation fails, and it eventually will, you will be at the mercy of an out of control aircraft if you can’t effectively fly manually. It takes time, a lot of work, and endless repetition.

Thank you to everyone for the great suggestions and the useful tips and practices that i will and can use to help me become
a better pilot and not just a drone flyer.With my work schedule i am able to get at least 3 days of practice per week each time using 2 batteries of flight time,with the tips everyone has given me i can put together a practice routine and make sure
my airtime is more productive.Glad i stumbled across this Forum its been a real blessing,if the members cant solve your problems on this site they will point you in the right direction to get answers. Thanks again to All.

Thank you to everyone for the great suggestions and the useful tips and practices that i will and can use to help me become
a better pilot and not just a drone flyer.With my work schedule i am able to get at least 3 days of practice per week each time using 2 batteries of flight time,with the tips everyone has given me i can put together a practice routine and make sure
my airtime is more productive.Glad i stumbled across this Forum its been a real blessing,if the members cant solve your problems on this site they will point you in the right direction to get answers. Thanks again to All.

The best advice will gwt is take off the camera before you go through the above maneuvers. When you feel more comfortable flying the maneuvers described above then put the camera back on.
Cheers.
Mike

I won’t provide an easy answer because doing it right is not easy.

Learning basic control functions, backwards and forwards, in all orientations. Repeat over and over flying figure 8’s nose in and nose out, forward and reverse in both orientations.

Turn off the GPS and camera, learn to fly and maintain positions manually/visually in hover and maneuvering flight.

When you can perform that kind of flying without having to consciously think about which stick to use and when, you will have made a good start. You will be safe to start playing with the automated functions after that.

We must learn and understand “control” above all else. Buying a drone with automated flight features and using them all the time will make you proficient only with the use of an automated system. When automation fails, and it eventually will, you will be at the mercy of an out of control aircraft if you can’t effectively fly manually. It takes time, a lot of work, and endless repetition.
PatR,and Railunner,
That is the way I learnt 7 or 8 years ago, old Syma x5 x8 etc,no altitude hold no GPS. You had to know your machine and how to fly. Myself the figure 8 in forward motion then in reverse, gives you stick control and orientation . No tablet screens or phones etc , to distract you, your eyes on the craft at all times. Go out and fly a few cheap ones to get used to flying the the H without the camera, then work up with confidence and competence. Safe and happy flying. Johnno Hennessy.

Reactions: Railrunner
Lots of good advice here. One thing I would add is to understand the depth of skillsets needed to fly and operate a consumer drone and approach each or them systematically. You asked about flying, and while that is the primary skillset, a modern drone introduces a myriad of functions; both to the flying, and to the camera operation (which in and of itself is a subject that can take years to grasp all that is involved) that getting a grasp of all, is not something one will learn quickly and being prepared to accept the challenge is a good start.

Modern drones are sold as being very simple to get 'expert' results - nothing could be further from the truth.

I often use the example of a modern airliner. They are full of automation (somewhat like our drones) and practically fly themselves across continents with millions of passengers, thousands of times a day safely. So why do pilots NOT learn to fly on such advanced aircraft? Why then do we teach general aviation skills at all if automation is (in fact) so predominant in the field of aviation? Because pilots will miss the basics, and it is the basics that all pilots need to have ingrained into them as a second nature.

It is only after you have the basics of flight that you can (or should) go beyond, and begin to learn the systems of automation for flight and the intricacies of the given camera operation because these things must not be distractions when you are flying. I would say more than 95% of all losses of consumer drones are due to a pilot's neglect to stay mentally ahead of everything that their drone is doing due to reliance on some false belief that the 'equipment' possesses an answer to a problem that the pilot does not even see coming.

So I would echo what others have said - job 1 is to learn the true capabilities of your aircraft in terms of endurance and operations, as well as all of the interface between controller and aircraft. Do this first. Make sure you know what condition you can fly in and for how long. Know what happens, if circumstances arise and be able to react.

Mission number one is to always make sure that your take-offs and landings are equal - everything else will fall into place in time. ;)

I made a simple video that I posted a while back about building pilot skills and the importance of practicing the basics.

Lots of good advice here. One thing I would add is to understand the depth of skillsets needed to fly and operate a consumer drone and approach each or them systematically. You asked about flying, and while that is the primary skillset, a modern drone introduces a myriad of functions; both to the flying, and to the camera operation (which in and of itself is a subject that can take years to grasp all that is involved) that getting a grasp of all, is not something one will learn quickly and being prepared to accept the challenge is a good start.

Modern drones are sold as being very simple to get 'expert' results - nothing could be further from the truth.

I often use the example of a modern airliner. They are full of automation (somewhat like our drones) and practically fly themselves across continents with millions of passengers, thousands of times a day safely. So why do pilots NOT learn to fly on such advanced aircraft? Why then do we teach general aviation skills at all if automation is (in fact) so predominant in the field of aviation? Because pilots will miss the basics, and it is the basics that all pilots need to have ingrained into them as a second nature.

It is only after you have the basics of flight that you can (or should) go beyond, and begin to learn the systems of automation for flight and the intricacies of the given camera operation because these things must not be distractions when you are flying. I would say more than 95% of all losses of consumer drones are due to a pilot's neglect to stay mentally ahead of everything that their drone is doing due to reliance on some false belief that the 'equipment' possesses an answer to a problem that the pilot does not even see coming.

So I would echo what others have said - job 1 is to learn the true capabilities of your aircraft in terms of endurance and operations, as well as all of the interface between controller and aircraft. Do this first. Make sure you know what condition you can fly in and for how long. Know what happens, if circumstances arise and be able to react.

Mission number one is to always make sure that your take-offs and landings are equal - everything else will fall into place in time. ;)

I made a simple video that I posted a while back about building pilot skills and the importance of practicing the basics.

Thanks for the video Ty Pilot this will help me hone in on my skills and thanks for the creation of the carbon fiber tray i purchased one and its the best thing since slice bread. The H plus in my novice opinion is a stable smooth flying piece of
Cinematography equipment and i strive to learn how to use it to its fullest potential, first learn how not to crash it ,then learn the features of the camera.

Buy some Hula-Hoops and several landing pads.

Go out to your park and, using tent stakes, stake the hoops to the ground in a random pattern. Put out the landing pads at 50’, 75’ and 100’ from you.

Start by slowly flying through the hoops, initially walking along behind your bird, then later from a fixed position. Use your depth perception and the camera FPV.

With the pads, fly to the 50’ pad and make a landing approach but stopping at 3’ hover where you would commit to landing. Look straight down with the camera and see how well you positioned the bird. Make corrections and land. Get to where you don’t need to look down with the camera and can land on the pad every time. Repeat with 75’ and 100’ pad.

Theres lots of low, slow and precise things to try: Fly a square, a triangle, fly 2’ above a fence, straight along it, etc. use your imagination. I’ve got a heavily wooded park I fly between the trees. They’re old oaks, 20-30’ apart with canopies starting at 15’. I walk around, behind the bird, flying between and around the trunks. (Make SURE RTH is set properly so it doesn’t suddenly climb up into the canopy!)

Use your imagination and push yourself. I think you’ll find that low, slow precise flying is more fun and rewarding than just flying laps at 200’.
Fred are you suggesting flying through the Hula-hoops or putting them on the ground and putting the landing pads within the Hoops ?

• Sad
Reactions: Mike Irish
Fred are you suggesting flying through the Hula-hoops or putting them on the ground and putting the landing pads within the Hoops ?

Stake them to the ground standing up and fly through them....very slowly with care and precision. If you’re flying a Typhoon make sure you get the big sized hoops! I suggest using a smaller practice drone at first.

This brings a whole new meaning of jumping through hoops ?????.
Now on a more serious point I understand where Fred is coming from. The hoops would make for very good practice but for a beginner you at this stage now I wouldn't even think about hoope. Maybe later on yes it would make for really good practice it would keep you on your toes that's for sure.
Cheers.
Mike

Reactions: John Hennessy
Maybe I read the OP wrong....I wasn't under the impression he was a beginner as he said: "hone your skills".....I guess I just assumed he already knew how to control it.

Reactions: Mike Irish
I have been flying drones for appox 8 months,the first 6 months my wife told me i was like a drug addict and drones were my drug of choice,i purchased 9 of them both hobby and toy grade.Sorry i should have been a little more specific about my level of greenness (newbee).I do have a Holy Stone 150 Bolt bee and a WLtoys Q3333 ( DJI inspire 1 clone) which neither, have GPS lock or RTH. I can fly them well enough now after 2 months of practice not to lose them or walk all over the place to retrieve it because i had to ground them.

The H plus i just bought as we went into lock down from this COVID 19 pandemic and really have not had much of a chance to really practice with it because the High School where i fly is off limits until this past weekend.This H plus is a little more expensive than all my previous purchases and i am not afraid to admit its a little more intimidating for me.

Ty Pilot sent that video that was very helpful practice to combat the lost of orientation because of its shape, the hoop practice is a great idea to teach me where i am compared to what i see on the controller and it will force me to slow down and fly smoothly. I will take Freds suggestion and use one of my toy grade drone for the hoop practice and not the H plus.

Here's my K.I.S.S method of the Basics...;)

Attachments

• Practise Your Flying Skils 10.1.png
    Practise Your Flying Skils 10.1.png
    822.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Practise Your Flying Skils 10.2.png
    Practise Your Flying Skils 10.2.png
    725.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Practise Your Flying Skils 10.3.png
    Practise Your Flying Skils 10.3.png
    715.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Practise Your Flying Skils 10.4.png
    Practise Your Flying Skils 10.4.png
    695.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Practise Your Flying Skils 10.5.png
    Practise Your Flying Skils 10.5.png
    553.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Practise Your Flying Skils 10.6.png
    Practise Your Flying Skils 10.6.png
    550.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Practise Your Flying Skils 10.7.png
    Practise Your Flying Skils 10.7.png
    544.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Practise Your Flying Skils 10.8.png
    Practise Your Flying Skils 10.8.png
    880.8 KB · Views: 14
I have a little Tello. It’s a brilliant little indoor flyer. I sit in my recliner and fly all through the house. Down the hall, into the bedrooms, through the Jack & Jill bathroom, through another bedroom, out and up the stairs, over the balcony and down through the dining room and kitchen.....just everywhere nice and slow, precise. It’s great practice and perfect for those bad weather days you’re stuck inside. It’s fun too. The camera is kinda sad but it works. It even does flips.

The Tello’s Achilles Heel is it’s wi-fi...very weak. Got a little Mi extender and now get a solid signal all over. You can fly it outside, but it’s really limited in distance and wind....even a ceiling fan can toss it around a bit. Really it’s an indoor toy. I got a GameSir controller for it and that makes all the difference.

Stopped by a mirror for a selfie:

24611813-50CF-4271-9E32-43EA59812785.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold